Aiden's Luck (Seattle Stories, #3)

Aiden's Luck (Seattle Stories #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Seattle Stories: Book Three

House-sitting for a friend is supposed to be a lucky break for Aiden Daly. Discovering his new housemate is the image of his first crush turns it into a nightmare. Marco de Luca is obviously interested in being more than housemates, but his resemblance to Aiden’s ideal man seems only skin-deep. Besides, Aiden doesn’t date.

Since his adoptive fathe...more
Published December 21st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Aiden's Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aiden's Luck

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
193rd out of 603 books — 1,397 voters
Chase in Shadow by Amy LaneBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie SextonFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsFinding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellShades of Gray by Brooke McKinley
Best M/M Hurt/Healing/Comfort Books
68th out of 339 books — 233 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
DNF at 40 %

Photobucket

About my rating
Based on the first 40 % of the story I'd've rated Aiden's Luck with 1 star. I added a second star because I don't know if the story would improve throughout the second half of the plot. Please bear with me but I'm not in the mood to write an in-depth review.

The gif relates to my decision that I might be done with this series. With that said I really don't mean to be disrespectful but Aiden's Luck was terribly, terribly boring. As I see it, the story could have been ti...more
julio
prego, signora riley.

description

richly rewarding, despite a stiff and expositional start. i found the language loosened up into the much more polished flow of memories and dialogue that is this author's métier.

as a romance, it's got it all: conflict, angst, and some very one-handed passages.

villains become heroes; heroes become human; and orphans find their homes.

my apartment is toilet-paper-town. i'm out of motherfucking tissues.
MandyM
4.5 stars. Aiden has been struggling to support his family since his father's suicide. He is living on the edge of a nervous breakdown, barely coping financially, working long hours, and unable to tell the truth to anyone. House-sitting for a friend gives him some much needed space until another guest, a forward, outspoken, beautiful Italian named Marco moves in with him. Marco shakes up his tightly wound world and Aiden tries to freeze him out. But as the cracks start to appear he realises Marc...more
Tutu
I’m going to start this review by answering the long awaited question: is this book worth reading? This is tricky to answer. It’s not as good as After Ben was but it’s better than Saving Sean. It may not leave you with the same appreciation for it that the first book did, but it also doesn’t leave you as disappointed as was the case with the second. I do not regret reading it, but if I’m being honest, I think it can be skipped.
I would definitely recommend it to those who liked the second book....more
Heller
I enjoyed this more than I expected to, it took me a long time to warm up to Aiden though. I found myself really frustrated with him for long chunks of the story...his anger, his martyrdom, his disconnection. I wanted someone to shake him. I was glad to see him begin to let go of his issues and accept that he can't do everything by himself. It made him a much more likeable character for me especially when he got over his Joel snit which has been bothering me for two books.

The story jumped around...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
This was not very good - and a disappointment after the strong first installment and the ok second one. I thought about why I didn't like it much and the most prominent reason is, that it indeed was boring. I think I would have liked it in fact better if I hadn't read the first two books. It felt very repetitive and the whole story was predictable and there was no development at all that came as an interesting turn. I think the main problem for me was, that Aiden's and Marco's story was too thor...more
Natalie
Dec 23, 2012 Natalie marked it as dnf
DNF at 50%(skimmed to the end). I didn't hate it, and I'm not sure I can articulate why I stopped reading, so bear with me. The narrative structure is frustrating. Chapters break before crucial moments, important stuff happens off page, then we read about it later in flashback. (Why?) Halfway through, I just wasn't warming to Aiden and there was too much going on yet nothing was progressing at a satisfying pace. On the plus side, I did love Marco's pushy sweetness....more
Anyta Sunday
2.5

This is the third book in the Seattle Stories series. Like with After Ben and Saving Sean, there are many things to like about this book.

These are the things I thought worked well:

1) The author delivers clever, well-written sentences, that make the imagery and emotion shine off the page.

2) The characters are mostly very likeable and three dimensional – not always perfect in their decisions – in this book you see a clear arc in how Aiden approaches his life.

3) Marco has a wonderful livelines...more
Lauraadriana
This might be my fave of the series so far. I wanted to take Marco home with me. I totally loved him. He was up in Aiden's grill ALL THE TIME and it was great!

Aiden we know from the past two books, and the dude is uptight, not very friendly and has been ambiguously gay as well...Especially since he's always hating on Joel his brother Evan's guy.

The thing is Aiden is dealing with a clusterfuck of MAJOR proportions. He has saddled himself with every kind of problem so that Evan and his mom never h...more
~~Still Dani ♥ skulls, ♂♂ smut & semi-colons~~
I sobbed my way through most of After Ben and had a hard time picking up the pieces. In the process, I fell in love with Ben, who was a very real, visceral presence in the first book. I love how he loved Theo, how nurturing he was, how good and funny, and about perfect. I wanted Ben...and then when Theo goes to Milan for closure...well, I met Marco, and...dear god, MARCO.

