Start by marking “The Sun My Heart” as Want to Read:
The Sun My Heart

The Sun My Heart

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Sun My Heart" is one of Thich Nhat Hanh's most beloved books. Using the objects and events of everyday life in his hermitage in Plum Village -- the gradual settling of the pulp in a glass of apple juice or the wind blowing into the room and scattering papers about -- Thich Nhat Hanh draws from Buddhist psychology, epistemology, and the world of contemporary literature ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Parallax Press (first published May 11th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Sun My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sun My Heart

Maureen
Mar 07, 2009 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
I wish I still owned a copy of this book so that I could quote from it here. In addition to being a great spiritual teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh is a fine writer. When ever I read his work, I can hear the soft inflections of his voice in my head.

Particularly after viewing the opening of the Olympic games, where China sought to persuade the world of their sincere interest in peace and harmony by displaying giant neon-colored ideograms, Thich Nhat Hanh is a refreshing alternative. Like the Dali Lama,
Matthew Cossey
Reading anything from Thich Nhat Hanh is usually always a pleasure. The Sun My Heart does not disappoint, though it's not my favorite book from the well-known Buddhist Monk. I enjoyed the advice he share's on meditation and information on the mind, but I didn't enjoy the long drawn out chapter on the interdependence of everything in the universe. It was a drag! I would recommend reading 'Peace is Every Step' instead of 'The Sun My Heart', unless of course you are a die-hard Thich Nhat Hanh fan!
Katja
It started and ended in such a friendly casual way that the dharma sandwich in the middle seemed a bit intense and concentrated - I personally would have liked it to be spread out a little.
Tamar
Beautiful writing and ways of expressing rather complex ideas about Buddhism.
Iona  Stewart
I was somewhat disappointed in this book, since I was expecting something along the lines of previous little books by this author on mindfulness. This book proved different, though of course the subjects of mindfulness, breathing exercises and so on do come up. I suppose one could say that the topic of this book is the same as that of the others, this book just goes deeper (infinitely deeper).

This book shows a highly intellectual, philosophical side of the author: He teaches us that mind and obj
Iva Pokorny
Yes, I too hear his soft voice as I read his books now. And I feel his peace and humor ..I love his humor .. As he does his Walking Meditation. The Sun My heart My Heart The Sun Interdependness. That's what it is all about. I wouldn't be here right now, if all the circumstances in the Universe weren't just right for my existence. Think about that deeply, says Thich (teacher) Nhat Hanh. He invites you to think deeply ...
Molly
I love this book precisely because it combines spiritualism and science. My mother had died right before I read it and the strength and guidance provided throughout unfolded the beauty of the earth to me again. I have read several of his books now, and this remains my favorite for its practical advice and interweaving of scientific observation with compassion for all life on earth, and beyond.
kireja
I really enjoy reading books on spirituality, meditation and mindfulness. What I really liked about this book is that Thich Nhat Hanh reassures us that meditation should not be about forcing ourselves to sit still without thinking any thoughts. Instead Thich Nhat Hanh advises us to "never force your body or your mind. Be kind to yourself. Live your daily life simply, with awareness". Therefore in meditation we should go like a river, where we are: A.) aware and in the present moment B.)our breat ...more
Naguib Said
Really liked it. It tells a story of a different way of looking at life while trying to relate it to physics. If you ever wonder why a locked up prisoner is able to smile, or how were all related in energy. The ideas of living through another. its crazy mind flipping book that brings impeccable philosophical ways of thinking more towards peace and happiness.
Lee Evans
A majestic way of looking at the world. Almost every other paragraph is full of something that will change your perspective on life. Thay's down-to-earth style and gentle way or writing is a sharp contrast to religious dogmatists of our day. He wants you to examine yourself and connect with the universe, not for your own glory or to make himself feel better, but because it just... makes... sense.

I'm going to be rereading this book frequently.
Joseph Rumble
Thich Nhat Hanh gives a generous helping of life experiences to coralate with zen teaching. So many times I went ahh now I see.. especially wonderful is the description of
Steven
Great insights but a challenging read
Vicki
This is not one of the best of Thay's books, and I would not recommend starting with it. The first and last sections are quite lovely and helpful, especially his discussion of the importance of finding peace in the difficult moments and not waiting for everything to be calm and peaceful externally. But the middle section deals with quantum physics and the connections with Buddhist principles; fascinating, but more intellectualized.
Elisabeth M
Mar 17, 2009 Elisabeth M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: The bookstore aisle.
This author reaches me like no other.

In particular, this book made me feel like a student in the tutelage of a good master. I felt as though Thich Nhat Hanh was always offering me something just beyond my range, pushing my understanding just a little further, thus leading me from one step to the next.

Mostly, though, he's a beautiful man, and he makes me see the beauty of the world in a way that transforms me.

dirt
Mr. Nhat Hanh uses some beautiful imagery to convey how we are all connected, each atom of every thing is essential to life in this universe. If even one thing were out of place, it would not be.

I do get a little lost when he starts talking shop about Sutras, though in the preface he clearly states this book doesn't need to be read in order and what you may not get one day will become enlightening another.
MizzSandie
This little book was a nice little reminder of how to live life more mindfully.

Somewhere in the middle it got a little heavy on the Buddhist wordings and theories, referenced to without any further explanations, and since I'm not so well versed in it myself, i got a little disconnected.

But overall it was fine, especially the beginning and ending of it.
Neil
will be reading for a while...I don't think you can ever finish this book. Tich Nhat Hanh is truly amazing. I carry this in my bag when I'm traveling sometimes.
Yenni Haryani
yesterday from and to Amitaba : In the same way, life will reveal itself as a miraculous reality the second the Sun of Awareness begins to shine.
Ava
If you ever what to learn "how" to meditate, read the first couple chapters. It provides wonderful insight into settling the mind.
Patrick
a bit denser than some of his other works but still a calming endeavor. any time spent with Thich Nhat Hanh is always time well spent.
Ryan
Thich Nhat Hanh nous explique que le bonheur est partout si nous restons dans le moment present. Tres bien ecrit!
Susan Hughes
I liked it, but not as well as I expected. Some good examples. Sometimes I did not understand.
Prabhat Saraswat
I call this now the book of life.

It needs re-reads! ALOT OF THEM! :)

Beautiful book!
Benjamin Owen
zen is kind of a boring way to live, but good to learn about the rest of the world
Jeff
Religion and your spirit is to personal and I would say this is a light in the dark.
Mckinley
A follow up to Miracle of Mindfulness. Meaty. Lots to complemplate in a very gentle way.
Athena
It's about meditation and Buddhist teachings. I have read this one many times over.
Nore
Nore marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Nothing Special
  • Ancient Wisdom, Modern World: Ethics for a New Millennium
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Buddhism Day by Day: Wisdom for Modern Life
  • Ethical Ambition: Living a Life of Meaning and Worth
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace