A Cook's Journey to Japan: Fish Tales and Rice Paddies 100 Homestyle Recipes from Japanese Kitchens

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"A Cook's Journey to Japan" is a marvelous collection of recipes based on one woman's journey through the simple, yet evocative, everyday foods found across Japan. This heartwarming--and hunger-inducing--book recounts the author's journey through Japan as she gathered recipes from everyday Japanese people--from wives, husbands, mothers and fathers to innkeepers and line co...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 2010)

gina
I liked this book and wrote down a few things I'll google later to see about getting my husband to cook. He lived in Japan for a while in college and enjoys Japanese food immensely. He wasn't happy with my suggestions and actually took the book and wrote down lots of recipes for us to try. He enjoyed the writing and laughed at how perfectly she explained some of the experiences and oddities that a traveler who lives there will come upon in their stay. So if you've lived in Japan or traveled ther...more
Brenda

The recipes are good, and it is helpful that in some of the recipes it shows you pictures of how to do it. I like how she tell you all the ingredient and kitchen ware you might need for you to start your cooking! I will try some of the recipes!!
David Ward
A Cook's Journey to Japan: Fish Tales and Rice Paddies/100 Recipes from Japanese Kitchens by Sarah Marx Feldner (Tuttle Publishing 2010)641.5951 is a beautifully photographed volume of sumptuous dishes. My rating: 5/10. Finished 2/22/11.
susie Marie
I don't think anyone tested these recipes before placing them in cookbook. My food looked nothing like the picture. My buckwheat cookies looked like piles of turds and weren't crispy at all.
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 18, 2014
Li
Li marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Keshia
Keshia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Plch
Plch marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Melissa Long
Melissa Long marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Judy
Judy added it
Jun 04, 2012
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012