Start by marking “A Better Man” as Want to Read:
A Better Man

A Better Man

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

Roth Sterling is a straight shooter, a guy you want on your side. As a soldier, he defended his country. As a cop, he upholds the law. For a kid who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, he's done well for himself. Now he's back in his hometown, only this time, he's the new police chief.
Published August 1st 2012 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Better Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Better Man

Tia
Jul 22, 2012 Tia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hero and heroine got together when they were teens. When the heroine turned up pregnant, the hero handed her money and told her to deal with the problem, then he left town for twelve years. The heroine decided against abortion and had her baby, now the hero is back and he's about to find out a BIG truth!

The book was entertaining enough and decently written. However the ending was so abrupt, it was like I drove my car off a cliff. I expected a lot more. What happened to all these juicy epilogues?
Brie C.
Sep 04, 2012 Brie C. marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I keep reading secret baby stories. This one was bad, the heroine was a jerk and whiny. I think the reader is supposed to understand her but I found her annoying. The hero broke up with her and told her to get an abortion, so I kind of get the secret baby that's not really secret. But nothing about the book worked for me.
Susan
Very good book. Roth has returned to Quincey, a town he swore he would never come back to. He grew up with a physically abusive father who ended up in prison. Now he's getting out and planning to move back with Roth's mother (who swears his dad has changed). Roth has taken over as police chief (Piper's dad's job before his stroke) so that he can be there to protect his mother. Roth had been in love with Piper when they were in high school. Piper's dad forced Roth to leave town, but not before Ro ...more
Barb
Mar 10, 2013 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

He's in for a few surprises, however. Piper Hamilton--the girl he loved--still has the power to move him. And they are tied together thanks to the son he didn't know he had. Roth is determined to do right by P
Gail
Good read. The hero has just come home to the old homestead to take over the chief of police job from the heroine's dad. Dad didn't want to leave the job, so he's resentful. The heroine is worried because she doesn't want him to know he's the father of her son. Oh, and the hero is worried about his dad getting out of prison and starting up his old bad habits, including beating up mom. This is a tangly, complicated, angsty story done very, very well. As Emilie always does. Good, good stuff. :)
E_bookpushers
Oh man I really enjoyed this one. Their back story. The hero's motivations. How he went after the heroine. How he fought back from his previous reputation. The character growth included all sorts of people not just the hero and heroine. I also liked the side romance between the heroine's parents.
Sonja
Sep 17, 2012 Sonja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Loved the sweet reunion romance between the two main characters-- reunion stories are my favorite anyway, and this one was definitely right up my alley. Well-written, expertly characterized, and great, satisfying ending!
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star.

Piper kinda bugged me but otherwise, good story.
Tawnya
Oct 20, 2012 Tawnya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, her books keep getting better and better.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Count on a Cop
Category: Heart & Home
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Count on a Cop
Category: Heart & Home
Dorothy Red
Dorothy Red is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Laura Metz
Laura Metz marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Patricia Solla
Patricia Solla rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Tricia
Tricia rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Holly
Holly added it
Mar 10, 2015
Alex L
Alex L added it
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bestselling Silhouette Desire author and Rita finalist Emilie Rose has sold 27 projects to Harlequin/Silhouette since her first sale in 2001, and her books have been released in over 20 countries around the globe.

Emilie lives in her native North Carolina with her four sons and two adopted mutts. Writing is her third (and hopefully her last) career. She’s managed a medical office and run a home day
More about Emilie Rose...