Song Without Words: The Photographs & Diaries of Countess Sophia Tolstoy

Song Without Words: The Photographs & Diaries of Countess Sophia Tolstoy

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Through never-before-seen photographs and intriguing personal diaries, this beautiful book provides an intimate glimpse into the lives of Countess Sophia Tolstoy and her husband, Leo Tolstoy—one of the greatest authors of all time—set against the grand and terrifying backdrop of aristocratic Russia on the brink of its demise.

Between 1885 and 1910, Countess Tolstoy made mo...more
Published September 18th 2007 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Song Without Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song Without Words

brian
this is a truly beautiful book. one of those, almost unbearably moving, that you only pull down in the middle of the night when it's cold and dark and still and hold at a distance so as not to stain the pages with tears...

the photos of lev tolstoy show a wild-eyed bearded stone-faced old coot: stern and distant and a bit mad. but one reads his books and stories and finds a man with, perhaps, a more tender and compassionate and complete understanding of humanity than any other writer... and then...more
Kelly
May 27, 2008 Kelly marked it as to-read
Shelves: grande-dames
Thank you for a lyrically beautiful review, brian.
Rebecca
I have a shameful (for a bookworm, anyway) confession to make: I've never read any of the big classics of the Russian heavyweights. Short stories by Gogol or Chekhov here and there, but that's about it. No Brothers Karamazov, no Gulag Archipelago, and definitely no War and Peace. Not even the relatively fluffy Doctor Zhivago. Is there a Russian phrase that means "lazy chickenshit"?

I picked up this, and other books about Leo and Sophia Tolstoy's marriage, after watching The Last Station a couple...more
Katie
This is a wonderful companion to the movie "The Last Station" about Tolstoy and Sophia. As a mother and photographer myself, I'm fascinated by women photographers from the Victorian age. Often they are upper class (they had to afford the equipment and have the leisure time) and middle aged (their children were older or grown so they had free time not devoted to motherhood). It's easy to dismiss them for taking portraits of family life or children, but the view through their lens is complex, imag...more
Mary
The truth about the much maligned Sophia Tolstoy is finally written. Sophia's cause in life is to preserve everything that concerned Tolstoy's life and work, an incredibly capable and loving woman who pushes her own needs to the side in order to support and care for Tolstoy and his genius. She is a woman of incredible strength and foresight. Carl Sandburg's wife also considered caring for her husband's genius, while managing their home, family and farm, to be her primary work in life. While Soph...more
Sue
Dec 28, 2007 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: skimmed
I had no great interest in the Tolstoys before skimming this book and developed none...the pictures are mainly self portraits or wedding anniversary photos of Sonya and Lev (Leo). He looks like a crabby old goat and they bickered and made each other unhappy for 48 years. What's to like?
Jane
Parker gave me this book for Christmas. It is a fascinating look at Sophia Tolstoy's life, love and photography. It has really made me want to do more with my own personal history. It is so ahead of it's time, if you like to blog....it's amazing.
Amanda
May 24, 2008 Amanda marked it as to-read
I'm not sure what it is about Russia that I find so romantic, Dr. Zhivago doesn't end well, Mrs. Anna Karenenenenenena doesn't end well, and it is supposed to be mafia dominated and cold. Yet there is something very intriguing there.
Pam
Perfect pairing with the Sophia Tolstoy biography. A chance to see her photographs and read some of her diary entries.
mia
this was so completely fascinating. beautiful book.
J
Worth reviewing. Wait for me here.
Sandra D
Fascinating photos.
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Katherine Wright
Katherine Wright is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
September
September marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Dencil
Dencil marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Laura Lee
Laura Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Photographs National Geographic: The Photographs Sam Abell: The Photographic Life National Geographic Photographs: The Milestones I grandi fotografi di National Geographic