Severed

Severed

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,142 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Straight off I knew it was going to be a bad day. The room was stifling hot; and when I did finally manage to drag open my eyes, all I could see was blood. I thought I'd stepped into the middle of a nightmare.

But I was wrong. The nightmare was only just beginning.

Ex-soldier Sean Tyler wakes up in an unfamiliar room next to the headless corpse of a girl he's met recently...more
Published June 18th 2007 by Bantam Press

Girl Afraid by Ciarán WestFrankenstein by Mary Shelley1984 by George OrwellA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensOn Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming
Good Old British Thrillers
11th out of 114 books — 51 voters
Siege by Simon KernickSevered by Simon KernickThe Last 10 Seconds by Simon KernickThe Business of Dying by Simon KernickThe Payback by Simon Kernick
Favourite Simon Kernick Books
2nd out of 11 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Veronika
I don´t know what to say. It was mysterious, it was unexpected, it was really bad day... But I was impressed. Throughout the whole book the author took you in the knowledge that you cannot find out who is behind all the events. And I have to say. There were only few moments I thought I know who is behind everything and as I found out in the end I was really mistaken... Only thing I knew was that if I were that man I would rather die than to fight like he had to, that I wouldn´t survive - better...more
Magan Chang
If you're looking for a book involving tons of fight scenes with a dash of mystery, this is a book for you. If you're looking for something that's more of a psychological thriller, then this probably isn't a book for you. "Severed" by Simon Kernick is a mystery novel involving a fast-paced plot and new pieces of information being thrown constantly at you.

Imagine waking up in a bed, seemingly alone. Everything is quiet when your eyes are drawn to drops of red strewn all over the bedsheets. Slowly...more
Jim
At the start of this book, Tyler, the central character, wakes up in a house he doesn't recognise. He's clearly been drugged, and when he rolls over to get his bearings, he finds the badly mutilated remains of his girlfriend next to him.

Soon after, he gets a phone call that tells him that if he doesn't do certain things, the police will be called and evidence will be presented to them that suggests that he was involved in the mutilation.

He follows the instructions, but because he clearly can't...more
Phillip
You know that a Simon Kernick novel is going to grab your attention from the very first sentence and this doesn't disappoint. Your thrust straight into the action as the main character Dan Tyler wakes up to find the decapitated body of his new girlfriend lying next to him in a pool of blood in a place he doesn't recognise and with no memory of the events leading up to it. He then finds himself doing a job for a mysterious man who tells him that if he doesn't complete the job the murder weapon an...more
Andy
Another fantastic book from one of my favourite authors.
You can`t lose with any book written by Simon Kernick.
Lukasz Pruski
Simon Kernick’s “Severed” made me realize what a useful skill speed-reading is. First, though, I gave the book a chance and read almost one hundred pages, paying close attention to the text. The remaining 400 pages took me under three hours. I could not force myself to read thoroughly because of lame writing.

This is the same Simon Kernick who wrote “The Business of Dying”, a very good thriller, four stars from me, and also “Relentless”, “The Crime Trade”, and “The Murder Exchange”, which were al...more
Best Crime Books
My first Kernick book was Relentless which I cannot praise highly enough. I then moved on to his most recent book The Last Ten Seconds which I loved too. I had really high hopes for this book but it didn't quite live up to expectation for me.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly wasn't a bad book, but in comparison to the last two I have read it just wasn't as good. The great thing about Simon Kernick's writing is that he isn't backward in coming forward. Each book I have read starts at 100 miles per...more
Kim
That was quite fun was that book. It's twisted and convoluted but never really confusing. I didn't know who the goodies and the baddies were until the end - even though, in hindsight it was marginally obvious.
And isn't that the sign of a well written crime book?

Tyler wakes up in a strange bed, covered in blood and lying next to the beheaded body of his new lover. He has no idea how he got there. where he is and what exactly happened. He is sure he has been set up but by whom and why is beyond hi...more
Steve Horsfall
The third SK book I have read and my favourite so far. As with his other books, Kernick pushes the reader straight into the action, this time through the eyes of former soldier Tyler who wakes up next to the severed body of his new girlfriend. Tyler's being set-up and has play to the tune of his erstwhile blackmailers before he can look to solve the mystery of why him? Bodies start falling as fast as in a Die Hard movie and we start to learn more about the events of Tyler's military history that...more
LJ
SEVERED (Thriller-England-Cont) – DNF
Kernick, Simon – Standalone
Bantam Press, 2007, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780593054734
First Sentence: From the moment I open my eyes, I know it’s going to be a bad day.
*** Ex-soldier Dan Tyler wakes up in a strange room next to the headless body of his girlfriend, a DVD showing someone who looks like him killing her and instructions that if he follows instructions, he will receive the evidence to clear himself.
*** This is an exciting, fast-paced, race-against-the-...more
Magda
I really enjoyed reading this book. the action starts on the first page and keeps you interested through the whole book. It was easy to read and read pretty fast. In the book we can find round characters, they are fully formed and complex. We can find many plots combined into one , and it doesn't feel forced. There is a lot of twists which made you want to read it. Some moments made me a little bored (the "flashbacks"), they take you back and tell you stories from the past. They are necessary to...more
Jeanette
Another great book by Simon Kernick. I've read several of his books and all have been excellent.
Mutar
I read this when I was a young teenager and I still remember most of it.

