Start by marking “A Promise to Love” as Want to Read:
A Promise to Love

A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods #2)

Ingrid Larsen, a young Swedish immigrant, arrives in Michigan in 1871 to search for her brother who has disappeared into the woods to work the dangerous lumber camps. Destitute and barely hanging on to hope, she encounters a newly-widowed farmer who is struggling to raise five children on his own. Marriage would solve both of their problems, and so Ingrid proposes to a man ...more
ebook
Published October 1st 2012 by Revell Books

Hannah
Jul 06, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah by: Kate
I was challenged to read this book by a friend and am so glad I did. It's a delightful story based on true events that happened to different people in history. There are moments of humor, suspense, pain, triumph—before you reach the end you'll definitely feel that you have lived life with these people. Ingrid and Joshua and their family are strong, multilayered characters, and even the animals (Buttons the horse and She-Wolf the dog) get their chance to save the day. Highly recommended.
Rachel Brand
GENRE: HISTORICAL ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: REVELL
PUBLICATION DATE: OCTOBER 01, 2012
RATING: 4.5 OUT OF 5 – EXCELLENT

PROS: Subtle, slow-burning romance; mystery element involving rudimentary medicine; unexplored section of history; great concluding suspense

CONS: Wished there had been a more sympathetic treatment of Diantha’s mental illness

Ingrid Larsen has travelled to American from Sweden with the hope of finding employment, after her brother informs her of how well he is doing working for a lumber cam
Sarita
This is actually the third book of the series, but can be read as a stand alone.

I enjoyed this book a lot. I loved the strong character of Ingrid, especially when she didn't kept quiet when she felt wronged. My favourite scene was where she went to Virgie and Richard's home and refused to leave until they gave her what she wanted. I loved that the author wrote her words in broken sentences - it made me as reader hear her voice as she would have sounded with her Swedish accent.

The plot with regar
bird
Oct 05, 2012 bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read this genre. I prefer my action-packed world war three dystopians or killer mermaid fantasy tales. Yet I found myself picking up A Promise to Love out of sheer boredom since my mom left it lying on the table and I didn't have any other books to read at the moment.

I found myself getting sucked into the story world and being unable to put the book down. It.Was.That.Good.

Throughout the story I had to remind myself that the Historical Fiction/Romance genre often has large amount
Katie W
I'm not sure what it was about this book, but I loved it!!!! Ingrid came to Michigan from Sweden in 1871 and worked for a very spoiled (mean) lady as a servant. Joshua's wife suddenly died, leaving him a widower with 5 young children. His in-laws feel that he is responsible for his wife's death and there is an inquest. It is determined that he is innocent, but the kids will be given to his in-laws, since he can't care for them. Ingrid stands up and offers to marry him and a marriage of convenien ...more
Emilee
Mar 15, 2013 Emilee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, michigan
This was not a romance story it was a true love story! 1 Corinthians 13. WOW! I am very impressed with this writer. This is the second book I have read by Miller, the first being the first book in this series, "The Measure of Katie Calloway". What I liked even more was the fact that this book was inspired by real-life events. I really enjoy historicals and this one sure hit the spot!
Staci
Jul 22, 2014 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was book three in the Michigan series. I very much enjoyed the second and third books. The first book was pretty good too.

The heroine was very strong in this story. My favorite aspect though was how much of A Promise to Love was based on fact.

Very enjoyable read!
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
4.5. I really, really enjoyed this one! Although it's part of a series it stands very well on its own. Full review to come.
Becky
A Promise to Love is a book that made me giddy. I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. Within a chapter or so, I knew it would be a gush-worthy book. I have loved plenty of books through the years, been happy to recommend even more books. But it's rare for me to get this excited about a book, this book just makes me super-happy. I just LOVE it so completely. (I already want to reread it!)

