Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business

Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Do you have a grip on your business, or does your business have a grip on you?
All entrepreneurs and business leaders face similar frustrations--personnel conflict, profit woes, and inadequate growth. Decisions never seem to get made, or, once made, fail to be properly implemented. But there is a solution. It's not complicated or theoretical. Based on years of real-world i...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Benbella Books (first published October 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Traction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traction

M.L.
"This Review Goes to 11"

Traction gets 4 stars for being the very bestest management book I have read. Unfortunately, that's a scale that maxes out at four. Thus I've proven that business management literature is the antithesis of SpinalTap.

Here's what Traction does right: Everything. There are clear plans and tools and strategies for getting a business at least looking in the right direction. How do I know? I've been using them, and they seem to be working. At least nobody's punched me yet - whi...more
Stefania
I was asked to read this book at work, and I will admit I was a bit skeptical at first. It has been surprisingly good in many ways. After taking the recommendations, I find that my meetings are more efficient, and we are more focused on objectives. So much about successful business is alignment, and this book definitely creates that.

It was good to have everything in one place, rather than having to read multiple books. A lot of it is common sense: yes, we need a vision. Yes, we need to have the...more
Jonathan Smith
"Traction" outlines Gino Wickman's Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) for helping small businesses create and execute on their plans for the next quarter and the next ten years. If you own a small business and have hit the proverbial ceiling, you should read "Traction." It will help you get unstuck.

The genius of the book is in the holistic system and processes that Wickman created to help you run your small business better. The basic business concepts presented in the book have been around f...more
Cinnamon
TRACTION: GET A GRIP ON YOUR BUSINESS by Gino Wickman was a slightly different book for me to review, as my regular readers will notice. Due to my current educational state, I figured it would be an interesting choice, however, so I embarked on a mission to learn about business ownership and management.

TRACTION spends a lot of time encouraging the reader to focus on goal setting and analysis. Are your goals appropriate for what you're doing? Is what you're doing appropriate for your goals? The...more
Mary
In the times of 'Book of the Month Management Techniques' this one stands alone.

Consider a pie (that represents your business) with six equal servings of Vision, People, Data, Issues, Process, Traction . . . how can you balance this plate with everything else your business demands of you? Answer: You can't. But, if you break it down into these six key components and focus on only these, it'll be much easier.

Wickman has designed, implemented and used this model in countless companies including th...more
Loren
It felt like a long sales pitch for his method, which he unhelpfully insists you must adopt whole hog to get any benefit from, but I appreciated his clear and sensible approach and his experience seems to credibly back up his methods. I haven't read enough in this genre to compare it to others, but this left me with some gems and a perspective on one way to look at running an org in a methodical, results-driven, and responsive way.
My favorite takeaway was the idea that everyone loses focus afte...more
Ed Callahan
I have implemented EOS with more than 2 dozen small businesses. Gino Wickman spells out all the details of EOS - the Entrepreneurial Operating System - in this book. This is a holistic system which goes beyond the theory and provides practical tools to actually implement it. Every small business owner should read this book.
Brandon Allen
If you are a small business owner, I would certainly recommend this book as it has solid advice for running an effective business.

As a business coach, I teach a lot of the principles in this book in a little different manner but I know from personal experience that these things work.

I worry that this book will resonate more with people who have a business mind or who work in this industry vs. the typical business owner who may not be as passionate about these concepts. I am saying that because...more
John Munsell
This is an incredible book for anyone who is trying to improve results within his/her company or organization. It's full of good, practice information and has a website loaded with resources to help make your implementation of the theories presented effective and easy. I highly recommend it.
Christopher Obert
This book is a business self-help book. The book is based on the author’s Entrepreneurial Operating System and reads a little bit like advertising for his system. The book does have many useful suggestions but nothing that I have not heard before. It does put a lot of good information into one package but I found the book hard to read because of the author’s dry writing style. I was hoping that the book could give me a few exciting and new suggestions for my own company but my company is a sole...more
Goodthelife
By itself, kind of boring, but as a companion to Get a Grip, priceless.
Kendra
A very helpful and inspirational tool to re-vamping your business and getting it back on track. I know we'll be using EOS at CommonPlaces and trying to follow the book as much as possible.
Tim
Very practical book for any small business owner. Lots of detailed steps if you're looking for a system to follow. I prefer Patrick Lencioni books because they are simpler to digest, and looser on the details, which gives the business owner more leverage in the design of their strategic plans.
Mark Eric
Excited to implement this system
Anne
Very interesting book about running a business effectively.
Lynne Strang
A well-organized book with good information. Business owners will find a lot here that's useful. Just expect a lot of multi-step processes, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Donna Swedin
Recommended by my new boss, I found this book to be a great insight into how he thinks. It is directed at the owner or CEO of an entrepreneurial company, and is meant to be a guideline for growing your business. There is some very practical advice and tools that I found immediately beneficial.
Kirt
Excellent coaching guide to improve any business. Methodical, clear, and principle-based, with clear application at every level from a single person with a purpose to a large corporation with a broad spectrum of interests.
Alexandrea Hills
I won this book through goodreads giveaways.

I think this is a wonderful book for business owners. There is a lot of good suggestion and strategies to make a business better.
Bonnie
Had to read this for work. Excellent book for small business owners wanting to take it to the next level. Also a good book for those in management.
Lucinda
Great book for understanding how to keep an organization moving forward without relying on the entrepreneur who started the company
Brent
Bought the book for the team. It is very prescriptive in setting and executing on the strategy. We will start using some of the concepts.
Dick Wooden
Sep 24, 2011 Dick Wooden is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting - spot on - practical.
Simple to understand and follow methodology that focuses on what is most important.
Joel Ungar
Outstanding. Kind of like an implementable version of "Mastering the Rockefeller Habits," I can't wait to do this.
John
Entrepreneurial operating systems described in straightforward implementable steps.
Sandra Delgado
Offers tools you can use to grow/help or start your business
Barbara
Amazing book for anyone that wants to turn their company on its head.
Matt
Excellent tool for a broad spectrum of organizations!
Alisonl
Excellent. Practical. Provides an easy to follow plan.
Chad M. Brignac
Great operating system for business owners and teams.
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Investment Answer
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
Get A Grip: An Entrepreneurial Fable . . . Your Journey to Get Real, Get Simple, and Get Results Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business Get A Grip: An Entrepreneurial Fable... Your Journey to Get Real, Get Simple, and Get Results Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business Decide! The One Common Denominator of All Great Leaders