It really depends what you're into, the imagery is quite horrific and the plot is quite disturbing but then you have to admire the author's imagination as it keeps you asking 'What The F*** is happening here'.

It was recommended to me and so I read it and couldn't put it down. Simon has a style of writing which suits his genre. I went on to read several other similar books that same year but this one remains embedded in my...more
Jane
bizarre and mundane, fast-paced and boring all at the same time. so, extra star for being able to do that.
Toni
Disliked.
Julie
Not alot. I'm afraid I have not finished it. Don't feel like wasting my time, I was 3/4 of the way through, but am not interested enough to find out the ending. On my 'too sell' pile. The style of writing is good, but the plot is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Started off well, but just dragged on and on until I lost interest. Would of given 1 star, but it got 2 for the writing style - shame the plot let it down. How much trouble and strife can someone get into and still live and stay out of prison, unrealis...more
Deanna
Fast-paced. A good read, except for the parts where we went 'back in time' to what happened in the army. I just found those parts of the book kinda boring. Written in the first-person, which I enjoy.

It took me longer to read this book than it should have, due to my addiction to other things in life (mainly the pc game Team Fortress 2). I don't know if I'd recommend this book to anyone, but I'll certainly pick up the author's previous book, and any future books. :)
Jay
Quite an enjoyable read overall, despite feeling that the conclusion was a touch disappointing.

Very similar feel to the other Simon Kernick book I read previously called Relentless, but I put this down to his writing style. It is an easy-going but fast paced style.

On this note, I regret not reading this book from beginning to end continuously because I think me reading it in fits and starts has knocked it off my favourites. Maybe one day I'll return to it.
Steven
This book follows on in the same vein as previous effort Relentless. It's a pretty good book but the lead character just isn't as strong or indeed likeable as previous ones. The story itself was quite unteresting and it certainly kept me turning pages to find out what was going to happen next. Again, I wouldn't recommend it as a first book by Simon Kernick but if you like this type of book then are far worse reads out there in the genre.
Salemalqassimi
A fine book to pass the time. I read this after a couple of failed starts while my internet connection was down.
Simon can write. That's for sure. What he writes is another thing. The concept of this book is dated, slightly boring and predictable. This book just blends with all the other unknown and unimpressive novels out there. Still, if it's the only book you've got, it should help pass the time.
Liam
This is not a bad little yarn actually...

An ex-army guy wakes up next to the dead corpse of who he assumes is his girlfriend and is blackmailed into delivering a briefcase for someone on pain of him being framed for the death of said girlfriend.

But nothing turns out to be as it seems and this whole story is a rollercoaster ride from one venue to the next.

Good action story.
Redfox5
The tag line for this book annoyed me. 'One Night Stand, One Dead Body, One Bad Day' There is no one night stand! He's been seeing this girl for a few weeks, he's falling in love with her. So that is lies. But other than that, I liked the book. Not as exciting as the other book I read by Kernick but it's good enough to keep crime fans entertained.
Anja
ich muss sagen dass ich von diesem buch schon ziemlich entäuscht bin. die erzählweise geht erst langsam und plötzlich sehr schnell voran. ausserdem kann man das finale irgendwie voraussehen.
das buch ist nicht empfehlenswert für zart besaitete seelen.

(Deutscher Titel: Todesangst)
Shiela
Fast paced, action packed though the plot wasn't as strong as I like them to be. The twist at the end came out of nowhere and the motive was weak. Did enjoy the whodunnit aspect though, kept me guessing until all of my possible suspects ended up dead!
Anja
das buch ist nicht empfehlenswert für zart besaitete seelen
Robert
Not bad, more gripping first few pages than rest of book. Guy wakes up next to his dead girlfriend, finds a dvd in the room next to him and is told by a mysterious voice to hit play.

The dvd shows our hero murdering his girlfriend........
Tracy
I looooove this book! It dives you straight into the scenario. You're thrown into it and it's compelling. Very "Stay up all night to finish" If you've got a social life you'll need to put it on hold until it's finished. lovelovelove!
Thasc
This wasn't a bad read but I wish the author had stuck to what was going on in the story instead of going backwards and forwards to Tyler's (the main character)time in the army. A good twist to the end I wasn't expecting that
Kim
Same type of format as Relentless, fast moving mainly about one person which i like as your not going from one person to another loseing the plot. His books could make good horror movies. Looking forward to the new one in July.
Gail
Another fast paced novel from Simon Kernick. I loved Relentless and this book didn't disappoint. The plot is, as usual, slightly unbelievable, but I was turning pages so fast, I couldn't quite catch my breath! Brilliant.
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • In The Dark
  • Burial
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • London Calling
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Too Close to Home
  • The Perk
  • The Upright Man
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Set In Stone
  • Candlemoth
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion...more
More about Simon Kernick...
Relentless Deadline The Last 10 Seconds Target Siege