Of course, I had to read the third book. I skipped right through the second, because who cares about Sean?, and I wanted Pete...more
AnnaLund
Sep 04, 2013 AnnaLund rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of M/M romance, Romance, Life
Why am I not surprised? This story took off, just like the others in the series, and I flew with it.
I love the hardship and the problem-solving that happen, I adore Marco and his obnoxious, in-your-face-loving-ways, and I love that Aiden manages to finally take a step outside himself, and let the rest of the family help HIM, for once.

I adored Marco walking around in Ben's footsteps, trying to get a glimpse of all the things Ben had experienced in Seattle. It actually brought me to big snotty te...more
Bea
I just glanced at my friends list and of those who read this book, they seem to be a hit or miss on rating and enjoyment. So, take my review for what it is, just my opinion, you may or may not have the same reaction.

First off, I read this book hiding in my bedroom during the holiday while family was visiting. I stayed up until 3am, turning the pages furiously. I am very grateful for this book in keeping my sanity.

I loved the first book of the series, After Ben, there was just enough angst and co...more
Donnerhall
As with the author's first installment in this series, I found myself reading a story I had (sort of) read before. This was a fan fiction too but the writer has changed quite a bit and improved the story. Unfortunately it was kind of a disappointment, too long and not particularly interesting to read.
Melissa
I just finished Saving Sean a day ago and found out that Aiden's Luck was coming out the next day, to say I was happy is a gross understatement! I started this book about 12:30AM and couldn't put it down until I finished it about 6:45AM.

Aiden pulled me in from the start, grabbed me by the heart and said 'sit down and pay attention to my life' so I did. I *love* Aiden, like uncontrollably. I thought Peter was the most unselfish, loving, giving character I'd really read about in a long time but I...more
Pjm12
I totally agree with this review, so I just want to add a couple of other points.

- Riley makes excellent use of Seattle's weather to reflect the confusing and conflicting issues Aiden is dealing with. It was lovely.

- The disconcerting social issue of abuse against men is dealt with most profoundly in all of the Seattle books. Riley wants it be acknowledged and shows us what positive steps can be taken to help people. It also challenges readers to fight pre-conceived stereotyoes about not seeing...more
MLE
I really loved this book mostly because Aiden is one of my favorite characters. I understood his prickly, and defensive personality. I understood why Joel and Marco upset him, and I understood why he felt he had to do what he did. Ok, maybe the reason I liked him so much is that we have many of the same personality traits, and having someone push me in the way Joel does Aiden would have gotten the same reaction out of me. It was nice to see Aiden's growth over the course of the story, and I real...more
Rhys Ford
I liked Aiden and Marco's story a lot. I thought Riley's dealing with the aftermath of a parent's death to be particularly well written and Marco's European sensibilities shone through everything he did for Aiden.

Their relationship was a good buildup and ultimately, knitted together into a tight give-take.

Con Riley consistently delivers a good story, dealing with both loss and resurrection of spirit. Lots of intimate scenes and exploration.

Seriously a good read.
Kristina Sanchez
I knew I was saving the five for something. I could not be more enamored of Aiden and Marco.

I think the slow revelation of the hole Aiden had dug himself was masterfully plotted. A true look into the psyche of so many.

Marco was beautiful inside and out. And hilarious.

Looking forward to reading more about Drew and Jack and Levi in the future. Hoping for some cop and librarian loving. Unf.

As always, my biggest complaint is: NEEDS MORE MORGAN.
Posy Roberts
Aiden Daly is overwhelmed, stressed to near the breaking point, and he feels as if he needs to carry the burden of the entire world solely on his shoulders. At the very start of the book, you can sense this, but you don't really and truly understand all his burdens until later in the book, which is why I loved this story so much. I love a story to slowly unfold, to gradually reveal new insights as I turn the pages, and once again, Con Riley does that.

Is Aiden immediately likable? Well, to me he...more
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Book three in Con Riley's Seattle Stories and once again she has brought her great writing skills to Aiden and Marco's story and wow what a story. I've really looked forward to reading about these two,because they are such opposites it was intriguing to see how she would connect them..... exuberant , touchy feelie Marco and introverted, stubborn Aiden!Knowing now all the baggage he had to carry because of his fathers suicide and the secrets he had been keeping to himself ( all to protect his bro...more
K.C. Beaumont
One of the things I love about Con Riley's Seattle Stories series is that you don't need to read the books in sequence to fully enjoy them. Each installment stands firmly on its own. My having read the entire series to date might make one question how I can say that since I know the whole story and could quite possibly fill in any blanks with what I know of earlier installments. Yes, I have read the first three books—but I actually read Aiden's story first. I got to pre-read Aiden's Luck before...more
Crissy Morris
5 stars

A Joyfully Jay Review

When Aiden Daly agreed to house-sit for Peter, his goal was to spend some quiet time away from his brother, Evan, and Evan’s boyfriend, Joel. He didn’t expect to be stuck in a house with a talkative, nosy, flirtatious, bossy, irritating version of his first crush. Marco Fortunato de Luca was surely put on this earth to annoy Aiden into an early grave.

