Start by marking “Da Jesus Book: Hawaii Pidgin New Testament” as Want to Read:
Da Jesus Book: Hawaii Pidgin New Testament

Da Jesus Book: Hawaii Pidgin New Testament

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Island pidgin speakers now have an easier-to-understand alternative of reading the Bible. Da Jesus Book, a translation of the New Testament into pidgin.

The soft-cover book was published by Wycliffe Bible Translators, the world's largest organization involved in translating the Scriptures into languages of tribal people. Retired Cornell University linguistics professor Jo

Published July 1st 2000 by Wycliffe Bible Translators (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Da Jesus Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Da Jesus Book

Ken-ichi
I think this is a serious, genuine attempt to translate the Bible into Hawaiian Pidgin, so I guess I feel some guilt finding it so hilarious, but one of the quotes on the back reads, "Oh! Dass wat dat mean! -- Leeward Coast churchgoer in Bible study." That's supposed to be funny, right? I feel like a translation of the Bible into Pretentious Liberal Academicese would be equally hilarious as translating "Disciples" into "Jesus Guys – Wat Dey Wen Do."
Brian Davis
Most of the commentators on this book regard this translation as 'funny'. However, Hawaiian Pidgin is classified as an endangered language, and Da Jesus Book is a serious translation. Many extinct languages are only known from their Bible translations, and this translation, like others from Wycliffe, will hopefully help keep the language alive. Shakespeare's English is 'funny', too, and Chaucer's is downright hilarious - the guy couldn't spell worth a damn.

The Koine Greek used by the New Testam
Tony
OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I have not read this entire book (in Pidgin, that is), and yet I feel compelled to include it because it is quite possibly the funniest book I have ever read (Sample translations: Jesus is Lord becomes "He Da King;" God translates as "Big Boss Man.") I also realize that I am leaving myself open to protests from the p.c. crowd, but damn you all, if you had taken turns reading this aloud to friends in a mock-Hawaiian Pidgin dialect, you ...more
Charles Rouse
Two things. Pidgin read by someone whose never heard it in it's home country sounds amusing, or can sound amusing.
Secondly, it's a language. It's not a corruption of English, or English spoken badly, it's a language.
Another secondly, it's a country pidgin, pidgin of Hawaii and Kauai and Maui. The kids growing up in Honolulu on Oahu speak a similar but different version of pidgin.
I like it, to me it's a language of the heart. I have to look words up, it's pretty hard core pidgin, but I underst
Hunter
Mar 08, 2012 Hunter marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
Ho brah... Try wait. Dis book fo real - no joke.

While it might seem funny at first glance, this is a serious translation of the Christian New Testament into Hawaiian Pidgin English. It is intended to help locals better understand scripture by presenting it in the language they have grown up speaking.
Aimee
Aug 28, 2014 Aimee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bible
I read portions of this many years ago. It is the New Testament translated into Hawaiian Pidgin. I was fascinated with the interesting way things were translated. I don't know most of the "language" but it gave a fresh way of looking at the verses you are familiar with. Loved it.
Carlyn
John 3:16 "God wen get so plenny love an aloha for da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva. You know, God neva send me, his Boy, inside da world for punish da peopo. He wen send me fo take da peopo outqa da bad kine stuff dey doing."

C'mon. Tell me you don't wanna read more. =)
Kg4jbj
I'm finding this to be an interesting (and well-done) translation of the NT into Hawaiian Creole. It's especially enjoyable reading this with another bible side-by-side. I have to admit to being pretty ignorant about the book, and am having fun while learning.
Katie
We picked up this book in Hawaii. It's the bible in Hawaiian pidgin. It's quite hilarious. I haven't read it cover to cover, it would drive me nuts. But it's pretty funny.
Emily
Da pidgin English version of da New Testament.

A sample title from page 446:

"If You Show Respeck Fo Yoa Body, Dat Show You Get Respeck Fo God"
Gracie
May 23, 2013 Gracie added it
OMG! So hilarious! Yeah I understand this thing is serious, but oh my gosh is it funny! My 4th grade teacher has this book, we all beg her to read it!
Joe
The Christian New Testament told in the Hawaiian Pigeon-English vernacular.
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Trina
Trina marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sally HarroldSchachter
Sally HarroldSchachter marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Rebeca
Rebeca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
J Demedeiros
J Demedeiros marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Brittany Nicole
Brittany Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran