The Space Opera Renaissance

The Space Opera Renaissance (The Uplift Saga "Temptation)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Space opera, once a derisive term for cheap pulp adventure, has come to mean something more in modern SF, compelling adventure stories told against a broad canvas and written to the highest level of skill. Indeed, it can be argued that the "new space opera" is one of the defining streams of modern SF.

Contents:
I. Redefined Writers
o The Star Stealers by Edmond Hamilton
o The...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Orb Books (first published January 1st 1994)

Mike
May 29, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF readers, Anyone

This is a potentially mammal-damaging collection (think crushing small, affectionate critters or inducing carpal tunnel syndrome from negating gravity). The 32 stories (plus introduction) span almost a century of science fiction; from the pulps (pre-Campbell) right up to its compilation 2005/2006.

The Space Opera Renaissance literally has something for everyone. But, it does not include everyone. Why? Well, for reasons of Space, of course. (Space being one of those things necessary for Space Oper...more
Dan
Dec 22, 2007 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the history of "Space Opera SF"
Shelves: sci-fi
This collection tracks the literary history of the "Space Opera" sub genre of SF. As such, the editors chose stories representing the different evolutionary steps of the genre. However, representative does not necessarily mean the best stories.

This collection is a good attempt at explaining Space Opera. However, this is really a genre best served by large, sprawling novels (or series of novels!) and not the short story form.
Nicholas Whyte
Huge anthology (941 pages) of mostly excellent stories, very few of which I had actually read before (Lois McMaster Bujold's "Weatherman", Peter F. Hamilton's "Escape Route" and Allen Steele's "The Death of Captain Future" - all great stories), tracing the space opera sub-genre through the decades. It's not always my favourite mode (and I found myself choking at short stories by a couple of writers whose longer works I have also bounced off) but the selection is generally good. In particular I a...more
Tom
A good book, comprehensive in its coverage of the genre through over half a century of existence and eye-opening! As with a lot of science fiction though, I got a little weirded out towards the 80s and 90s stories, mostly being that stuff like that hits a little close to home. It's still space opera and not hard science fiction, but I found it unnerving all the same. The drama was there that makes the genre separate from science fiction either way, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (though a part of m...more
Ron
Were there a three-and-a-half star rating, I would give it that.

An uneven collection spanning seventy-five years of space opera. The stories are better than the commentary. I suggest the busy reader skip the editorial comments.

Of the unexpected gems, "Guest Law" is perhaps the most fun.
Carolyn F.
Anthology. This was a better than average anthology, although I didn't read all of the short stories. My feminist proclivities have made an appearance in this anthology. I only read the works by the female authors. What is extremely interesting in this anthology are the mini-biographies about each author before their short story. I usually will read the little sentence or two about the author whenever I read a book but these go into much more detail noting why the biographer feels the author fit...more
Kam-Yung Soh
An impressive list of stories from the 'early days' of SF when, as Douglas Adams would say, "when men were real men ... and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri," to today's practitioners of this form of SF.

The included stories offer glimpses of vast universes which form an 'operatic' backdrop for the stories to play out in. The early stories, like "The Star Stealers" by Edmond Hamilton and "The Prince of Space" by Jack Williamson, are 'cl...more
Kyle
This book was purchased as part of an effort to expand my rather narrow SF horizons. There's a lot of good stuff in here, but I'd have appreciated a slightly more professionally produced set of introductions and commentary- they're informative, but give the definite impression of having been created with a deadline and a internet connection.

Despite this, I've come across nearly half a dozen stories so far that have me interested in seeing what more the authors have to offer.

Like the title implie...more
Jesse Whitehead
The Space Opera Renaissance is a surprisingly hefty tome of words, made even more so by the sheer volume crammed onto each page. Some of the ‘stories’ published herein were originally published as stand-alone novels. Some of them are almost shockingly concise while the majority fall somewhere in between. There is something that fascinates me about so many things in this book. Samuel R. Delaney very nearly reformatted my brain while Dan Simmons kept me reading far longer than I had intended. Spac...more
Joseph
Read the overlong and ponderous Intro last night. Boy, is this a "dense" book! The editors need editors, IMHO. Some good info on the history of the term "space opera", but way too much verbiage. At 900+ pages, this paperback book is a real "heavyweight". Hopefully, the quality of writing of at least some of the short stories will make the strain of holding the book worthwhile! Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get an eReader, if only for the "light weight" factor!
Mark
Another hefty tome from the Hartwell canon. Wide-ranging and brilliant, there's a nice assembly of stories to give you an idea that Space Opera should not be derided, nor is it as simplistic a subgenre as some would suggest. Not easy to do when such material these days is typified by 1000-plus-page multi-volume blockbusters. Though not all tales will be to everyone's tastes, recommended.
Jurgen_i
Rather good selection of Space opera stories. As a whole, i liked the book; however, my general attitude to the genre became worse after reading this. E.g., writings by R. Garcia y Robertson and Michael Moorcock were just horrible. Many others were not bad or middling. Stories by Catherine Asaro and Robert Reed were good. And by Paul J. McAuley and Tony Daniel were very good.
Nicholas Barone
An excellent collection of stories tracing the history of Space Opera from 1929 - 2004. It clocks in at just under 1000 pages, and about 30 short stories & novellettes. Most of the stories were great (particularly those from the past 20 years), and I only found one to be subpar. Highly recommended for any fan of short SF work.
Cedrick
This anthology presents an awesome history of the Space Opera genre, including dozens of short stories and novel excerpts form the 1940's to the present. There is a brief but informative essay at the beginning of each section of the anthology explaining the shifts in the genre as it evolved over time.
Nic
A mixture of variable quality; but worthwhile for a few forgotten classics and discovering a couple of more recent authors who have thus far flown under my radar.
Justin
The story thus far...

The intro is super slow and way too drawn out. The first story was weak and it's conclusion was goofy as fuck. I'm hoping it gets better.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Has a very nice introduction about what space opera is and where the term came from. (And how the meaning has changed over time.)
Michael
Some excellent stories, some old clunkers, and an interesting commentary to tie it all together. Well worth reading.
Austin Edmister
Some of these stories were absolutely wonderful...some I was just trying get over with.
John
Summer reading. A big book for a long trip in a slow train with a quiet coach.
Lance
Some good stories and some clunkers. Overall very well chosen. Enjoyed it.
Mumbler
Sep 16, 2013 Mumbler marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-continued
Read Peter Hamilton's "Escape Route" and Donald Kingsbury's "The Survivor".
bluetyson
The Space Opera Renaissance by David G. Hartwell (2007)
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Excellent education on space opera.
Linda Eldreth
Linda Eldreth marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • The New Space Opera
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • The Mammoth Book Of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Federations
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space:
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 5)
  • Star Trek 3
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
David Geddes Hartwell (b. July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian wr...more
More about David G. Hartwell...
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 Year's Best SF 15