Start by marking “Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)

Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  66 reviews
A charming historical novel set in the late 1800s. Born and raised in the hills of Kentucky, Laura "Copper" Grace loves the wilderness of her home in Troublesome Creek. But when her stepmother threatens to send her away to boarding school to become a lady, Copper faces the possibility of losing everything that is precious to her. Copper must come to terms with her family a ...more
Published October 10th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Troublesome Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troublesome Creek

Holly
Freebie from kindle store. I really liked this book. Lots of nice descriptions of life in the 1800s. I will probably read the next in the series.
Margaret
It was not until about page 320 that I began to enjoy this book. Usually, I read Christian Fiction because of its uplifting reminders that you are not alone and that in the midst of struggle God prevails. Christian Fiction for me is usually my antidepressant... but it just was not working with this book. The book starts with Copper, a girl in her late teens and then flashes back to when her parents met and her mother died. It goes on to show her grow up practically over night to realize choices ...more
Darby Stouffer
I've tried to like Christian fiction. I really have. I feel that I'm too cynical for it, and the fault must surely lie with me. But then I read books like this, and I realize that while it partially may be my fault, that this is truly a woeful genre. Especially when romance is added. The "sparks" that must fly in order for a woman to love a man in these stories makes me angry. That's not what love is about. Nice? Sure, but not the be all and end all.
The random Scripture quotations are seemingly
Victoria Bylin
This was a different kind of read for me. It's set in the hills of eastern Kentucky and has a little bit of everything -- a young adult heroine, a touch of romance, drama, humor and a writing style that's both sparse and lyrical. I liked it alot! Looking forward to the other two books in the series.
Loraine
I liked the storyline and characters in this book, but found it rather slow moving overall. Also thought the romance between Copper and Dr. Corbett was rather rushed.
Anya
This is a debut novel by a gifted writer. The author found her way into publishing by winning the Christian Writers Guild First Novel Contest and was further blessed by landing Jerry B. Jenkins as editor, making her good writing even better.

The story is set in the mountains of Kentucky, just past the Civil War. The main character, a young woman who must make the difficult decision to choose between her beloved home and following the man she loves to a city life, is likeable and fresh. The story
Deb
Plot Summary: What happens, When & Where, Central Characters, Major Conflicts[return]Copper loves her life by Troublesome Creek, and is scared at the thought of being sent to a boarding school. But her stepmother is worried that Copper--or Laura Grace--won't have much of a future in the rural hills of Kentucky during the 1880s. Copper also wonders about the sometimes strained relationship between her Pa and her stepmother--and about how her mother died. The story flashes back to when her Pa- ...more
Lori Moore
I loved this book. Being from Kentucky and growing up on a farm I could definitely relate to the setting. It makes me miss my grandparents because the descriptive detail is so clear I can picture what their life would have been like.
Christy
Jan Watson has quickly become a must read for me. All the books I have read by her so far have been witty and warm reads. I'll have to admit Grace was not a favorite for me I was hoping beyond hope that she would find contentment in her life and that she would bloom where she was planted; but forevermore she will pine for something else. I thought how much of life is like that for a lot of us. Copper is the winner in this book and her two little brothers Willy and Daniel. Their banter back and f ...more
Cristine Eastin
"Troublesome Creek", winner of the first Christian Writers Guild Operation First Novel contest in 2004, is the first in a six-book series. I roared through these books, and I'm eagerly awaiting the seventh book which is in the publishing hopper.
Jan Watson does a lovely job of creating characters the reader really gets to know. The series starts in the 1800s in the hills of Kentucky when we meet sweet, feisty Copper Brown. The story continues through the series reading like a family genealogy.
Ord
Beverly
Totally enjoyed this read.I live near this location and was myself raised on a farm in Kentucky. I have already recommended this book to a friend and looking very much forward to reading the series.
Cgstacy23
This is an author from Lexington and this is the first book in a series. A great story and characters. Some of my favorite books I have read. It helps to read them in order.
Janice Davis
I liked this book even though it was a little hard to get into. Flashbacks kept you working at keeping up with the story. Good details to fill out the story.
Kristen
Surprisingly good for a Kindle freebie. Historical fiction w/ a touch of Christian literature. I don't know if its just me, but it seems like an awful lot of the kindle freebies have something to w/ christian literature & they are not always described as such. I usually figure it out by reading reviews ahead of time. I don't always mind it (sometimes it plays really well into the story -- like in this book!) but a lot of the time the Christian story lines can fall flat.