If you enjoy historical fiction, or, historical romance, then this is a MUST read. It is set in Michigan in the earl
Shari Larsen
Ingrid Larsen is a young Swedish immigrant who arrives in Michigan in the spring of 1871 to search for her brother, who has not been heard from since he went in search of work among the dangerous lumber camps. While she is searching, she finds work as a hired girl for a shopkeeper and his wife, but she is forced to leave that job when the woman becomes abusive towards her. Destitute, and barely hanging on to hope, she encounters a recently widowed farmer who is struggling to raise his 5 children ...more
Amber Stokes
Sep 17, 2012 Amber Stokes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Promise to Love drives home the point that Miller's books are not only unique compared to other novels in their genres, but also quite different from one another. There are several appearances of characters from The Measure of Katie Calloway in this story - which is a neat treat for fans - along with a "similar" climax in both plots, but the general feel of this story and the characters' issues make the reading experience quite different, indeed.

Ingrid is a woman who may seem easy to cast asid
Katie
Oct 27, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

The first book I read my Serena Miller, The Measure of Katie Calloway, easily made its way into my favorite’s bookshelf (and, no, it wasn’t just because of the heroine’s name, haha! ;-). Ever since, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of A Promise to Love since we had a few brief encounters with Ingrid in The Measure of Katie Calloway. I was instantly intrigued with her, and therefor delighted when I found out A Promise to Love was going to be cente
Melanie
Mar 15, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R4DTNIEZ...
Review on my blog (to be posted 10/23): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

A Promise to Love is another hit from Serena B. Miller! I absolutely loved it! I was surprised by the main character, Ingrid, - how strong she was and all the things she endured. There were many times I felt sad for her while reading this book because of things that were said/done to her.

The story was very good and I couldn't help but get caught up in what was
Rochelle
This a was a complete gem of a book! My heart is glowing after just now finishing it. I loved everything about it, and I can't believe it took me so long to come across!

Pros:
Ingrid (our heroine) was completely admirable in every way, and not in a sickly sweet, unrealistic way which you come across so often. You just had to close your eyes and shake your head every time Joshua said something stupid or acted unfeeling and have faith that Ingrid's enduring spirit wouldn't let it get her down.

Ing
Dawn
Sep 18, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swedish immigrant, Ingrid Larsen, is in Michigan searching for her missing twin brother. With nothing left to lose, she proposes to widowed farmer, Joshua Hunter, in order to ensure that his children aren't taken from him. Josh is still grieving the death of his wife. He doesn't really want a new woman around but she's managed to reunite all five of his children and for that he's very grateful. When circumstances force a temporary separation, Josh ends up finding Ingrid's brother while Ingrid mu ...more
Michelle
This novel was un-put-downable and I read it straight through. I know that's not a real word, but it best describes this compelling story as I simply couldn't set it aside. I read it straight through to the end. I always enjoy reading the afterward part of a novel that tells what portion of history a story is from and what really happened that the author based their story on. It's even cooler when there is some familial history involved.

As far as romance goes, this story was better than most. It
Tori
May 13, 2015 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. It was a marriage of convenience story. Ingrid is a Swedish immigrant who was working as a servant for a super mean, abusive woman. Joshua is a widowed farmer with 5 children. His grieving in-laws are trying to have the court take his kids away from him. Ingrid impulsively volunteers to marry him to save his kids and he accepts for the same reason.
I loved Ingrid. She was a strong, hardworking woman who loved unconditionally even when her feelings were hurt ov
Faye
Mar 15, 2012 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and engaging romance, that was hard to put down!

Ingrid is a brave, hardworking young woman, who is searching for her brother in the wilds of Michigan.
Joshua Hunter is a widower, in a battle to keep the custody of his children.
When Ingrid loses her job, marriage to the handsome Mr. Hunter seems like the perfect solution for both of them.

