Start by marking “The Manhattan Island Clubs” as Want to Read:
The Manhattan Island Clubs

The Manhattan Island Clubs

In the summer of 1906, a member of the Metropolitan Club - one of New York's most prestigious and powerful men's clubs - is brutally murdered within its walls. The man eyewitnesses claim committed the crime was, in actuality, across town in plain view of a hundred reliable witnesses at the time of the murder.

For J. P. Morgan, founding member of the Metropolitan Club, ther
Published August 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Minotaur (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Manhattan Island Clubs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manhattan Island Clubs

Christine
Jan 25, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Although the book's convoluted plot is at times almost too complicated, the book is nontheless interesting for its historical detail. Set in the first decade ot the 20th century, it depicts the new york that was. It fairly bristles with such characters as J.P.Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, etc, and makes a small detour into the Stanford White scandal. worth reading just for its historically accurate details.
Michael Harris
Dec 05, 2011 Michael Harris rated it really liked it
This is the third in a series of mysteries set in New York in the early 1900's. The plot involves a murder in a private club, like the last two which were set on Jekyl Island and London. Retired sheriff, John LeBrun of Brunswick Georgia is called to New York by the tycoons that were impressed with his detective skills solving the murder at the Jekyl Island Club. Monahan weaves accurate history and architectural details around his fictional plot. I hope we see John LeRrun again.
Elizabeth Hunter
This was a fun read and I enjoyed the protagonist enough that I'm putting the other books in the series on my to-read shelf. The picture he paints of early twentieth century New York is a fascinating counterpart to the many books I've read set in Victorian London. The mystery was nicely twisty, although the ending wasn't entirely satisfying.
Sep 11, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
I like Brent Monahan's series of men's clubs mysteries, starting with The Jekyl Island Club, through the Sceptered Isle Club, and finishing with this one. I started reading the first since we're moving to Georgia, but I liked the main character enough to continue. I'm not sure why these seem to be out of print; they're engaging.
Irena Politzer
Apr 27, 2010 Irena Politzer rated it liked it
The third of a good series -- not sure I'd like it as much, though, if I hadn't visited Jekyl Island (where the protagonist is from). The author rehashes his past stories a little much for my taste, but overall, it's a good read (heh heh).
Redhead
Jun 05, 2016 Redhead rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-mystery
New York City just after the turn of the century, rich men and murder keep you wondering right up to the end.
Stacy Lewis
Aug 05, 2009 Stacy Lewis rated it it was ok
Interesting historical tidbits, but otherwise plot was only so-so.
David Nadolny
Feb 15, 2009 David Nadolny rated it it was amazing
Just as good as Monahan's other detective novels. I couldn't wait to go out and get the next one. So much so that when I saw the library had a wait list for it, I actually went out and bought it :)
Ellen Wylie
Ellen Wylie rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Jamie Davidoff
Jamie Davidoff rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Nat Bond
Nat Bond rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Kevin Richman
Kevin Richman rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Tilden
Tilden rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Dixie
Dixie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2008
Brweber
Brweber rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Sarah "Kat"
Sarah "Kat" rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2009
Keith
Keith added it
Nov 20, 2011
David Fraser
David Fraser marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Anne Harp
Anne Harp marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2008
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2008
Susan C
Susan C marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2009
Krysta
Krysta marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2009
Steven Koch
Steven Koch marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2011
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2011
Sofia
Sofia added it
Oct 06, 2011
Melissa Belanger
Melissa Belanger marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2012
Stephani
Stephani marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Almeta
Almeta marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Judi
Judi marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013