Start by marking “500 Ideas for Small Spaces: Easy Solutions for Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less” as Want to Read:

All over the world, consumers are discovering the merits of the small space lifestyle, abandoning the work and burdensome expense that goes with living in a "McMansion" in favor of the elegance and practicality of living in cozier spaces. From young homeowners who have rediscovered the joys of loft-style homes in the city , to empty-nesters who prefer smaller, more managea ...more
Published August 15th 2007 by Cool Springs Press

To ask other readers questions about 500 Ideas for Small Spaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Ideas for Small Spaces

Feb 04, 2008 Evan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestics
I loved this book for the following reasons:

1. The titular "500 ideas" were laid out as 500 actual nuggets of information, broken down by the room type. This made the book incredibly quick to read, and useful for those only interested in decorating certain rooms (in my case, the home office and the bathroom)

2. I like that the definition of "small spaces" is clearly laid out as living spaces that are less than 1000 square feet. So often I'd bring a book home on small house decorating, and the aut
Book  Guardian
Feb 08, 2013 Book Guardian rated it did not like it
Shelves: waste-of-time
I liked the pictures, but it seemed that too many of the ideas weren't about organization or even how to live in small spaces...and some weren't even specific to small spaces! I honestly rolled my eyes at a few of the suggestions. Also some of the pictures didn't describe the outcome of the ideas so it wasn't clear what the author meant by her suggestion or how to implement the suggestion. Especially for renting spaces, when you don't have a ton of leeway in terms of customizing, say, built-ins. ...more
Mar 06, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
It was great for getting quick information and pieces of advice along with photographs that demonstrated how a room could be put together. I mainly needed it to get ideas for how to set up or maximize my space in the house I will be moving into. It also has a few do-it-yourself projects throughout the book. I also enjoyed the fact it would talk about colors that would be important to consider in a smaller room.
Oct 25, 2013 Sylvia rated it liked it
I can't imagine myself living in most of these spaces. They look like they were designed for someone who's a lot more serious than I am. The impression that I got from flipping through this book was very beige, and when there are colours, they are all "let's make the whole room purple"... That said! It's good for ideas, and I'll definitely come back to this if I were to start a decorating project.
Apr 30, 2011 Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-diy
I appreciated the layout of this book -- all 500 ideas are laid out as clean, separate ideas. Its easy to quickly page through and find what appeals to you and works for your home/vision, and I found a number of good suggestions for my longterm and short term projects! Most of the ideas are adaptable to your personal style and taste.
Feb 12, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: house-and-home
This book is heavily dominated by Ikea furnishings. I recommend the Ikea catalog or website how-to section rather than this book. However, if you are new to Ikea, this might not be a bad way to see how their furniture can work out in a small space.
May 06, 2011 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: home-decor
This was essentially a glorified Ikea catalog. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Ikea, but when I see 500 Ideas, I think I'm getting some fresh and new ideas...l not just a re-hashing of catalog photos.
Dec 11, 2013 Darci rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Lots of great pictures, but really only good info if you are starting from scratch. Not a lot of decorating ideas, more remodeling ideas. Fun to read though!
Apr 16, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
A range of ideas, appropriate for owned and rented places of various sizes and dimensions. Grouped by room, many different decorating styles and price points are supported.
Kimberley Seldon
Aug 05, 2016 Kimberley Seldon rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to write....after all, even clients with large homes have spaces they deem too small.
Oct 08, 2011 Martha added it
reads likes a staid college textbook, not the designer's vibrant personality; best ideas are in the use of bookshelves
Jun 08, 2013 Emmkay rated it it was ok
Meh. A few things I will keep in mind, but a bit vague and repetitive. The 'small spaces' were awfully spacious compared to mine, as well, which is a little discouraging.
Priscilla rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2010
Liz rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2013
H rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2010
Kelli rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Patty rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Bashanne rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Christa rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2008
May 14, 2012 Sian rated it it was ok
library book - some ideas were a bit silly but still worth the look
Coffcat rated it liked it
May 05, 2009
Patrick McDowell
Patrick McDowell rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Lesley rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2011
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2011
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Alicechung0515 rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Susan Williams
Susan Williams rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015