Start by marking “500 Ideas for Small Spaces: Easy Solutions for Living in 1000 Square Feet or Less” as Want to Read:

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  20 reviews
All over the world, consumers are discovering the merits of the small space lifestyle, abandoning the work and burdensome expense that goes with living in a "McMansion" in favor of the elegance and practicality of living in cozier spaces. From young homeowners who have rediscovered the joys of loft-style homes in the city , to empty-nesters who prefer smaller, more managea ...more
Published August 15th 2007 by Cool Springs Press

To ask other readers questions about 500 Ideas for Small Spaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Ideas for Small Spaces

Evan
I loved this book for the following reasons:

1. The titular "500 ideas" were laid out as 500 actual nuggets of information, broken down by the room type. This made the book incredibly quick to read, and useful for those only interested in decorating certain rooms (in my case, the home office and the bathroom)

2. I like that the definition of "small spaces" is clearly laid out as living spaces that are less than 1000 square feet. So often I'd bring a book home on small house decorating, and the aut
Book  Guardian
I liked the pictures, but it seemed that too many of the ideas weren't about organization or even how to live in small spaces...and some weren't even specific to small spaces! I honestly rolled my eyes at a few of the suggestions. Also some of the pictures didn't describe the outcome of the ideas so it wasn't clear what the author meant by her suggestion or how to implement the suggestion. Especially for renting spaces, when you don't have a ton of leeway in terms of customizing, say, built-ins. ...more
Jaime
It was great for getting quick information and pieces of advice along with photographs that demonstrated how a room could be put together. I mainly needed it to get ideas for how to set up or maximize my space in the house I will be moving into. It also has a few do-it-yourself projects throughout the book. I also enjoyed the fact it would talk about colors that would be important to consider in a smaller room.
Sylvia
I can't imagine myself living in most of these spaces. They look like they were designed for someone who's a lot more serious than I am. The impression that I got from flipping through this book was very beige, and when there are colours, they are all "let's make the whole room purple"... That said! It's good for ideas, and I'll definitely come back to this if I were to start a decorating project.
Ali
I appreciated the layout of this book -- all 500 ideas are laid out as clean, separate ideas. Its easy to quickly page through and find what appeals to you and works for your home/vision, and I found a number of good suggestions for my longterm and short term projects! Most of the ideas are adaptable to your personal style and taste.
This book is heavily dominated by Ikea furnishings. I recommend the Ikea catalog or website how-to section rather than this book. However, if you are new to Ikea, this might not be a bad way to see how their furniture can work out in a small space.
Molly
This was essentially a glorified Ikea catalog. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Ikea, but when I see 500 Ideas, I think I'm getting some fresh and new ideas...l not just a re-hashing of catalog photos.
Kate
A range of ideas, appropriate for owned and rented places of various sizes and dimensions. Grouped by room, many different decorating styles and price points are supported.
Emmkay
Meh. A few things I will keep in mind, but a bit vague and repetitive. The 'small spaces' were awfully spacious compared to mine, as well, which is a little discouraging.
Darci
Lots of great pictures, but really only good info if you are starting from scratch. Not a lot of decorating ideas, more remodeling ideas. Fun to read though!
Martha
Oct 08, 2011 Martha added it
reads likes a staid college textbook, not the designer's vibrant personality; best ideas are in the use of bookshelves
Kimberley Seldon
This was a fun book to write....after all, even clients with large homes have spaces they deem too small.
Lori Mason
Disappointing. Just pics with commentary. No explanations or how-to suggestions.
Sian
library book - some ideas were a bit silly but still worth the look
Candy
Too choppy- just one idea after another with no overall plan.
Heather
This book had fleeting moments, but overall, it became dated fast.
Amy
Discovered some interesting ideas for small kitchens and baths.
MBP
Has some good, practical ideas, but got repetitive after a while.
Apr 27, 2009 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: home
This book was more about decorating than organizing.
Meadow
Some great ideas but a house too late.
Katie Petitt
Katie Petitt marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
N
N marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Sister_Si
Sister_Si is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
İbrahim Çakır
İbrahim Çakır marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Business of Design: Part I Kimberley Seldon's Business of Design: Part II (Volume 2)