Start by marking “Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Living Your Yoga: Find...

Judith Hanson Lasater

Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,210 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
If you think that you have to escape to a cave in the Himalayas to find the enlightenment that yoga promises, think again. In Living Your Yoga, Judith Lasater stretches the meaning of yoga beyond its familiar poses and breathing techniques to include the events of daily life--all of them--as practice. Using the time-honored wisdom of the Yoga Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita to ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Rodmell Press (first published October 1st 1999)

Melissa
Aug 22, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I read this book slowly over several months. I think it allowed me to enjoy it even more. It is a lovely book that really helped me see how to bring my yoga practice to the rest of my life. But even non-yogi's can benefit from it. Some yoga philosophy, practical exercises and tips for everyday life. Truly a gem.

"Love in its purest sense is not based upon what you get from the relationship, but on what the relationship allows you to give. The depth of your love is not reflected in wha
Natalie Dunbar
Jul 08, 2014 Natalie Dunbar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a yoga teacher in training, and I received this book as a gift from the yogi who will be teaching me. I know that quieting the breath, meditating and such are all important parts of the practice, but the truth is, the older I get, the more impatient I am when reading non-fiction books.

To my surprise, once I started reading Lasater's "Living Your Yoga," I couldn't put it down. I'd find myself flowing through a chapter or two at a time on the train on the way to work, smiling, sometimes near
Amey
Sep 19, 2007 Amey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books on yoga ever. A wonderful reference in particular... Each accessible chapter introduces a concept from yogic philosophy in a way that is direct & easy to relate to... I always seem to benefit from re-reading it.
Deidre
Jan 09, 2008 Deidre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick and dirty but profound and applicable at the same time. If you practice yoga and want to take the lessons you find on the mat and work with them in your life, this book gives you tools and food for thought.
Barbara Storey
Dec 18, 2013 Barbara Storey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, moving advice on how to fully enter into a daily practice of yoga. As much of a meditation as it is a guide.
Nancie
Jan 18, 2013 Nancie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I return to this book almost daily, for inspiration and guidance.
Bernie Gourley
Jul 25, 2015 Bernie Gourley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
If you're the average joe, you probably think of yoga as a series of stretchy postures--many or most of which seem physically impossible for a run-of-the-mill human. If you’re a little more sophisticated on the subject--perhaps you've even done a few yoga classes--you realize that breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation (dhyana) are also an essential part of the practice. However, if you're hardcore, you realize that there is an entire moral, ethical, spiritual, and philosophical approach ...more
Jul 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

To all the yogi's out there (or people looking for a little wisdom) this is a very digestible book to have on hand. Judith Lasater is a well known teacher and writer and has offered great advice on how to be the best person you can be. I of all people know how flawed people can be and although I don't embrace my "less thans" I acknowlege that I am human and am capable of having bad days.

Judith has broken down the book into basic parts reflecting on the sage Patanjali and also the great yoga tex
Francisco Fantes
Simple language but inspiring for how to extend lessons from yoga throughout life. There seemed to be too many anecdotes to her personal life as a parent for me (at least for my current stage in life, I might appreciate it more in the future). However, I was impressed (and took mental notes) about her parenting style.
Liz Filippone
Sep 19, 2011 Liz Filippone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've really given a book 5 stars, but I had to with this one because it was transformational in so many profound ways. As a yoga practitioner and teacher, I could relate to many of the situations the author was writing about, which corresponded to the Yoga Sutras (A yoga philosophy written by the Sage, Patanjali thousands of years ago). There is a part in the book that hit home for me, which was in the chapter about Patience. I was actually in an experienceof my way of patience whi ...more
June
Feb 25, 2014 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought with my love of Bikram yoga that i would see what a spiritual life really means, as i more on the idea of a mindful practice. while the advice is good, it is just not my cup of tea, as evidenced by the fact that i started the book last summer and put it down for months.
Bethany
Jan 30, 2011 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is something I will re-read again. There are so many great life-lessons in it and I felt wonderful reading it. I enjoyed how Lasater quoted from different religious texts, using them all as inspiration. The only thing I struggled with was the translations from sanskrit...the English version never really made much sense until Lasater interpreted it...

I would recommend this book to anyone looking to "find the spiritual in everyday life!" However, I think to enjoy this book th
Carol
Jul 02, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I rated this book extremely high for a reason, it is so good. I recommend it for readers who are not even interested in yoga because of the life lessons she writes about. My favorite chapter was on "contentment".
Of course I did not agree with everything that she espoused but I kept wanting to underline sentences in the book but could not because it is a library book. I will order it from a bookseller and re-read and underline, it's easy to pick up but hard to put down.
Rachel Payne
Aug 26, 2014 Rachel Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this on my nightstand shelf and go back to it time and time again when I feel like I'm getting out of balance. It makes what can sometimes be esoteric yogic principles tangible, down-to-earth and relevant.
Abby
Apr 26, 2010 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief Summary:

Lasater breaks down the Sutras and the practice of yoga, giving real life examples of how what you learn on your mat is applicable to life off the mat. Essentially, Living Your Yoga is How Yoga Works "Lite".

