Blank-133x176
Wabi Sabi: The Japanes...

Andrew Juniper

Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Wabi sabi, the quintessential Japanese design aesthetic, is quickly gaining popularity around the world, as evidenced by recent articles in "Time," "The Chicago Tribune" and "Kyoto Journal." Taken from the Japanese words "wabi," which translates to less is more, and "sabi," which means attentive melancholy, wabi sabi refers to an awareness of the transient nature of earthl...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Tuttle Publishing (first published November 15th 2003)

Tim Murray
This book starts so well, explaining how the flaws in an object can increase how good the product is and essentially means that it is unique and there are more things to appreciate.

After this the author talks a lot about tea ceremonies. Something I would be interested in but they never actually described what is involved in a tea ceremony. I found this very frustrating.

The last third was the worst as it degenerates into a rant about how modern society is evil and everything was better in the ol...more
Kate
So, you want an excuse for why the drawer in your coffee table is broken off? Why you haven't replaced the sofa that was shredded by your cat's claws? Just tell your guests that you have chosen a wabi sabi life. You are practicing the art of impermanence and finding beauty in the imperfect. You can get away with what Martha Stewart would consider murder by invoking the ancient art of wabi sabi. The beauty of a chipped cup. The magnificence of a rusted wheelbarrow. I have personally decided to ne...more
Sd
"This idea that artists is not really the creating force is an underlying theme in the arts of Japan, and it is the supreme achievement of an artist to reach the levels where concious effort and thought are abandoned to the dictums of the unseen forces that guide our lives. It is therefore the spirit of the artist at the moment of performance that is the criteria by which art is judged in Japan."

"If we wish to be truly creative, then isn't it necessary to go beyond the rearranging of symbols to...more
David
Dec 11, 2007 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
the song through the thinnest of white wires is coming from halifax via a recording studio in phoenix to here. "lean on in. and let me bend your ear. i heard a little love will go a long way here. if i could, i'd get lost tonight." isnt this it? the way an opening band comes on to a sparse audience of half claps and wooden floors and plugs in. and from the first strum of the guitar or first pluck of the banjo envelop the place in somewhere else and pick you up while standing still and you are tr...more
Caliban227
Interesting, but repetitive.
Elly Sands
This is an exquisite, articulate book about the attributes of Wabi Sabi. Although the definition of Wabi Sabi is allusive and still evolving, it can be characterized by it's appreciation of imperfection, humility,the impermanence of all things, and a deep connection with the natural world.The author beautifully describes Wabi Sabi as an art, a philosophy, a way of seeing and living life. Ironically I thought this book was a perfect writing about the beauty of imperfection.
Roxane Beth Johnson
One of the many books I read most of, but not all. I read what was useful to me as a writer in search of I dont' know what...an idea? An interesting turn of phrase? Beautifully written in it's exploration of the beauty of slightly slanted aesthetics. In short, knit the perfect rug but be sure there's a visible flaw in it.
Brooke
I prefer reading books about art that have an artist sensibility tied to the writing. This read like Ben Stein wrote it. I learned some things but I did not get the feeling he did any field research. I felt like I was getting a lecture from a climatologist on snowboarding.
Lewis Manalo
Dec 02, 2007 Lewis Manalo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have stuff.
A great introduction to an aesthetic that had its beginnings in Japan. A way of living as much as it is a 'style,' wabi sabi should be of interest to people in the arts as well as conservationists and economists.
Denise
hehe laugh at the rhyming name, no just kidding your zen is no laughing matter! Like the ideas in here but hard to absorb, prefer Buddhism Plain and Simple for my Zen teachings, but this may be worth another look...
Marie-pierre Stien
A provocative new way of seeing beauty in those things that aren't necessarily judged to be so. The book delves into both history and philosophy of this Japanese concept.
Mary
Really intersting....highly recommend to artists, designers, etc.
Lindsay
Not many pictures but a lot of great information.
tomiok
Thorough and entertaining.
Yan Yanyan
Yan Yanyan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Caroline Maroulis
Caroline Maroulis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Michel
Michel marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Natsumi
Natsumi marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Izzy Joy
Izzy Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Judith
Judith is currently reading it
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation
  • The Making of Modern Japan
  • No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War
  • The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
  • A History of Japan: From Stone Age to Superpower (Second Edition)
  • Looking for the Lost: Journeys Through a Vanishing Japan
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of Shogun (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • Memories of Silk and Straw: A Self-Portrait of Small-Town Japan
  • Self and Others
  • A World History Of Art
  • Japanese Prints
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Yokai Attack!: The Japanese Monster Survival Guide
Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence Wabi Sabi: El Arte De La Impermanencia Japones/ the Japenese Art of Impermanence (El Viaje Interior / Inner Journey)