Start by marking “La Tempête (Starcraft, #2)” as Want to Read:
La Tempête (Starcraft, #2)

La Tempête (Starcraft #2)

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Far in the future, 60,000 light-years from Earth, a loose confederacy of Terran exiles are locked in battle with the enigmatic Protoss and the ruthless Zerg Swarm. Each species struggles to ensure its own survival among the stars in a war that will herald the beginning of mankind's greatest chapter -- or foretell its violent, bloody end.

Bhekar Ro: a bleak, backwater world

Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about La Tempête, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Tempête

Tyler Juch
Apr 19, 2012 Tyler Juch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may be the worst book I have ever read. First of all, much of the writing is very cliche and boring. This might have been someone's middle school homework assignment. Without giving any of the plot away, I will say that about every other chapter I had to take a break to facepalm. Every chapter seems to be like it could be the first one of the book, such that the author likes to tell you things you already know. For example, I was probably given a (maybe brief) description of the Khala about ...more
Petrow
May 28, 2014 Petrow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.) Install starcraft & brood war
2.) Play a free-for-all with Terran against a Protoss and Zerg
3.) Get a notepad and start scribbling, what happened in the game
4.) ???
5.) Profit!

Usually I thrust very few 1* reviews. Mostly they are a form of ventillations of the cognitive dissonance and regret felt over the buying of a disliked product.
However, this deserves every single one.

For a non-starcraft fan: please, do yourself a favour and spend your bucks elsewhere. It's a hollow, dumb, boring piec
Series101
Jan 11, 2011 Series101 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This is one of the most horrible books I've ever read in my entire life, which is a shame. The first StarCraft book I read was "Speed of Darkness" by Tracy Hickman, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed a book based a computer game.

But this book? Shadow of the Xel'Naga? God awful piece of crap that does not make ANY sense at all.
Caitlin (Ayashi)
As someone who likes Starcraft and Starcraft lore I thought the book was fun to read. It doesn't really have any bearing on the overall Starcraft plot but there are still lots of references.

I don't know if Octavia ever comes up again - if she doesn't, it seems awfully weird to me that the book spends so much time showing the reader that she has these undeveloped powers but then aside from a few things it doesn't amount to much in the book. Toward the end I thought it might become an issue of str
Jhenry Marzo
Feb 14, 2014 Jhenry Marzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bhekar Ro: a bleak, backwater world on the fringe of the Terran Dominion, where every day is a struggle to survive for its handful of human colonists. It is a ve
Tsvetomir
May 03, 2013 Tsvetomir rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Доста скучна книга, дори и за заклети фенове на Старкрафт.
Niekryty Hejter
Dec 07, 2013 Niekryty Hejter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not even worst enemy
When I bought this book I was really excitied: I am pretty fan of SC series, so i thought: damn, this looks good, I need to read this! But in about middle of book I realized what a crap is that, and literally forced myself to read to the end. Why? This the worst book I have ever read: plot is as deep as camel's spit at the desert. Characters are doing so unrealistic decisions without any, really any sense, their emotions are just pathetic: "what does this buttom do? oh no, it killed my brother, ...more
Hyann
Apr 18, 2012 Hyann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could be a 3 stars, the basic plot was a good idea... but the end was boring and you could cut 100 pages and have the same story, lot of repetition.

It's Starcraft #2 but not really a triology. Yes you have characters coming back but only the authors didn't really portrait them well.
Most characters have only one dimension so when the authors introduced them, the first sentence say all and won't have any surprises from them for all the book.

Spoiler starting here.

First didn't like the main characte
Dino
Sep 10, 2015 Dino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, i'd question my objectivity on any book that's related to StarCraft, simply because i consider myself to be a HUGE fan of the series and the story. Bearing that in mind, this is my opinion on the book.

The story takes place between StarCraft and StarCraft : Brood Wars.

I'll be honest, when i first started reading the book i was like "Wait, who are these people ? Where is this planet ? Why should i care about any of this ?", but i said to myself that i would read all the StarCraft li
Felipe Guerrero
Apr 08, 2014 Felipe Guerrero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro bastante ameno sin ser una joya de la literatura pero que a fin de cuentas entretiene. Pero ahí es donde esta el meollo del asunto, es solo para entretener y nada mas.

Me recordó muchísimo a esas películas de los 80's en las que la trama transcurre en un pueblito desconocido en medio de la nada donde nunca ocurre nada importante y de pronto todo se sale de control cuando criaturas extrañas atacan a los lugareños. Algo similar a Critter, La Mancha Voraz o Gremlins.