I loved this book! Let me just say that I had high expectations after reading last year's The Measure of Katie Calloway, and A Promise to Love more than
Carrie Pagels
This was a deep book that touched on some gritty subjects. SPOILER: Serena explores the little discussed use of products intended to end a pregnancy. She has a hero still in love with his very flawed deceased wife as Ingrid, a Swedish girl searching for her brother in the lumber camps, arrives in town. In this marriage of convenience she puts up with a lot of nonsense including verbal abuse from the deceased woman's mother. There is a charming secondary character who imparts godly wisdom. You'll ...more
Melissa T
And she strikes gold again!! I loved this book, too! Although the characters are completely new, I truly loved the story. It was completely different from the others. By the end I really loved this plucky Swedish girl and the family she adopted. Once again, the history was fascinating. One to her next book!
Haley
Dec 13, 2013 Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third in the series. I loved the characters. Loved reading about the characters in the first novel. I loved the story, the love of the colder and the tragedy that happened. I look forward to more from this author. 4 1/2 stars.
Amanda
May 28, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful story! Serena Miller blends her family's history and actual events to create one of the most memorable heroines I've met in a long time. Ingrid takes 'strong heroine' to the next level in this sweet story of the true meaning of love.
Rachel
May 29, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this well written historical novel. The characters were well drawn and were interesting. The plot was both sweet and intense. It's definitely a new favorite.
Jluker
Nov 28, 2014 Jluker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read....I've come to love Serena Miller's style and her characters. enjoyable and meaningful reading
Chesney
May 26, 2015 Chesney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story with lots of historical detail. Cool to know this was based on her grandmothers life story. I wanted to smack Joshua over the head a few times though.

Brittany
May 13, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book I liked it a lot better then the first book in the series the main character Ingrid she just drew me in she's what made this book special
Kathleen E.
Oct 21, 2012 Kathleen E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saturday, October 20, 2012
A Promise to Love by Serena B. Miller, ©2012

October 1, 2012
A Promise to Love: A Novel
Can a marriage of convenience ever become one of true love?
Lisa Johnson
Oct 27, 2012 Lisa Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: A Promise to Love
Author: Serena B. Miller
Pages: 329
Year: 2012
Publisher: Revell
A Promise to Love is a story in the fictional historical romance genre set in Michigan in the year 1871. The author uses vivid details to bring the characters and scenery to life. The emotions felt by the characters make them come alive in the reader’s mind. Several of the characters’ histories and events that take place in the story are factual events or based on factual accounts.
Joshua Hunter is a farmer,
Tamara Tilley
Oct 23, 2012 Tamara Tilley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Serena B. Miller proves that you can take an old formula and make it fresh with rich characters and writing skills that keep you turning page after page.

A PROMISE TO LOVE is another marriage of convenience story that has been told time and time again. But I promise you, it does not read like an old, tired, plot outline. Miller’s writing is so fresh and so tight, I finished the book is less than twelve hours.

Ingrid Larsen has come to America from Sweden to experience the American dream of freedom
Victor Gentile
Oct 19, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serena B. Miller in her new book “A Promise To Love” published by Revell Books takes us into the life of Ingrid Larsen in 1871.

From the back cover: Can a marriage of convenience ever become one of true love?

Ingrid Larsen arrives in Michigan in 1871 with little more than the clothes on her back and a determination to find her brother, who has disappeared into the dangerous lumber camps. Destitute and barely hanging on to hope, the young Swedish immigrant crosses paths with Joshua Hunter, a newly
  • A Love Surrendered (Winds of Change, #3)
  • A Flight of Fancy (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #2)
  • Twice Promised (The Blue Willow Brides, #2)
  • The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow (Avenue of Dreams, #2)
  • Through Rushing Water
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie, #8)
  • Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy, #1)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Burning Sky
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • When Love Comes My Way
  • Waiting for Spring (Westward Winds, #2)
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)
  • Mary's Blessing (McKenna's Daughters, #2)
  • A Love Forbidden (Heart of the Rockies, #2)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • A Bride for All Seasons
  • A Bride Opens Shop in El Dorado, California
I live only a few miles from a flourishing Amish community and am blessed to count many Old Order Amish as friends. Love Finds You In Sugarcreek, Ohio is a natural outgrowth of my on-going fascination with these valiant, flawed people who struggle to live their lives according to their interpretation of the Bible. Once, when I apologized for asking so many questions while researching this book, an ...more
More about Serena B. Miller...

Michigan Northwoods (3 books)
  • The Measure of Katie Calloway (Michigan Northwoods, #1)
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)