Aiden’s life is far from perfect, but he’s managing. After his father’s suicide five years ago, Aiden has done everythi...more
Simon
Book 3 in Con Riley's Seattle series and like Books 1 and 2, I loved it. Both protagonists in this novel were introduced to the reader in Book 2 as minor characters, its now a guessing game as to who will be the protagonists in Book 4 (please let there be a Book 4). My bets are on Joel the store assistant with the alcoholic brother and the muscley, buzz-cut policeman who's had a previous encounter with Aiden in this novel.
These novels are of a really decent length, superb character analysis and...more
Cyndi
Dec 23, 2012 Cyndi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I truly enjoyed this very angsty story of love, addiction, support, and family. I loved getting to spend time with Ben again and seeing his influence on the lives of Aiden and Marco. I loved Marco in this book - he became much more than just the annoying little brother of the fantastic Ben.

What I didn't like was how different Aiden was portrayed in this book verses how he was in After Ben and Saving Sean. I loved him in the first two books - he was such a strong, beautiful character and it was d...more
Ixel
Aug 24, 2014 Ixel added it
I liked the way Aiden's real situation and the reasons for it came out in stages - it felt as if I was getting to know the ins and outs of the character as more of his problems were revealed. I was really happy to connect with Evan and Joel again (I'd only read After Ben before this).

The representation of Marco, though, I had a bit of a problem with. I first noticed when his Italianness was marked over and over by his "loud, staccato speech" and "exaggerated" gestures - nothing wrong with that,...more
Rick
Aiden's Luck is by far the BEST of the series. The series continues to get better. Con Riley is an excellent story teller!!!! I can't wait for the next book - I want more of Aiden and Marco!!!!!!
Demoria
Con Riley is on my list of auto-buy authors. I read After Ben and loved it. I have Saving Sean but haven't gotten around to it yet.

It was disconcerting how well I relate to Aiden. Like Aiden I have anger issues, I awake with aching teeth and jaws from clenching so hard. I don't show my feelings, I'm not sure that I have them anymore. Conceal, don't feel.

The characters are beautifully developed and I loved that I got to visit with old faves, like Theo and Morgan, Joel and Evan. I wanted to five...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This man, the main character, by his nature, forced this writer's hand. By that I mean, she almost had to no choice but to write this story as she did. For as disconnected as I sometimes felt in reading it, that is Aiden, for a lot of this book. It may not make the most perfect reading experience, but it's 100% true to Aiden. And I get that. It's pretty ballsy, in a good way, to stay that path that the character demands. There is no choice, this is his life, take it or leave it.

A lot of this is...more
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Phenomenal!

Having read After Ben and Saving Sean months ago, I had to reread my reviews and skim through the books again, just to remind myself where the hell the situation between Marco and Aiden was left off. (risk of reading too much, I guess)

In a nutshell: Aiden can't stand Marco. Marco is trying his damnedest to get Aiden to open up and start talking his troubled mind. Aiden and Evan's mother is living in fragile denial and it appears that Aiden's store worker is stealing from him.

HOWEVER!!...more
Blue Bayou .
Aidan's Luck is not as good as After Ben but it isn't as bad as Saving Sean. (Personally for me)

I read some of the reviews. It was almost split 50/50 for awesome and I think I am done with the series.

This one will keep me hanging until the next installment if there is one.

Personally I can see the damage that Aiden inflicted on himself and Marco wasn't nearly as annoying as he was in Saving Sean (was about to strangle that Italian in Saving Sean).

Marco isn't spared his own personal crisis and...more
Dreamspinner Press: Aiden's Luck by Con Riley 3 92 Dec 23, 2012 10:45AM
  • Mourning Heaven
  • After the End
  • Something Like Autumn (Seasons, #3)
  • Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)
  • Spark (North Star, #1)
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • The Other Guy
  • Xylophone
  • Dirty Laundry (Cole McGinnis, #3)
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • If The Stars Fall (The Making of a Man #5)
  • The Nothingness of Ben
  • Second Time Lucky (A Middleton Romance #2)
  • The General and the Horse-Lord
  • Woke Up in a Strange Place
I'm away for the summer.

Need to talk to me? You can contact me here:

con.riley.fiction@gmail.com

or via twitter @con_riley

Happy reading, all. :)

More about Con Riley...
After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1) Saving Sean (Seattle Stories, #2) Salvage (Salvage Stories, #1) Recovery (Salvage Stories, #2)