Start by marking “Something Spectacular: The True Story of One Rockette's Battle with Bulimia” as Want to Read:
Something Spectacular: The True Story of One Rockette's Battle with Bulimia

Something Spectacular: The True Story of One Rockette's Battle with Bulimia

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Greta Gleissner, a longtime professional dancer, dreamed her whole life of becoming a Rockette. Then she became one--and she fell into the grips of a powerful eating disorder that began poison her life from the inside out.
"Something Spectacular" is Gleissner's raw, personal chronicle of the devastating effects bulimia exacts upon her life during her time as a Rockette. As
Published May 1st 2012 by Seal Press (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Something Spectacular, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Spectacular

Amanda
A memoir that gives insight to having an eating disorder, the impact of homophobia, and an inside look at the professional dance world told in a non-linear, honest, and engaging manner.

Greta tells her memoir in the framework of a play. There are scenes, acts, overtures, etc… This lets her address the story in a non-linear way that still makes sense. It’s a creative storytelling technique that brings a freshness to her memoir.

Honesty without cruelty to herself or others is a key part of her narra
Liralen
"I maintain an heir of innocence."
-page 224

I'm sorry. I had to. It's the best typo I've seen in a while.

I almost gave this three stars because I gave Life Inside the Thin Cage two stars, and this is without question better -- but then, Life Inside the Thin Cage only barely earned its second star, and it would be pushing it to give this three.

All of which says nothing about the book.

It's not that it's a particularly bad book. It's not much different than any other eating-disorder memoir I've read
Lili Ray
Very honest account of someone deeply struggling with a very harsh disorder. I applaud her for sharing her story as honestly as she did. It took me two weeks at most to finish the book since I was so engrossed in it.
Spook Harrison
Dec 18, 2014 Spook Harrison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: New Book Shelf
I absolutely loved this one and am super-glad I have it on my kindle so I can read it again and again. Gleissner's description of her relationship with food is vivid, and even if you don't have a disordered relationship with food, perhaps just having problems with self-esteem, I think that you'll be able to relate to her struggles. I didn't want to put this memoir down so that I could sleep, that's how good it is.
Linda Dawson
I thought this book was spectacular -- for sure. Written by a local author in the Lenexa/Shawnee, KS, area, I was really taken with Ms. Gleissner's writing talent. I could not put it down -- wonderful from first page to last!
Jennifer Barr
Excellent insight to bulemia
Lila
Lila marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Brittany Renee'
Brittany Renee' marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Kelsey Birch
Kelsey Birch marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jess Huston
Jess Huston marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Dara Levine
Dara Levine marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Brittney Norman
Brittney Norman marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mental Illness Ad...: New Bulimia Book 1 5 Jan 24, 2014 12:00PM
Greta Gleissner is a New York based psychotherapist and author specializing in eating disorders. Greta's other specialties include substance abuse and addictions, mood disorders, and parent-child relationship issues. In her practice, Greta uses an eclectic approach, utilizing a combination of CBT, DBT, Family Systems, and Psychodynamic interventions.

In recovery herself, her first book, Something S
More about Greta Gleissner...