Start by marking “Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist” as Want to Read:
Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist

Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  3,745 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Egon Schiele (1890-1918) - along with Oskar Kokoschka - is the painter who had the most long-lasting influence on the Vienna art scene after the great era of Klimt came to a close. After a short flirtation with Klimt's style, Schiele soon questioned the aesthetic orientation to the beautiful surface of the Viennese Art Nouveau with his rough and not easily accessible paint ...more
Published May 17th 2000 by Taschen (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Egon Schiele, 1890-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egon Schiele, 1890-1918

AC
Jul 12, 2011 AC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
The text is turgid, and I had no interest in reading it. The pictures are wonderful, and include many that I had never seen and which are not (apparently) very commonly discussed. This one, in particular, Child with Nimbus in a Meadow of Flowers (1909).... reminds me of Hiroshima

Kind mit Nimbus auf einer Blumenwiese, 1909
Barbarajean
Aug 23, 2007 Barbarajean rated it it was amazing
I'm going to resist listing all of the Egon Schiele Books I've read because really, the guy died at 28, there isn't too much to report about his career. All the books pretty much say the same thing. However, what little they have is enough to prove this guy was beyond his contemporaries. Excellent draftsman, superb eye for form (from a new perspective at that time period), his art is evocative and risqué. He lived 100 years ago and his art can still pass as modern as well as his hair style...no ...more
G tyler
Dec 29, 2007 G tyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists and those bored with conventional art
This book inspired me to teach a class on art to elementary students. The class was so controversial I was asked to never come back. Mission acomplished! It was the first time these kids paid any attention in an artclass ,Egon Schiele's art does that in all of us. Bravo.
Egon Makes Ugly into utter beauty!
Ruby
Jul 03, 2010 Ruby rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010, here
Well. I like Egon Schiele very very very much, but that doesn't necessarily makes this book great. I thought it was overly difficult, it went all over the place at times. I felt like the author got slightly sidetracked at times. What I don't really understand about the Taschen books in general: why put the paintings that you talk about not on the same page? And also: why include paintings you don't talk about and not include those that are discussed? But Schiele's paintings are interesting, a lo ...more
Deborah Pickstone
Taschen biography and review of Schiele's life and painting. There seems to be little in the way of biography of this outstanding painter who died tragically young in the 1918 Influenza epidemic. He was truly a genius and a favourite of mine.
Momo García
Mar 31, 2015 Momo García rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schiele, mi amorsh. Lástima que esta monografía sea tan pequeña. Aun así, vale su precio por las reproducciones que trae y por el texto que las acompaña. Buena introducción para quienes sólo conocíamos poco del buen Egon.
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 Mii rated it it was amazing
Great book! Pulled me in!
Branda
Jan 18, 2017 Branda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eu não gostei do texto, não o achei prazeiroso de ler e foi difícil me manter focada nele. No entanto, a arte é incrível. Minha nota se baseia somente no texto. Eu prefiro a narrativa dos outros títulos desta coleção.

I disliked the text, it wasn't pleasant to read and I struggled to keep focused on it. The art, however, is amazing. My rating is solely based on the text. I enjoy the narrative of the other books in this collection better.
Colin N.
Jul 25, 2011 Colin N. rated it liked it
Schiele's art had recently come to my attention through a few cosmic coincidences. First I read Llosa's "The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto" which predominately features Schiele's life and works, then I realized he was one of my sister's favorite artists, and so spent time looking at a book of his drawings, and finally I saw a few of his paintings in-person at the Neue Gallery in NYC. So, finding his life and art fascinating, I decided to pick up this book.

The book contains a number of excellent re
M Duncan
May 29, 2009 M Duncan rated it it was amazing
Offers an extremely well composed insight into Schiele's personality and his stylistic development. For the most part it doesn't get carried away with obscure art theories. Very informative, I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Schiele's life and work.
Bonny
Jan 17, 2012 Bonny rated it liked it
I would like to give a higher rating to this, but the writing was simply too dry and disjointed. I have to admit I began to skim the text, which I hardly ever do! I love Schiele's artwork, and that is the ultimate saving grace to this book!
Vladimir
Jan 31, 2009 Vladimir rated it it was ok
The book has a nice selection of Schiele's art, but the text is rambling, confusing, and poorly written.
Fugado De La Casita
Jan 08, 2016 Fugado De La Casita rated it really liked it
Nice overview of the work of Schiele. It keeps you reading and makes you feel like visiting his museum.
Niles Armstrong
Feb 06, 2008 Niles Armstrong rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
i haven't read much of the text in this book but it has a good collection of work. i like the minimal watercolor/ink pieces in particular.
Diana Mihaela
Diana Mihaela rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Intan
Intan rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Panny
Panny rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Dessay
Dessay rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Srkiboj
Srkiboj rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Tatjana
Tatjana rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Heather Redheader
Heather Redheader rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Emmanuel Rochereau
Emmanuel Rochereau rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Farahnaz Ostad
Farahnaz Ostad rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Matt Cummings
Matt Cummings rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Moath
Moath rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Ali Abdala
Ali Abdala rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Dheeraj Gulia
Dheeraj Gulia rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
  • Mondrian (Basic Art)
  • Caravaggio, 1571-1610
  • The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer
  • Bosch
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Amedeo Modigliani, 1884-1920: The Poetry of Seeing
  • Tamara de Lempicka 1898-1980 (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Cézanne (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Alphonse Mucha: The Spirit of Art Nouveau