The Murder Exchange

The Murder Exchange

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When ex-mercenary Max Iversson accompanies a nightclub owner to an ill-fated rendezvous in a deserted north London industrial estate, it turns out to be not so much a set-up as a bloodbath. Three men have been shot, the briefcase Iversson has been guarding is empty--and he wants to know why.

So begins a hunt for answers that will take him into direct conflict with Detective...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder Exchange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder Exchange

Girl Afraid by Ciarán WestOn Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian FlemingThe 39 Steps by John BuchanThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Good Old British Thrillers
38th out of 96 books — 48 voters
Siege by Simon KernickRelentless by Simon KernickSevered by Simon KernickThe Last 10 Seconds by Simon KernickThe Business of Dying by Simon Kernick
Favourite Simon Kernick Books
10th out of 11 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Maddy
RATING: 4.5

Max Iversson is an ex-mercenary who has partnered with an old buddy, Joe Riggs, to form a security firm called Tiger Solutions. When Max is offered $5,000 for a slam dunk security assignment by the owner of the Arcadia Nightclub, Ray Fowler, he can't turn it down. Max and a few of his operatives bring Fowler to a meet with some businessmen who are supposed to be buying his club, when things go horribly awry.

The Arcadia Club seems to be in the center of the criminal universe. First of...more
Dan
Apr 26, 2014 Dan added it
I have decided against giving this book a star rating as I feel that the story was greatly let down by the terrible narration by Dave John. I think that the story was plausible, but I couldn't get into it due to John's reading. Firstly, he used the same (annoying East London - verging on Cockney) accent for both Iverson's and Gallon's first person narration which didn't help in identifying with the characters or following the different perspectives. I also felt that the dialogues were awful, but...more
Joe
I quite enjoyed this 2nd Simon Kernick novel, I was pleasantly surprised as wasn't expecting too much if I'm an honest. I like the use & reference of characters in Kenricks Debut novel - similar to an other
UK other Michael Robotham.

The novel has plenty of violence pretty much what you would expect from a gritty London Underworld novel.
Toni Osborne
This thriller/mystery may be Simon Kernick’s second novel but far from the second one I have read through the years. I am just catching up with his repertoire. In fact, I have highly recommended his novels in the past and I have a sneaking impression I will do so for many more years, yes I admit being a huge fan….

“The Murder Exchange” is a gritty exploration of London’s underworld. The engaging plot is cleverly written, has a touch of humour to it and provides numerous twists to keep us tuned in...more
Lukasz Pruski
The five star rating scale implies the following categories: Excellent, Good, OK (Satisfactory), Poor, Failure. Three stars is exactly what this book deserves. It is an OK book. It is a satisfactory book. Nothing more and nothing less. "The Business of Dying" (four stars from me) by the same author has a wonderful undercurrent of moral ambiguity. It is more than just a crime story. Despite the total idiocy of its fast-action ending, "The Business of Dying" got me thinking.

No thinking needed in "...more
Best Crime Books
I am slowly working my way through Simon Kernick's books and this is the second book he released. Simon Kernick has a very certain type of writing style. His books are usually very fast paced and normally it takes only a matter of a chapter or two before you are thrown in at the deep end of a story.

This book followed the same format and we dive straight into Max Iversson's bad decision and when it all goes wrong. However, although you are thrown in at the deep end very quickly, the suspense leve...more
Emma
John
The second of the books by Simon Kernick and already I can spot that his plots are slightly formulaic. [It was obvious with 100 pages to go who was responsible for some of the plot outcomes and who would not be alive at the end of the book.]

However, all is not doom and gloom with the book as the story was fast paced and, although so full of action, twists and turns that it was almost unbelievable, it is an interesting read, reasonably enjoyable and has characters for whom I felt some sympathy. T...more
Alan
I have only given three stars. The reason is that I found the plot somewhat protracted on occasions. This said I have enjoyed a number of the later books and it maybe that I was expecting more. Please read it for yourself though and make up your own mind. I will definitely be reading more Simon Kernick.
Gary
This is a rare occasion for me marking so low on one of my favourite authors Simon Kernick. I didn't enjoy this book at all and maybe it was because it was one of his early books but I found it predictable and lacking the usual high standard I have got used to. If you are no familiar with his work read one of his later books which are of a particular high standard.
Redfox5
This picked up after about 100 pages and I've been reading it for the last couple of hours and enjoying every minute. It's typical Kernick. Lots of twists and turns. More bodies than clues. I felt the two main characters were fairly similar. I think I would have got confused if their sections had not had their names above them. I liked them both until the end where I started to like Max less. But then he lied to the reader in his POV which just seemed like an odd thing to do. I mean he's basical...more
Lorraine
I usually really like Simon Kernick books but this one just didnt live up to expectations for me
Sean Peters
Hi,

another book read by Simon Kernick, a little slower to start with but
builds to a fast pace in the second half, and you follow the story with the two
main characters.

As usual lots of characters, and following it from two very different
personalities, lots of guessing?

The last few chapters were very exciting.

Enjoy

regards

Sean

Sue Flanagan
Was ok, this was I thought more of a mans book, it took longer for me to read, as I was not into it as much as some of his other work.
Caroline
Probably my least favourite of his books. I didn't think the story flowed particularly well, and it certainly wasn't as much of a page-turner as some of his other thrillers. Worth a read, though, if you're a fan.
Frances
Decent thriller, though the switching out perspectives during the near-climactic fight felt like a bit of a cheat and threw me out of the action. Still, solid, and will probably check out more by him.
Big Bertha
Plenty of action, shoot-outs with dead bodies all over the place and if you like your thrillers fast paced with very little depth then this is probably the author and the book for you.
Tony Rothwell
Just Started it. But well impressed so far.

Now finished. A good and slightly unusual pot boiler told in the first person from the point of view of the goody and the baddy. It works.
Sjm77
A friend recommended this author and I wasn't disappointed. This is the first Simon Kernick book I have read and I really enjoyed it. So much so I plan on reading all his other books!
Wendy
A good read but I'm started to find this style of writing a little samey and predictable. I'd worked out a couple of the storyline twists quote a while before they were revealed.
David Hull
Simple, but jolly, London Crime Caper. A swift and fun read.
Pauline
Another very good read from this author.
Pedro
Enjoyed it, but not my favorite from Mr. Kernick.
David
Lots of twists to this one and very enjoyable.
Tania
Tania is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
  • In The Dark
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Burial
  • London Calling
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • The Intruders
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Kiss of Evil (Jack Paris, #2)
  • Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss
  • Random
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion...more
More about Simon Kernick...
Relentless Deadline Severed The Last 10 Seconds Siege