Start by marking “Blue Mondays” as Want to Read:
Blue Mondays

Blue Mondays

3.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,907 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The novel's protagonist - named Arnon, like its author - is a young man on the run: expelled from high school and on the outs with his ailing father, he spends his days and nights living a vagabond's life on the streets of Amsterdam. He falls abjectly in love with a waitress in an Italian restaurant, and sneaks into fancy bars and hotels only to skip out when the check arr ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Mondays

David
Feb 27, 2010 David rated it really liked it
I don't know why I feel like I have to be Arnon Grunberg's promoter on this site. And today of all days. It's been a dark, evil weekend in which I was excavating dark and evil feelings (for a creative project) and then... and then... I get a phone call from a coworker today. But today's Sunday. And you know what that means. Either they need you to come in early tomorrow or somebody's died. I didn't answer -- hoping for the former, but sucker-punched by the latter when I received a text message t ...more
Greg
Mar 23, 2010 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Blue Mondays and The Story of My Baldness are both winners of the same first novel award, and both written by Arnon Grunberg. Along with David's raving albeit depressing review for Blue Mondays it's this fact that made me want to read these two novels. I like the idea that someone was able to fool an award committee into giving him the same award twice, an award that by its nature can only be awarded once.

I meant at one point last night to ask David to explain why he loved Blue Mondays as much
Marc
Aug 31, 2015 Marc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch-literature
A while ago I decided to waste no more time on books that just not are for me: they get 100 pages to convince me and then it is irrevocable "lights out". This book, the debut of Grunberg, got 120 pages (close to halfway) and that is the merit of the literary talent this writer clearly has. Grunberg definitely shows us he can write. But I have already read too many books on measly adventures of a typical adolescent. And the dry, neverending nihilistic atmosphere it is drenched in, is simply a let ...more
Lorenzo Berardi
Mar 14, 2008 Lorenzo Berardi rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008, dutch
The curly head of Arnon Grunberg pops up pretty often on Dutch television.

He is supposed to be an intellectual and a sophisticated conversationalist with a razor shaped sense of humour, an Amsterdam-born Woody Allen.
The editor who published Grunberg in Italy goes even further comparing him to Philip Roth and Salinger.
I don't get the point. Well, actually I do. Basically they want to sell more Grunberg. Good attempt, but no honesty.

Let's talk about this debut novel. Grunberg wrote 'Blue Mondays
Corry Clybouw
Het boek begon niet zo slecht, het was best grappig zoals de cover belooft. Maar wanneer het verhaal zo klein wordt dat het enkel nog gaat over de prostituees die het hoofdpersonage over de vloer krijgt wordt het toch wel eentonig.
Stijn
Mar 23, 2008 Stijn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Grünberg moet de auteur zijn van wie ik het meeste aantal boeken gelezen en in mijn bezit heb, maar aan zijn eerste was ik om een of andere reden nooit begonnen. Voornamelijk de schuld van de saai ogende pocket-editie die ik heb, vermoed ik. Niettemin lagen mijn verwachtingen toch vrij hoog.

Het boek is, in retrospective, typisch Grünberg: grappig absurde one-liners, rare situaties, een verknipte ouder-kind relatie, seksualiteit als belangrijk thema, een hoofdpersonage met Joodse achtergrond, ...
Barak
Mar 10, 2015 Barak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One is tempted to say that this was a sad story in a funny wrapper, but the saddest thing was the time I wasted on it, even though, funnily enough, my time is not that important generally speaking.

Similar somewhat to The Catcher in the Rye (which did not turn to be one of my favorites either) this one reads less authentic. Also, I see the protagonist's ill attempts at humor, irony, cynicism, sarcasm or sardonicism to be the author's failures at it.

Shallow, pointless, uninteresting and tiresome t
Kelsi
Apr 27, 2010 Kelsi rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
This book probably gets a little lost in translation. It's originally written in German and poses a good story line. But the topics are a little all over the place and blurry.

About 50 pages in and you have n idea what's going on at all. I would recommend this book to a fluent German speaker with German humor. They would probably enjoy it more. (In German, of course.)

Not a bad plot, character, or setting. Just the ever lingering note of a language barrier.
Gijs Grob
In ultrakorte zinnen worden tamelijk oninteressante jeugdherinnineringen verteld, zonder veel samenhang of schwung. Het boek speelt zich af in de jaren tachtig, maar het had net zo goed de jaren vijftig kunnen zijn. Stomvervelende "verveelde jongemannenliteratuur", waar Nederland patent op lijkt te hebben, zelfs De Oorlog komt weer 's langs. Gaap. Niet uitgelezen.
Pepijn de Groot
Beste passage: "Ze begon aan me te sjorren. Ik had er nu heel veel ontmoet, maar uiteindelijk trokken ze je allemaal af alsof ze glazen aan het spoelen waren. Ik had er nog geen ontmoet die het zo goed kon als ik. Misschien moest ik daar maar eens mijn geld mee gaan verdienen."
YiPeng22
Jan 12, 2014 YiPeng22 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Refreshing. It was direct and had a lot of interesting ideas. Definitely worth a read.
Joris
Dec 26, 2007 Joris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelezen
Een neerslachtig, typisch Nederlands jongemannenboek met een joods zeurtoontje.
Tuuliki
Jul 19, 2017 Tuuliki rated it did not like it
Not sure if it's the style of the writer or a faulty translation, but there's no flow to the text, which makes it hard to read. Suppose it's not much of a loss, as the protagonist nor the story aren't that interesting anyway.

