Start by marking “Quick Service” as Want to Read:
Quick Service

Quick Service

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Spring brings four more antic novels by P. G. Wodehouse. In "Quick Service" a complicated chain of events is set into motion after Mrs. Chavender takes a bite of breakfast ham, and readers are reminded that disaster can be averted if you "Ring for Jeeves." Bertie Wooster avoids Madeleine Bassett in "Much Obliged, Jeeves," at Blandings Castle, in "Uncle Fred in the pringtim ...more
Published April 12th 2004 by Overlook Books (first published January 1st 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Quick Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quick Service

Algernon
Wodehouse has been consistently good so far for me. Quick service offers a tale that is different yet the same as the more familiar series of Blandings Castle, Psmith or Jeeves. The MacGuffin in this case is a painting - chased by several goofy personages, with or without moustaches.

The names of the characters or of the sumptuous country manor may change from book to book, but the verve and the good natured banter are a constant feature of Wodehouse that makes me come back again and again to rea
J. Alfred
Never in my life have I texted the acronym "lol," probably because I'm inordinately proud, but also because it's used entirely too often. Very seldom does one, I find, actually laugh out loud from something that one reads. Therefore I submit to the world the addition of "literally" to everyone's favorite acronym in order to produce a more accurate reflection of the world around us.
That being said, this book is so full of llols that one often has trouble getting to the end of a paragraph with br
Mary Catelli
This is one of Wodehouse's stand-alones. Starting out in Claines Hall, where Mrs. Chavender has ham for breakfast, setting off all sorts of consequences.

She doesn't like it. And when Sally Fairmile, the poor relation who procured it, tells her where she got it, Mrs. Chavender realizes that it is a Paramount ham, which J. B. Duff is so fascinated with producing and selling that she broke off her engagement to him on hearing about them once too often. She is going to tell him what she thinks of th
Margaret
At her sister's house party, Mrs. Chavender unwisely chooses ham for breakfast, thus setting off a chain of events affecting everyone at the house party as well as ham king J.B. Duff and his artist employee Joss Weatherby, who painted a portrait of Mrs. Chavender once which Duff would like to have. This non-series Wodehouse uses one of his most common plot devices (house party, item in house which multiple guests and other people would like to steal, midnight encounters), to very good effect. Jo ...more
Perry Whitford
If only Mrs Chavender had settled for the scrambled eggs at breakfast. But no, she chose the ham, ensuring that all hell broke loose at Claines Hall, Loose Chippings, Sussex.

A food magnate with a dickey stomach in a false mustache, a 'fresh' young artist and bogus valet who falls in love at first sight, a crooning, cash-strapped lord and an unlikely criminal syndicate are just some of the features in this delightful farce.

I don't think I give too much away by revealing that everybody gets their
Azmylle H
it was a fun reading. surprisingly funny in the midst of drama surrounding small circle of people. the only thing that stopping me from giving the story a perfect score 5 starts is due to the main conflict, which i think quite lighter or, unimportant compared to all of the drama revolved. and this whole thing started with poor quality ham during breakfast in one morning. from that point, the whole chaotic drama laid out smoothly. the main character, Joss Weatherby is a fun chap, and highly in lo ...more
Jeff Crompton
Rather than go into detail about this book, I'll just say that I've read almost everything by Wodehouse, and that I roughly divide his output into three categories:

1. The best, which of course means some of the very best humorous writing in the English language. In this category I would put Leave It to Psmith, Ukridge, Fish Preferred (aka Summer Lightning), Lord Emsworth and Others, The Code of the Woosters, Joy in the Morning (aka Jeeves in the Morning), and The Mating Season.