I liked this book. It
Andrea
Very good for a Kindle Free book. I love historical fiction and reading about different experiences set in times other than our own. I am just now writing this review although I read it a few months ago because I realized I have so many books on my Kindle I needed to keep track in my own mind whether I liked a book or not and why. So I don't remember very many details but it is a Christian fiction yet not overly "preachy". Overall, it kept me wanting to read more and I was interested in reading ...more
Omi
Mar 04, 2014 Omi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
loved it until close to the end...hate the ending, but...the rest of the trilogy looks promising, so...we'll see
Anita
I have now read all this series up to Torrent Falls and have loved this author and her stories. There is much to glean from how things were done in KY mts in 1880's from cooking to travel, farming, and she specially adds midwife and doctoring in this series. This series is not the typical sweet things happen this series has troubles, dedication, sorrow and hardships as well. The books are fascinating & you will not want to put them down to find out what is happening next in the lives of Copp ...more
Amancay
Donna in Southern Maryland
I loved this book. I love to read about the 1880's in this country. This story is set in Kentucky during this time. I love the story of the main character, Copper, but I especially love the way the author describes daily life, the chores they did, and really how they lived. I have heard many of the same stories told by my own Mother and Daddy, so they really ring true. I would recommend it for anyone who may enjoy these kinds of books.
Pam
Oh, I loved this book. Not usually what I pick up to read, but the very first paragraphs with Copper at the creek and the bit of dialog between her and her father drew me in immediately. I knew I would read it, and I knew I would love it. I just loved the way the story flowed, how it built. I especially loved the very detailed way of telling about day-to-day tasks, how they did things back then and in that way of life.
Alyssa
Copper is a girl who loves where she lives but faces crossroads in life when it comes time to marry/go to boarding school/other stuff like that. Kind of an odd book simply because of all of the random stuff packed in, the tedious flashbacks to everone's past, way too much description of everyday chores, and a half-hearted plot. It was interesting to read, but I did skim a lot and didn't find it enthralling.
Emma
I really enjoy reading fiction about this time period (early settlers), and I've been enjoying Christian fiction, so I gave this one a try. I found this an enjoyable entertaining, wholesome read, even though it does bounce back and forth a bit to get the whole story in.

There are more books in the series that I'm going to check out. I think this would make a cute Hallmark movie, like Love Comes Softly.
Rachel
I really enjoy this time period of the 1800's. This story is based in hills of Kentucky and the hardships of life in general and how families were able to cope. All the basic desires of human nature are the same whether in the past or present day; love, acceptance and quality of life. At times I just couldn't put is down so it made for a short night's sleep.
Daria
Woa, I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. The descriptions of the mountains, the people and the everyday in this book just draw you in and make you feel like you're in that space and time. Despite the tragedies this book leaves you feeling good in your core, and harkens back to a simpler, slower way of life without over romanticizing it.
Paula-O
I am so glad I found this author, she writes a wonderful story of a young girl growing up in the mtns of Ky, Copper is a nickname for Laura Grace but one she would rather be called by. The story is about the area and her life on Troublesome Creek and the family that had lives entertwined with hers. I am anxous to read the next book and starting it today.
Megan
This book was okay, but I hated the fact that she left the guy that had loved her and was going to marry her, for some random guy that showed up on her families farm one day. Usually I get goosebumps when reading about God's hand on even the toughest situations but on this book I didn't get any.

Michaelbatte
Very moving Christian book about a woman who is raised by her mother's sister, historical saga - can't wait to read the next two- brought this one back to library & checked out the other two immediately - this is this author's first book & it won a well deserved award.
Criss Rosenlof
It took a little while to get into this book, but it was worth reading. A little slow at times, but all-in-all I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure if this is a first book or not, but it seems a little amateurish at times. I think with some time this author could be quite good.
Heather
I could not help but find myself drawn into this book. The characters feel like family. I enjoyed experiencing the main characters dilemna's as she decides which path to travel as a young adult. It's a great book to kick back in bed with.
Michelle Dickey
This is book is part of a 3-book series. I loved the setting more than anything; late 1800s in the mountains of Kentucky. The author really focused on describing the lifestyle and culture, and you truely feel like you are there.
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Fireflies in December
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • Love on a Dime (Ladies of Summerhill, #1)
  • A Woman Called Sage
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Year She Fell
  • Somewhere to Belong (Daughters of Amana, #1)
  • Sweetie
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • The Homecoming
  • Crossing Oceans
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Calling Home
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • Just as I Am
  • On Bear Mountain
  • One Hit Wonder

Jan Watson won the 2004 Christian Writers Guild Operation First Novel contest for her first novel, Troublesome Creek. Her other awards include a nomination for the Kentucky Literary Award in 2006 and second place in the 2006 Inspirational Readers Choice Contest sponsored by the Faith, Hope, and Love Chapter of
More about Jan Watson...

Troublesome Creek (3 books)
  • Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek, #2)
  • Torrent Falls (Troublesome Creek, #3)
Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek, #2) Torrent Falls (Troublesome Creek, #3) Skip Rock Shallows (Copper Brown, #3) Still House Pond (Copper Brown, #2) Sweetwater Run (Copper Brown, #1)

“The city most believed to be the handsomest in Kentucky never failed to impress .... The streets, lined with booths and wagons from which people displayed their wares, had a festive air.” 5 likes