Leila Karaca
Ik ken Arnon Grunberg vooral van de korte stukjes die hij elke dag in de Volkskrant schrijft. Deze stukjes zijn meestal serieus en gaan over slimme dingen, dus ik ging met dat beeld van Arnon Grunberg dit boek in. Ik had het niet meer mis kunnen hebben.

De eerste helft van dit boek was best oke (dat wil ik eigenlijk niet toegeven) en het was grappig (wat ik ook eigenlijk niet wil toegeven). Toen ik de recensies achterop het boek las en zag dat iedereen moest lachen om dit boek, dacht ik: ja, maar
March
Nov 10, 2010 March rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to finally read something by a Dutch author for some time now. You could say Arnon Grunberg was my first (where I'm not counting Anne Frank, whom I consider German, even though she's claimed by the Dutch: http://www.amsterdamworldbookcapital..... And anyway, I didn't actually finish reading her diary). On a recommendation by two Dutch acquaintances, I picked up Blue Mondays, out of all of Grunberg's books.
He's definitely a character, Arnon Grunberg, and Blue Mondays is the hi
Sofie Alossery
Sep 18, 2016 Sofie Alossery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een herdruk kopen van één van je favoriete boeken is net zoals een oude bekende tegen het lijf lopen. Je negeert al snel de nieuwe uiterlijke tierlantijntjes en herontdekt de kern, de gedachten en het gevoel waar je ooit om gaf.

Blauwe maandagen wordt door pers omschreven als een meesterlijk debuut. Recensenten vinden een debuut, als het écht goed is, altijd 'meesterlijk'. Vaak is iets goed 'omdat het nu eenmaal een debuut is'. Dat is hier niet het geval. Als Arnon dit op veertigjarige leeftijd
Siv30
Oct 18, 2011 Siv30 rated it liked it
ארנון גרונברג, בן למשפחה יהודית, ניצולי שואה, מתעד ברומן הביכורים אוטוביוגרפי שלו את חיי נער במשפחה הולנדית לא טיפוסית.

על רקע יחסים מתוחים בין הוריו, התפרצויות זעם, אב תלוש ולא מחוייב למשפחתו ואמא שמחבקת את הילד שלה חיבוק דוב, מתוארת מערכת יחסיו המיוחדת עם אביו, ההתמודדות היומיומית של הנער עם אירועים בבית הספר, עם אהבה ראשונה ובעיקר סקס. חלק ניכר של הספר עוסק בסקס עם זונות או נערות ליווי, חיים של חיפוש ללא מטרה והתעסקות בשאלות זהות.

החלק המרגש ביותר בספר בעיניי, הוא החלק שעוסק בימיו האחרונים של א
AV AV
Apr 27, 2016 AV AV rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
De eerste hoofdstukken worden gekenmerkt door de effectieve humor waarmee de mislukking op school, het sterven van de vader en het uitraken van de liefde worden beschreven. Het tweede deel van de roman vertoont een aanmerkelijk grauwere sfeer. Het leven van de hoofdfiguur bevat twee constanten: alcohol en hoeren. Deze twee vermogen echter geen oplossing te bieden voor zijn eenzaamheid en radeloosheid. Humor en cynisme blijven het redmiddel in zijn naargeestig bestaan. De roman moet het niet hebb ...more
Tom Kenis
Oct 23, 2014 Tom Kenis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het is altijd even slikken als je hoofdpersonage steken blijft. Niet zozeer in de literaire zin, dan wel existentieel. Bij een goed boek moet je je met de protagonist kunnen identificeren, zeggen ze. De (semi?) autobiografische Arnon Grunberg van Blauwe Maandagen is een loser, een autist, liefdeloos, dood, en toch blijf je lezen. Toch blijf je wachten op de catharsis die [spoiler alert] er niet komt. Behalve dan de slepende realisatie dat niets beter wordt, en dat het geld op is. Op zo'n blauwe ...more
Hannah
Jan 26, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nederlands, fictie
Jolieg G
De titel "blauwe maandag" zo kun je het boek ook zien...
Veel dingen worden vluchtig beschreven... de ziekte van zijn vader... zijn eigen leven...
Er worden wat Joodse gebruiken aangehaald en dat interesseert me ..
Ben dan ook vaak even wezen "googelen" om er meer over te lezenn.
Een verklarende woordenlijst in het boek zou handig zijn geweest wat dit betreft.