Vi muchas malas reseñas
Phillip Dimarzo
Feb 03, 2009 Phillip Dimarzo added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
this is another book based off of the computer game starcraft, in this one they take u to the bleck planet of bhekar ro where two of the most unsuspecting characters find a artifact of such importance that all of the galaxies species come to this planet and duke it out for the right to own the artifact, the protoss are there because this artifact could be the missing key in their history and the terrans are there because they want to kill the protoss and well the zerg are there because they cant ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Renée
Jun 19, 2016 Renée rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awful. It's been a long time since I attempted to read it, but the most glaring thing I can remember is the author makes no attempt to build the world around the characters. Instead, they just name drop from the Starcraft video game. After the pleasant surprise of how good Liberty's Crusade was, this book shocked me back into the reality of what "From the hit video game" usually means.

I don't understand how it averages over three stars. It most certainly doesn't fit into the "ok" ca
Georgi Pachov
It felt too close to the mechanics of the game.

The vast description of all the units, their capabilities and weaknesses reminded me too much of the game itself and kind of hindered imagining the skirmishes. A little less projected exact game details would have been nicer...

It's an okay book, an interesting read for sure, but definitely far from top-drawer.

I liked Liberty's Crusade better.
Adowt
Feb 26, 2009 Adowt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this Read with three others. it is a fantastic book, with lots of survival themes especially in the middle and an overall mystery that keeps you guessing through the whole thing, it also has lots of fighting for those who like action stories, there is also a large plot twist at the end you dont want to miss.
Timothy McNeil
Anderson/Mestra (or Gabriel Mestra) don't develop the characters as well as Grubb did in the first book, but they do follow standard writing tropes enough to satisfy the reader. With the glaring exception of being able to describe the creature that others view as beautiful and perfect in a way that anyone alive today would see it as such.
Ovidiu Sky
Jan 04, 2009 Ovidiu Sky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This second volume of StarCraft is about the origin of the Protoss and Zergs - the origin is Xel'Naga (a cristal). Also this is a story of a terran colony under siege by the Zergs and their fight of survival.

I don't recommaned this book to anyone, this is a waste of time (for me was a waste of 6 hours of my life)
Trayan Sarafov
Dec 18, 2013 Trayan Sarafov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Страхотен епос! Изразните средства, с които боравят авторите са прекрасни и преводът също е страхотен. Ритъмът на книгата е брутален. Чете се плавно. Динамиката на действието е много добро - следят се поне две основни сюжетни линии. Героите са пъстри и разнообразни. Финалът е страхотен. Много добро четиво.
Issac
May 09, 2011 Issac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, kind of open ended, but I assume we get back to it later or in another book. Very awesome to have some deep background to the world of starcraft with the xel'naga. And extremely awesome scenes similar to game combat.
Corey
Nov 16, 2011 Corey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was ok. About what I expected really, nothing spectacular, pretty one dimensional characters, a light easy read to pass the time, especially if you love Starcraft.
Doc Kinne
Basic derivative fare. Nothing spectacular.
David Langlois
Oct 30, 2012 David Langlois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a fan of Starcraft, this book is very interesting. Not the best of the series, but still very good.
Elijah Gregory
Jul 02, 2009 Elijah Gregory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly done book
Pavol Gono
Český názov: Stín Xel'nagů
Preklad: Robert Major
Matt
Aug 04, 2011 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie, I didn't finish this book.. I tried hard but just didn't work... Its a whole lot of nothing in this story..
Jeshu
May 13, 2013 Jeshu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It deserved one star for being utterly boring, but I didn't cringe at it. It was still better than Eragon and Twilight, so here you have an extra star for trying.
Erik
Mar 09, 2010 Erik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reads almost exactly like the game plays.

Not that the game is bad, but it's not good for direct transition into book form.
Nisha
Oct 09, 2007 Nisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a piece of crap, imo. Don't even bother, even if you're an SC fan. I've read fanfiction written better than this.
James
Jan 06, 2008 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't recommend this for anyone who is not a Starcraft fan already. If you are a completist, then it is mildly diverting. Otherwise skip it.
Julian
Apr 23, 2012 Julian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a boring book on all accounts.
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Shadow Hunters (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #2)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost, #2)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • The Kingdom of Shadow (Diablo, #3)
  • Anvil Gate (Gears of War, #3)
  • StarCraft: Frontline, Volume 2

Starcraft (3 books)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)