Start by marking “Selected Writings And Speeches Of Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Selected Writings And ...

Abraham Lincoln

Selected Writings And Speeches Of Abraham Lincoln

Ranging form finely honed legal argument to dry and sometimes savage humor to private correspondence and political rhetoric of unsurpassed grandeur, the writings collected in this volume are at once the literary testament of the great writer ever to occupy the White House and documentary history of American in Abraham Lincoln's time.
Paperback
Published by Hendricks House (first published February 18th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Writings And Speeches Of Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Writings And Speeches Of Abraham Lincoln

Gabriela Paige
This book is also another I only read a bit of for schoolwork. I liked what I read and maybe someday I'll go back and read the rest. From this work you can clearly see Abraham Lincoln was a well talented speaker. The Gettysburg Address was the most interesting and moving to read. I loved it!
Michael
Oct 05, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this from dailylit.com, the same way I'm reading The Ambassadors. It's a pretty neat free service!
Jon
Jan 25, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-read
I decided upon this book to learn more about Lincoln the writer, not Lincoln the man. I can say with confidence it is a wonderful tool if other readers decide to follow the same course that I did. If instead they want to better know Lincoln the man and the arc of his thought, this book may suffice, but I myself cannot provide the assurance.

By near every account Lincoln today is heralded the most eloquent American president; perhaps also the most fluent prose writer in American history. The secon
Colin Koopman
May 24, 2007 Colin Koopman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: america
Forged from his soul some less obscure version of the Great American Dream; felt the call of grace deep within; saw destiny before him always clearly as the sky; watched as Southern son and Northern boy stained field after field with one another's blood.

Who would deny that 600,000 dead bodies is the want of democracy, not its achievement? Yet I still believe that America's Democratic Futures will result from some more obscure portion of his greatness. Do not become enamored of Lincoln, for if we
Briana
I admit it, in a totally geeky way, I'm looking forward to these...

*EDIT*

I hesitate to say anything about Lincoln because so many people think he was just sooooo wonderful...

It was okay. He was sort of funny, sometimes, but not very often. I think I disagree with his argument against the South secession. I mean, the American Revolution could be argued against by the same standards...

And it feels like there are "good racist people" and "bad racist people".

Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.
This is a good reference book, especially on the political history of the relevant period (1830 - 1865)of the USA.

The policies of Abraham Lincoln stood and won mostly on their inherent merits. They did not need much manipulation and cunningness. Abraham Lincoln gives the impression of a plain speaker of his mind. Perhaps that did the trick.
Woody Barlow
Dec 07, 2013 Woody Barlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selected Speeches and Writing by Abraham Lincoln shows the inside of one of the greatest Americans ever, through his letters and speeches. It shows his thinking before attempts at legislation. A wonderful man well before his time.I rated the book four stars because some of the letters are mundane and could have been left out for a tighter picture. The introduction by Gore Vidal is top notch.
John
Sep 20, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What should you do when faced with a moral wrong that is protected by a constitution you are determined to uphold? That tension permeated these speeches and letters. I don't think we get a decisive answer, but we get to observe a smart, articulate, and principled person attempt the navigation. I respect him more after reading this book.
Zena Ryder
It is fascinating to be able to read Lincoln's original words and I have learnt a lot by doing so. I will be dipping into this book from time to time, as I pursue my obsession with Lincoln and the Civil War period.
Moses Operandi
Lincoln is a giant in American history, and after reading this book I see that his reputation is well-deserved. His letters and his speeches show a man of compassion, of sense, and with great qualities of leadership.
Rich
Jan 12, 2010 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing to read his speeches and writings from 1850-1870. Heard th Elgin Symphony do the Gettysburg Address set to music. Thought 'this is going to be boring' and ended up enraptured by the words. Reading the Hiuse Divided speech and moving into the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
Sean Higgins
Feb 23, 2015 Sean Higgins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omnibus, print
Probably only read about 100 pages of the 400+ and that was more than enough for now. Lincoln loved the Union more than anything else and justified his actions based on that supreme allegiance. He opened the door for more Federal power and we reap some of that rotten fruit today.
Shelby Fleischer
Necessary for the library and the appreciation of the writing skill of the most fascinating character.
Wenjenn
Wenjenn rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Owen
Owen rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2015
Erunion
Erunion rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
Klaas Swiers
Klaas Swiers rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Luisa
Luisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2010
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
John Bohl
John Bohl rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2009
Rick Alimonti
Rick Alimonti rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Matthew Sciarrino
Matthew Sciarrino rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Stanczakdoug
Stanczakdoug rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Scott Mielke
Scott Mielke rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Terence
Terence rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2008
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2008
Bennett
Bennett rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Dennis Hart
Dennis Hart rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney: The Life Story of America's Great Evangelist-In His Own Words
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates
  • Lion of Liberty: The Life and Times of Patrick Henry
  • The Essential Writings
  • The Eclogues and The Georgics
  • Postmodern Times: A Christian Guide to Contemporary Thought and Culture
  • Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620-1647
  • Thinking Toolbox
  • The Patriot's Handbook: A Citizenship Primer for a New Generation of Americans
  • Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 Reported by James Madison
  • Writings
  • And the Dead Shall Rise: The Murder of Mary Phagan and the Lynching of Leo Frank
  • The Life and Selected Writings
  • A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
  • Winston S. Churchill: Youth, 1874-1900 (Volume I) (Churchill Biography)
  • To the Best of My Ability
  • Lincoln  President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...

“These [the armed forces] are not our reliance against a resumption of tyranny in our fair land. All of them may be turned against our liberties, without making us stronger or weaker for the struggle. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in our bosoms. Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where.... Familiarize yourselves with the chains of bondage, and you are preparing your own limbs to wear them. Accustomed to trample on the rights of those around you, you have lost the genius of your own independence, and become the fit subjects of the first cunning tyrant who rises.” 17 likes