Het eerste gedeelte vond ik mooier dan het tweede.
In het tweede deel gaat het veel over zijn bezoek aan of door prostituees.
Niets mis mee als
Peggy
Jun 18, 2010 Peggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First part of the book is extremely funny. The chapters about the prostitutes tend to be quite disgusting.
In general I like his style of writing but I enjoyed reading Fantoompijn and Asielzoeker much more.
But this book - like his other ones - has lots of memorable quotes:

"De likeur zag eruit als Dreft en smaakte naar geparfumeerde kots."

"Soms lijkt het mij ook wel prettig om in een klein graf te kunnen liggen, maar de dood heeft al genoeg handlangers op deze wereld, dus wacht ik rustig af."
Jolieg G
De titel "blauwe maandag" zo kun je het boek ook zien...
Er worden wat Joodse gebruiken aangehaald en dat interesseert me ..
Ben dan ook vaak even wezen "googelen" om er meer over te lezenn.

Het eerste gedeelte vond ik mooier dan het tweede.
In het tweede deel gaat het veel over zijn bezoek aan of door prostituees.
Niets mis mee als
Sanne Meijer
Jun 14, 2013 Sanne Meijer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, books-i-own
Ik ben, om heel eerlijk te zijn, blij dat ik dit boek uit heb. Ik heb alle respect voor Grunberg, maar ik snapte het boek gewoon niet. Het boek sprong van de hak op de tak en kwam onsamenhangend op me over. Na op internet wat interviews te hebben gelezen met Grunberg snapte ik wel wat beter wat hij precies wilde overbrengen met dit boek, maar dat veranderde niets aan het feit dat ik niet van het boek heb genoten.
Marleen
Aug 08, 2016 Marleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Het beginstuk, over de hoofdpersoon z'n jeugd, was best oké, maar daarna werd het echt zo stom, saai en onboeiend. Hetzelfde riedeltje speelde zich continu opnieuw af: in een café zitten, de hele dag - drinken - de escortservice bellen. Echt niet leuk. Maarja, nu heb ik tenminste een boek op m'n lijst dat ik kan afkraken!
Steffi
Jul 16, 2015 Steffi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein alkoholkranker schwacher Vater, eine theatralische Mutter, eine unglückliche Jugendliebe gehören zu den Dingen, die die Hauptfigur straucheln lassen. Weder weiß der Junge etwas mit dem jüdischen Glauben seiner Familie anzufangen, noch sieht er die Notwendigkeit von Ausbildung und Beruf. Er betäubt sich immer mehr mit Alkohol und Prostituierten, unfähig eine Bindung zu anderen aufzubauen.
Adinda
Goed omschreven door een van de citaten op de achterkant: "Een openhartig, zelfironisch en waanzinnig humoristisch boek. Zó grappig, dat de lach een grimas wordt." (Det Fri Aktuelt) De hoofdpersoon wandelt op droogkomische wijze door het leven en lijkt bijna doelloosheid als doel te hebben, maar maakt tegelijkertijd intens tragische of smerige dingen mee. Het grijpt je bij de lurven.
Arjen
Jul 09, 2010 Arjen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch
My first introduction to Grunberg and a pleasant one. Great storyteller but somehow you get the feeling that towards the end of the book he falls into repetition. Will certainly read some more novels by this author to see how his style developed.
Michael Flick
Apr 07, 2011 Michael Flick rated it really liked it
Brilliant coming-of-age novel set in Amsterdam in the mid-1990s when the author was just himself coming of age (he was 22 when it was published). His voice is unique, strong and confident. And funny. A good read, indeed.
JW
Dec 08, 2008 JW rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Boring. Hard to read. I dunno if it's in the translation (original work in Dutch IIRC) but it's rambling and I could barely focus on the words becauezzzzzzzzzzzzz.

What? Oh, yeah. I gave up on this thing.
  • The Story of My Baldness
  • Zilver
  • Meneer Beerta (Het Bureau #1)
  • De avonden
  • Nog drie keer slapen en ik word wakker
  • Vertraging
  • Weerborstels
  • Het stenen bruidsbed
  • Rituals
  • Spitzen
  • Want dit is mijn lichaam
Arnon Yasha Yves (Arnon) Grunberg is a Dutch writer. Some of his books were written using the heteronym Marek van der Jagt.

In 1989 Grunberg made his acting debut in Maria's Cunt (de Kut van Maria); a short film by Dutch enfant terrible filmmaker Cyrus Frisch.

Grunberg made his literary debut in 1994 with the novel Blauwe maandagen (Blue Mondays), which won the Dutch prize for the best debut novel t
More about Arnon Grunberg...