Start by marking “GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)” as Want to Read:
GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)

GloomCookie (GloomCookie #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,120 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
GloomCookie s'attache à suivre les pas d'un groupe de personnages aux destins liés... de façon tout à fait originale. Il y a Lex, laquelle est amoureuse de Max. Max n'éprouve rien pour elle (quoique...) et aime la faire marcher. Il y a Isabella, la " Reine " de la communauté goth, qui aime exercer son emprise sur les autres. Et enfin, il y a Sebastian, lequel ignore tout d ...more
Published 2006 by Akileos (first published January 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about GloomCookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about GloomCookie

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
358th out of 2,296 books — 5,313 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus I by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonBatman by Frank Miller
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
205th out of 536 books — 432 voters

More lists with this book...

BookCupid
Dec 02, 2015 BookCupid rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
A collection of short stories about a group of Gothic characters, some monstrous others simply hexed, who more than anything want to be loved. The drawings were strangely artistic and disproportionate, nothing like I've seen before. Be sure to read vol 2, to see what happens to these characters, since many of their woes remained inconclusive.

TheFountainPenDiva
Gloomcookie reminds me so much of all my lovely and drama-filled goths in all their extravagant finery. It's sweet, dark, fun and yes, there's bound to be a real-life version of bad goth poet Vermilion somewhere. Serena Valentino knows this scene and writes both lovingly and bitingly about it while embracing its fantasy elements as well. Ted Naifeh's illustrations are amazing, especially Lex and Max--our woebegone couple. Will they or won't they?
Carrie
Feb 07, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
A goth soap opera/fairy tale! Filled with misunderstood monsters, vengeful curses, sensitive misfits, melodramatic romance, decadent settings, vampy outfits, bad poetry, and hilarious parodies of Goth angst and Gothlette cattiness, this is full of sweet, guilty pleasures that won't leave you feeling icky or stupid afterwards. The artwork is just as delectable. Out of the first three in the series - the only ones I've read so far - this has the best illustrations.
Jan 04, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some of the stories and drawings from this were just squishy. I loved the monster and the carnival macabre. Other elements were oogie. Some of the writing was awkward ("their" instead of "they're", etc.) but the bits that were delightful were so pleasing when coupled with the art that they carried me through. I would say some parts of this book averaged 4 stars and others 2, hence the overall score of 3.
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
Apr 12, 2010 CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Clair, Gaiman fans, goth fans, GOOD graphic novel fans
Loved it. Really really good graphic novel...this is only the beginning of the story as well. incorporates a lot of fairy tale myths and goth culture. It's dark, funny, weird and human.

Good good read!
Chris
Gothic fairy tale about love. Not quite as good as Valentino Fairy Tale series, but worth the read.
Erika
Jan 29, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
A bit mixed on this one. The art varies from crude to subtle, especially with the faces but overall it serves the stories well, especially considered how disjointed the stories can seem to be.

I enjoyed the common thread that runs through all of the stories but found them overall a bit hard to follow at first, I had to go back and reread the first few stories a few times to get my bearings, but once I figured out what was going on most everything else started to fall into place. I also enjoyed th
Ezekiel
Jul 17, 2015 Ezekiel rated it liked it
Content Notes: nudity, death, boundary violations, fatphobia in artist depictions

This was... nice? The structure, motifs, use of fantasy themes was all nice. The art was nice too, very stylistic and engaging (black line only). One problem I definitely do have though with the art was the way fatphobia presented itself, the main creeper character is a (relatively) fat guy, and no other characters are fat. I'm also going to critique the hell out of the fact that apparently only white people can be
Vanessa
Aug 18, 2014 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I remember buying this graphic novel years ago, and I never finished it. After picking it up around an hour ago and reading the whole thing, I know remember why.

Gloom Cookie is a comic that I would have expected to love. As a former weird, 'emo' kid at school, there is still a little bit of the goth child inside of me who is fascinated by all those tall dark strangers with the leather and pvc and black lipstick who used to dominate my local rock club back in the day (before it went downhill basi
Althea Ann
This is the first 'graphic novel' or compendium of this comic book, which is written by Valentino, and has been illustrated by different artists of her choosing. The art in this volume is all by Naifeh. I'd heard about this 'gothic' comic for a while, and my interest was piqued, so I picked it up from the library.

The story centers around a group of people in a goth scene, and features many stereotypes and kinds of characters that will quickly be recognized by anyone who's hung out in such a scen
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 24, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

What starts as what seems a random collection of unrelated stories slowly but surely start to coalesce, especially by volume 2. By then, you're likely hooked as the big picture unfolds.

The artwork is stylized but clean and the text is sparse and easy to follow. The writer has clearly defined the characters and they make sense in this sort of alternate fantastical reality.

I originally picked up the first volume at the lib
Misty
This is probably just under a 3 for me. It was cutish, fun artwork, interestingish fairytale-like storylines. Not a great piece of lit, but fun.

The basic story revolves around a group of goth club kids, some of whom are not so much "kids" as they are -- well, that would be telling, now wouldn't it?
The story is slightly cheeky, making fun of the scene in the way that only people who are a part of it and sincere can really do. There are a lot of fairytale elements woven in, and a creepy carnival,
Carson
Jun 02, 2015 Carson rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful series that was so hard for me to find at the library. This is in my top five books to have if I was stranded on a desert island. Ted Naifeh's art is perfect for the plot and characterization of Valentino's work.
All characters are loved, even the almost always bothersome Vermillion. You will start thinking Vermilion is an awesome name by the end of the series.
Mostly, I can't describe how much I love this series because it is infinity and beyond. It is the perfect quirky.
Aug 06, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
Too much drama for me. Liked the gothy overtones, parts reminded me of Courtney Crumrin. I wished it was funnier like I feel sick . Overall the drawing was good but eyes were always vacant (not in a creepy way, more like just missing, meaninglessly empty).
Mary
Nov 17, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Stilted and amatuer dialog was cringe-worthy, but the general thought behind the story was well done, and the artwork is dark and beautiful. Mostly enjoyed for the art - will continue the series if I can find copies through the library.
Hyzenthlay
Naifeh's art was cute, but I can't get over the poor proofreading. Won't be continuing, especially since he doesn't illustrate further volumes.
Lindsey
I have read other stuff from this author, but I have to say this is the most graphic of his stuff I have read. But I still loved the story.
Keridwen
May 15, 2015 Keridwen rated it it was ok
Graphic novel - mildly interesting, not sure I would read it again. I liked the artwork style though.
Michaela
Jun 13, 2014 Michaela rated it liked it
Cute. It was nice to reminisce over my hot topic days.
Kirsten
Collects the first six issues of the goth comic Gloomcookie. This was enjoyable; I really like the characters (especially Sebastian). It takes a while to pick up the pace, though, and form a solid storyline, and I felt that a lot of the story elements were sort of glossed over or not explained properly. Also, while Ted Naifeh is great at drawing facial expressions and characters, his action sequences are really confusing and tend towards the static. If the library gets the other collections, I'l ...more
Rebecka
Oct 17, 2015 Rebecka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon
Part of #readathon
Chibineko
Mar 15, 2011 Chibineko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this series up because it was recommended to me. I loved this book & it's artwork. The characters were cute, but at times I felt like the stories were a bit too fragmented. The storyline was very clear & linear, but at times I felt like the artists could have spent just a teensy bit more time filling in the blank spots between stories. There are parts to the story that just could have used a bit more finesse. Still, I would definately recommend this to fans of Courtney Crumrin, ...more
Pamster
A goth soap opera mixing the social politics of clubbing with supernatural intrigue, this graphic novel is super quick and fun. I kind of want to color it in all purple and pink. It serves as a good reminder that goth men are incredibly not hot. Like not hot to an extreme, like that is their whole entire mission is to not be hot even a tiny little bit. Not even warm. Recommended by Michelle, partly because she loves it, and partly because there is a character called Vermilion who is her boyf.
Monica
Dec 20, 2009 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to take a comic writing course from Serena Valentino this past year, although at the time I hadn't even heard of "Gloom Cookie"--I'm awful, right? But now that I've started reading the series, I can say with confidence that this book captures Serena's sassy yet whimsical style perfectly. It's silly and sentimental in all of the right places and I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Kristin
Feb 27, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this book. I am a fan of Ted Naifeh's illustrations and this book did not disappoint. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with the story. The book is a series of short tales all involving the same characters, but often with different settings. Some are more fairy tale and some are more urban fantasy. All-in-all, it was an enjoyable read.
tish
Oct 24, 2007 tish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few bits of this that I didn't love, like the use of the word oogie, but the larger storyline was great and I liked the art a lot. I really enjoyed Sebastian and his beast, and all of the carnival business--I'm looking forward to more of that! I will agree with Pam's review--goth men are not hot. oh Max, so pretty, yet so unappealing.
Kimberly
Aug 19, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful comic book! I couldn't put it down. The characters are so real and the dialogue flows like you're talking to your friends. The art in all of the Gloom Cookies are exceptional, even though each is by a different artist. I love the layered characters and the plot. I love Lex and the monster under the bed.
A really fun read.
Kate
May 24, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Courtney Crumrin series
Shelves: graphicnovels
Read this many moons ago, but I just realized I have missed two volumes in the last couple of years, so I decided to start over from the very beginning. I love the interconnectedness of the stories and how contemporary realism is intermixed with memory and myth. And of course, you can't go wrong with artwork by Ted Naifeh.
Sarah Cormier
May 20, 2012 Sarah Cormier rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I loved these stories when I was a goth teen and they're still good now. The main character is beautiful and a little sad. I love her best friend and his strange quiet little boyfriend. The circus story that comes later is cute and strange. A good quick read.
Jenny Plotsky
Jun 22, 2009 Jenny Plotsky rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
The illustrations are the best thing about this graphic novel. It may be worth reading for the little moments of greatness amid mediocrity. But overall as others have pointed out it tends to read like a soap opera which is really not my thing.
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Lenore: Wedgies
  • Death, Jr.
  • I Feel Sick #2
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners
Serena Valentino is best known for weaving tales that combine mythos and guile with her work on the comic book series GloomCookie and Nightmares & Fairy Tales published with SLG Publishing. Nightmares & Fairy Tales has earned her critical acclaim in both the comic and horror domain, where she is known for her unique style of storytelling, bringing her readers into exquisitely frightening w ...more
More about Serena Valentino...

GloomCookie (5 books)
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
  • Broken Curses (GloomCookie, #3)
  • The Carnival Wars (GloomCookie, #4)
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)