2. The good - thos
Dan 1.0
Finished this last night. Hilarious. I'd say it's my favorite Wodehouse book that's not part of a series. Joss Weatherby reminds me of Psmith a bit .
Dan Glover
Right off the cricket wicket, I need to say that I am an avid Wodehouse fan. In my admiration for his writing and the intense enjoyment I get from reading his works, I am in very good company. As always, I enjoyed this Wodehouse offering very much. In my opinion this book is not as funny as the Wooster & Jeeves stories or the Blandings Castle tales or even as some of his other one-off stories (like "Easy Money") but this ought not deter anyone from reading it however, since the Jeeves books ...more
Ian Wood
‘Quick Service’ is a Wodehouse farce set in a country estate where various competing parties are attempting to fake the theft of a oil painting for various reasons, to secure the required trust money to marry, secure employment, secure money to pay bad debt’s or simply to remove an eye sore from a feature of prominence. Possibly one of the most familiar Wodehouse plots driving many a short story and being featured in a host of novels, and yet, ‘Quick Service’ is one of the most fresh and seeming ...more
Kate Parker
Enjoyed this novel. Classic Wodehouse humor. An amusing plot with twists and coincidences and a tangle of characters. Reminded me a bit of The Importance of Being Earnest in that regard, and it would make a fun film.
Abhinav Jaganathan
This is the second Wodehouse I had read, about some 1 year ago, and now I have finished reading it twice. It has all your typical Wodehousian elements. Engagements waiting to be broken, struggling lovers, draconian middle-aged women and a dyspeptic middle-aged man. What struck me as I read this book was that Wodehouse seems to be much better when he writes standalones. His characters seem more fresh. Joss Weatherby here, for instance (all pun intended). He will remain to me the best Wodehousian ...more
Claire
As always and yet again Wodehouse has outdone himself. A delightful breeze of a book.
Tom
Wodehouse never disappoints. This book is not one of the Jeeves and Wooster series, but is none the less is fully entertaining. The fast talking character of Joss Weatherby is enough on his own to carry the book, but then there are the others, such as the overly high strung axe-wielding butler Chibnall. I didn't laugh quite as loudly as I have in other Wodehouse books, but I found myself chuckling the whole time. Absolutely worth the read.
Kevin Troy
The downside of Wodehouse is, much like detective series novels, it's hard to remember which ones you've read before. It turned out that I had read this one before, but it was just as enjoyable the second time through. If you've never read any Wodehouse before, this would be a good start -- it's not part of any of the connected Blandings/Jeeves stories, but rather stands on its own, and has a 30's screwball plot.
Trisha
My favorite Wodehouse so far!
Qi
Vintage Wodehouse, circa 1940. A very fast read with a group of charming characters. One should not fault Wodehouse for the lacking of character depth and emotional nuances, it is a dessert of a book -- perhaps a light airy chocolate cake --that goes very well in a rainy day with a cup of milky coffee.
Beth
I'm a huge fan of Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster short stories, but this is the first time I've read this novel of his. Absolutely hilarious with hoot out-loud sentences that you read again just to savor them again. I highly recommend this funny, classic read.
John
A solid mid period Wodehouse though the plot seemed largely familiar from other books. Basically this could have been a Blandings novel - slotting in new characters doesn't necessarily make it different. However, the dialogue is crisp as new minted fiver!
Tim Lebon
Excellent read. I'm an avid Wodehouse fan but hadnt read it. I read an interview with P.G. where he said that this and one other book were his 2 favourites. It did not disappoint. Now off to read the other one of his favourites, Sam the Sudden,
My brain was fried from work and a little Wodehouse cleared it right up. As usual. I ration out his books for fear I'll read them all too fast and run out. This one made me chuckle out loud a few times.
Nivedita
Take it with a pinch of salt : In one of his interviews (at a later stage in his life), he picked this as one of his favourite books. I'll one day try to post a link to the transcript here.
Sally
This was silly, hilarious and very, very droll. I recommend it to anyone who likes British manners and humor. Wodehouse's turn of phrase is clever and seems to have held up well over time.
June
PG Wodehouse does not fail me! I love the way people in his stories seem to experience love at first sight. This second book by this author I've read and I can't wait to read more.
Lauri
Brilliant...read this while sitting and waiting at jury duty the other day and had to pinch myself so I wouldn't laugh out loud. Everyone needs a little Wodehouse in their life...
Carol in Bothell
The usual Wodehousian fun with language and silly romantic predicaments. A wonderful antidote to the stresses and strains of 21st century life.

Brooke
Another great one! All of Wodehouse's endings are great but this one was unusually sweet. Loved Weatherby's character, very entertaining!
Bob Ladwig
Another funny story from Wodehouse, involving a ham maker, a coveted portrait, and an eccentric artist who has fallen in love.
Elvira
Oscar Wilde, only a bit less sarcastic. Humorous? Yes. Light? Yes. Just the thing after coming home from work? You bet it is.
Ian
Enjoyable Wodehouse story featuring another dysfunctional American family in one of England's stately homes.
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being The Autobiography Of A Really Good Man
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • The Wimbledon Poisoner
  • Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel
  • Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
  • Inside Outside
  • Human Voices
  • Molesworth
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)