Start by marking “Zen and the Beat Way” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Zen and the Beat Way

Alan W. Watts

Zen and the Beat Way

"Zen and the Beat Way" is based upon selections from Alan Watts's early radio talks, many of which were first aired on the Pacifica Radio Network in the late fifties and early sixties, and sessions from two of his most compelling seminars
in the mid-sixties.
Published May 27th 2014 by Tuttle Publishing (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Zen and the Beat Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen and the Beat Way

Amber
May 30, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
My partner in life was involved in a horrible car accident in December 2011. Today it is six months later and THANK GOD he is ok, but we both have aged about twenty years. Now that the storm has settled and I can concentrate on every day life again, I am gravitating back to the things that mean the most to me. Because my perspective is now forever changed, the list is short. Besides my wonderful man, I care about dance, yoga, Zen. I am no longer concerned with the 10,000 things--the minutiae of ...more
Danielle Vagabond
LOVE THIS BOOK. MIXES SOME OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.... THE BEAT GENERATION AND ZEN BUDDHISM.
Michaela
Feb 01, 2014 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything I've read by Alan Watts is an exciting trip through shifting perspectives. He claims that the Beat movement (and what followed) originated in the halls of Eastern Studies departments in California following World War II. My partner doesn't accept that thesis, but I actually do. Since this is a compilation of works, other concepts are discussed as well, such as our warped understanding of "time."
Chad Carson
Oct 05, 2012 Chad Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with all sorts of yummy zen tidbits of wisdom that are offered up in the unique Alan Watts manner. I highly recommend this book to anyone who doesn't take life and spirituality too serious. One of the greatest things about the work of Alan Watts is his uncanny ability to make profound concepts very practical and simple. I had a most enjoyable time reading this book ;)
Steven Elliott
Interesting and confusing all at the same time, Watts offers ideas and thoughts that were amazing, but often gave me moments of WTF. Not the most literate response to his man's work but it was honest. I will explore him more for sure, but for a reader, you may need to stop and reread his work to understand.
Bret
Sep 18, 2008 Bret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
maybe it's just where i'm at right now in life, but this book was right up my alley. zen principles, going for the authentic experience, not some watered down imitation, are what watts is getting at. a collection of short essays/lectures that he gave on the radio.
Kelly Caplan
Jan 02, 2011 Kelly Caplan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, sweet collection of a few transcribed symposiums and talks Watts gave throughout the 50's. I found it a very interesting, enthusiastic introduction to Eastern Thought(Primarily Zen customs as well as a lovely and refreshing perspective of the world. I really like this guy!
Jim
A collection of essays--based on a selection of radio talks and lectures given by Alan Watts in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Prior to reading this, I had not read anything by him since my college days in the 1960s. I found these essays somewhat dated and a bit dry.
Peter Zockoll
Jul 15, 2014 Peter Zockoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More a condensed version of Watts' Way of Zen than a book about the Beat lifestyle, but a short and very accessible Zen book nonetheless.
Jay S
May 25, 2010 Jay S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, but not quite what I expected from it -- a fault that's my own for making assumptions, and not the book in itself. Still, quite an interesting & enjoyable read.
Neens Bea
Feb 06, 2014 Neens Bea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, 2015
The Beats are only mentioned in the introduction, but although the book is not what I thought it would be, I am still very glad I came across it.
Steven
Jan 17, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LIVE IN THE NOW!
Theo Logos
Theo Logos rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
sam kim
sam kim rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2007
William Hamilton
William Hamilton rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
GGutierrez
GGutierrez rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
J
J rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2011
Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2008
Christopher Cordry
Christopher Cordry rated it liked it
May 26, 2008
Geoff Mackey
Geoff Mackey rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Mike Edwards
Mike Edwards rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2008
Maraina Miles
Maraina Miles rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
6138 rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Brett
Brett rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2007
Simon_saichek
Simon_saichek rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Michael Pritchard
Michael Pritchard rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Frowns Need Friends Too
  • Smothered in Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback, and Obituaries
  • Krishnamurti to Himself: His Last Journal
  • Talks with a Devil
  • The Really Funny Thing About Apathy
  • الزمان والأزل: مقال في فلسفة الدين
  • Views from the Real World: Early Talks Moscow Essentuki Tiflis Berlin London Paris NY Chicago as Recollecte
  • IF U DONT LOVE THE MOON YOUR AN ASS HOLE
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky
  • Baby Geisha
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • An Outline of Philosophy
  • The Natural History of Religion
  • Listomania
  • Problems of Knowledge and Freedom: The Russell Lectures
  • The Violence of Organized Forgetting: Thinking Beyond America's Disimagination Machine
  • Stories V!
  • The Taoist I Ching
Alan Wilson Watts was a British philosopher, writer and speaker, who held both a Master's in Theology and a Doctorate of Divinity. Famous for his research on comparative religion, he was best known as an interpreter and popularizer of Asian philosophies for a Western audience. He wrote over 25 books and numerous articles on subjects such as personal identity, the true nature of reality, higher con ...more
More about Alan W. Watts...

“It is interesting that Hindus, when they speak of the creation of the universe do not call it the work of God, they call it the play of God, the Vishnu lila, lila meaning play. And they look upon the whole manifestation of all the universes as a play, as a sport, as a kind of dance — lila perhaps being somewhat related to our word lilt” 47 likes