Start by marking “Insects and Gardens: In Pursuit of a Garden Ecology” as Want to Read:
Insects and Gardens: In Pursuit of a Garden Ecology

Insects and Gardens: In Pursuit of a Garden Ecology

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Professional entomologist and amateur gardener Eric Grissell suggests that it might be time to declare a truce with the insects in our lives. With a sound basis in science and a practical grounding in gardening experience, Grissell introduces the reader to the role of insects in garden ecology. His insightful account of insect biology is supported by gorgeous photographs, ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Timber Press (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Insects and Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insects and Gardens

Kurt
Jun 22, 2007 Kurt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gardeners, naturalists, kids
Actually a funny book about insects in, with, and under gardens. Written from an ecological point of view by an entomologist. Wants gardeners to create diverse landscapes in order to promote balanced ecosystems in which insects take care of themselves. No chemicals. No problems.
Ann
With an easy, conversational style, Grissell presents an ecology of gardens without going totally native or natural. He leaves it up to the gardener to make these decisions but explains that regardless of what one chooses to plant, there are ecological factors that are best considered and worked with, not against. Of course, the focus of the book is on insects in this ecology and why the enlightened gardener would want them there, all kinds. Grissell gives an accessible introduction to insects i ...more
Adam
Eric Grissell tries really really hard in this book to advocate for the consideration of insects. He always assumes his reader is a gardener who has no use for them, who is totally unsympathetic. Since I came to this book looking to learn about insects in the garden because I am already there, already very interested, this was extremely tiresome.

As for the learning itself, I think this book just got to me a little too late. There are a lot of interesting things in here, but I knew most of them
Cynthia
While the writing is a little "scientific", this book is an excellent discussion on all the roles that insects (and insect-like creatures) play in the garden. I highly recommend this book for all gardeners, especially those that are interested in gardening organically and/or gardening for wildlife.

Oh, by the way, the photos are fantastic.
William
A look at entomology from the gardener's perspective.

Lots of good color photographs.

Has a tendency to stray into preachy.

Well worth reading.

Addendum: I read the book again in September 2010. The author is a passionate advocate for insects in the garden. This book is worth buying.
Peter
Oct 03, 2011 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gardeners, Naturalists
An marriage of Entymology and Urban Ecology containing a brief appraisal of insect classification and life cycles followed by their function in the garden and how we gardeners can make allowances for this.
A useful book!
Amanda
This book confirmed my commitment to growing primarily native species in my yard. I originally read a library copy & loved it so much, I bought my own copy.
Marianne Peters
I liked this book. Not terribly technical - great for the casual gardener who just wants to understand some basic ecology. It's a fun read!
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Marilynn Marsh
Marilynn Marsh marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Wendy Bousfield
Wendy Bousfield marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Ellie Dipietro
Ellie Dipietro marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Auvijit Paul
Auvijit Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Ken Weiner
Ken Weiner marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Raju Magar
Raju Magar marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Pete Rossington
Pete Rossington marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Bees, Wasps, and Ants: The Indispensable Role of Hymenoptera in Gardens A Journal In Thyme Thyme on My Hands A Revision Of Western Nearctic Species Of Torymus Dalman (Hymenoptera, Torymidae) Toryminae (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Torymidae): A Redefinition, Generic Classification, and Annotated World Catalog of Species