Why I picked this up:
Recommended to be my Amber, I was excited to read this at first. But most of it was repetition of what I'd read in other books. It's all nicely condensed, but some of the examples were awkward and could have used further explanation as to their relevance in
Reader50
Feb 19, 2013 Reader50 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Judith Lasater, yoga instructor, physical therapist and contributing writer for many yoga publications, discusses the application of yoga wisdom to everyday life often using her personal experiences to guide the reader. I found her examples of the yoga principles discussed much more meaningful than the quotes she had taken from classical yoga teachings which I honestly did not understand. Lasater includes practical exercises to help the reader learn how to apply these principles in his/her own l ...more
Linda Belmont
Jun 03, 2014 Linda Belmont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my night table for years. I read it frequently and always find new things to inspire me. I think that it is a textbook for mindful living.
Cristina Oliveras
Aug 17, 2014 Cristina Oliveras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to read for an introduction to the yoga life. Practicing yoga is more than just the poses and the breathing techniques. Yoga is a lifestyle and a commitment and reading this book was the perfect beginning to my yoga practice.
Carolyn Nash
Sometimes a bit much, but I found it a good introduction into aspects of yoga beyond the physical practice.
Carolin
Jun 19, 2014 Carolin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I did like the chapters on fear and impermanence. Others were not relevant, maybe one day those will have more meaning.
There were a lot of references to her children and how amazing they are, sometimes in unrelated anecdotes to the chapter, which became a bit strenuous after a while.
Anne
Very quick read, with some positive ideas to incorporate into every day living.
Shannon
Feb 08, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a life saver. I still pick it up frequently. Like a daily guide.
Sherry
Jan 10, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wisdom on every page
a manual for living fully in every moment
Michelle
Oct 24, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
This is a truly wonderful book. When I was reading it, I would read a chapter a day, allowing time for each chapter's theme to sink in, which allowed me to see how that chapter/theme was reflected in my life.

Although I read it as a library book, I do plan to buy it, and have since collected other Judith Lasater books.

Since reading this book, I have learned that she was one of the early editors of Yoga Journal, before it became what it is today, which is highly commercial.

This is a wonderful b
Glo Sollecito
Best self help book in a long time, full of wisdom.
Kim
Dec 23, 2010 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirtuality
Like Lasater's A Year of Living Your Yoga, this book had some chapters that weren't meaningful to me and others that really struck a chord. A few mantra gems have stayed with me, and helped me to ease out of difficult situations or moods. I read Living Your Yoga on and off between books over a four month period, which I guess means that I didn't find it super engaging. I think if I'd read it during a period where I was really into a consistent daily/weekly yoga practice, and I hadn't already rea ...more
Kimz Zahour
Jul 23, 2007 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I read a short excerpt from Judith Lasater speaking during a Yoga Journal Convention over a year ago and one line really struck me as funny; she said, "Oh my God the bananas are ripe!” I couldn't tell you any more about that article or the topic, except to say her easy, down-to-earth style and sense of humor had me searching for anything she may have written. This book was quite a find... It's honest and personal, intelligent and humorous with some real wisdom about the eight-limb path of Yoga.
Mary
May 25, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith's practice and mantra suggestions are useful. My yogic path seems very different from hers. I enjoyed the book but felt it was light reading when I had expected more.
Amanda Whisner
Feb 01, 2011 Amanda Whisner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
Judith Lasater is an inspiration. I've been told, when you seek a teacher, they will appear, and I think she is mine -- it seems like every time I read something that really strikes a chord with me, it has been her words. This book epitomizes that -- full of common sense wisdom and practical techniques for bringing yoga off the mat and into your life. Loved this book enough to structure a class around it! so now I just need to meet her instead of just reading her wonderful books!
Carrie
Feb 02, 2016 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is divided into three sections: 1) Awakening Awareness: Yoga Within Yourself; 2) Widening the Circle: Yoga and Relationships; and 3) Embracing All Life: Yoga in the World.

This book was thought-provoking. I read it fairly slowly; I can see re-reading again. The real-life illustrations and examples for applying Yoga to living our lives with young children were at times hard for me to identify with.
Yoga Folks: Living Your Yoga part one--first 4 chapters 21 39 Nov 13, 2011 09:27AM
Yoga Folks: Living Your Yoga is our November book club read 23 38 Nov 05, 2011 10:52AM
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga