Start by marking “Jack and the Beanstalk” as Want to Read:
Jack and the Beanstalk

Jack and the Beanstalk

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A verse version of the tale first published in England in 1807.
Published April 19th 1982 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Beanstalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Beanstalk

Spencer Gold
Nov 08, 2011 Spencer Gold rated it really liked it

This version of Jack and the Beanstalk is different from the one I read as a child. I don't remember this story being so violent, but I liked this version better, which I believe is closer to the original. I felt Galdone's drawings fit in perfect with following the 1807 tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. I liked how he had a lot of white space on the pages where he is climbing the beanstalk or near the giant to help exaggerate how much bigger things were. I like the simple expressions that all the
Ashley Polansky
Theme(s): Rhyming, family, treasure
Opening line/sentence:
As Old Mother Twaddle
Was sweeping her floor,
She found a new sixpence
Under the door.
Brief Book Summary: This book is about a mother and her son (Jack). His mother wants him to buy her a goose. Instead he buys a bean and after planting it, it becomes a huge beanstalk where Jack was able to climb up. He found a house where a damsel and a gian
Paula
Dec 11, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your father’s “Jack and the Beanstalk.” Adapted and retold in verse from The History of Mother Twaddle and the Marvelous Achievements of Her Son Jack, this is a departure from the golden harps and eggs and bartered cow to which we are accustomed. The 1807 British tale is decidedly more violent: Jack beheads the giant with a knife. Jack does plant a single bean and it grows into a giant stalk. But at the top is not the giant’s wife but a maid that hides Jack from the giant and whom he ...more
Lenae Haley
Jan 20, 2016 Lenae Haley rated it really liked it
This book is about boy, Jack, that was sent to the market by his mother with a coin she found to buy a goose. When he went to the market he bought a bean plant instead. The person that sold it to him said it would grow oh so tall. When he got home his mother wasn't happy with him. The next morning the bean plant had grown so big. Jack climbed the beanstalk and met a damsel that warned him of the giant that lives in the beanstalk. The rest of the story is about what happens between Jack, the dams ...more
Jon-henry Kubej
This is a story about a boy Jack and his mother. They are desperately in need of money, so Jack was sent off by his mother to sell their cow for a good price. He ends up selling the cow for some "magic beans". This really upset his mother and in a fit of rage she threw the beans out the window and began to scold Jack for his decision.
The next morning Jack finds that the stalk grew into the clouds! It was huge! Jack decided to climb the beanstalk where he met a woman who knew his father. She to
Paula
Dec 10, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, clear, clear-group
This is a paper-over-board reissue of "The History of Mother Twaddle and The Marvelous Achievements of Her Son Jack" (1974) by Paul Galdone. The verse is straightforward and Galdone's classic illustrations are simple and uncluttered, allowing ample white space. An affordable option for libraries needing to update their folktale/fairytale collections.
Katie Nanney
This version of Jack and the Beanstalk was different because it was all done in rhyme. I'm not sure how I felt about it because I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork and the rhymes weren't all that creative. I can see a young child reading it and maybe using it to introduce poetry, but other than that, I really don't think I would ever use it or buy it.
babyhippoface
What? 2 stars for Paul Galdone?? Blasphemy. The thing is, I'm stumped. Every Paul Galdone version of a classic fairy tale I have ever read stays close to the most well-known version, except this one.

Jack chops off the giant's head with a knife the first time he falls asleep? What? No trading the cow? No trips up and down the beanstalk? No bag of gold? No singing harp? No goose that lays the golden eggs? What? Plus, this one rhymes. What's that about? I've never known Paul to rhyme!

Sorry, Paul,
Taya
Oct 15, 2009 Taya rated it it was ok
Shelves: pbgs-3
This piece was extremely consistent the whole way through with the appearance of both the text and the pictures. Each page had one side with the text centered and the first letter done in fancy script. The other side contained the picture to go along with each particular scene. This format was true for every page except the two where the giant spilled over onto the second page. I really thought this was effective for conveying the size difference between the giant and the other characters. This ...more
Alexis Fiore
Jan 26, 2014 Alexis Fiore rated it it was ok
Jack and the Beanstalk has always been one of my favorite folk tales. Paul Galdone told the story from the 1807 London version and I was not very fond of it. There was a girl living with giant, Jack killed the giant, and then he married the girl who was living with the giant. I would prefer to read the more known version that I was told as a child.
Emily
Mar 31, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite folklore stories to begin with, and this book did not help me change my mind. The story does not stay along with the original folklore told so many years ago. Jack was able to kill the giant after one attempt of him falling asleep. The only positive of this book was the rhyming, but I would not use it to introduce it to students.
Carol
Galdone is always a favorite!
Malorie Lofgreen
Mar 16, 2013 Malorie Lofgreen rated it it was ok
This version of "Jack and the Beanstalk" is a simple version that could be used for kindergarten through 2nd graders. The pictures are big and as well as the text, which makes it relatively easy to read. Some of the vocabulary might be a little difficult for the young ones to understand though.
Nicole
Mar 03, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
This version of the story is somewhat different from the classis one that I remember from when I was a child. This one is a good read though. I would use this book with kindergarten or first grade students to show them an example of a tall tale.
Angela
Oct 07, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-children
I like these versions by Galdone. This story is fun. It made me think about all the trickster personalities in stories.
Jocelin
Sep 20, 2010 Jocelin rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Little boring; the language in the book would definitely turn off young children.
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
This one was a bit morbid when it came time to get rid of the Giant.
Hector
Aug 22, 2008 Hector rated it it was amazing
Hector's favorite JATB version.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is a really funny book. T.R.
bluetyson
isbn,original
S. P.
S. P. marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Chaplain2
Chaplain2 rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Melanie Mclaughlin
Melanie Mclaughlin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jennifer Wagnon
Jennifer Wagnon marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
4 Starr Kids
4 Starr Kids rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Christina Broome
Christina Broome marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...