Start by marking “Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living” as Want to Read:
Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living

Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living

“Conventional wisdom,” says Roger Housden, “tells us that nobody goes to heaven for having a good time.” Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living, then, is a refreshing, liberating, and decidedly welcome dose of unconventional wisdom that awakens us to the simple delights and transformative joys of the world around us.

With elegance, gentle humor, and remarkable openness, Housden
Published December 6th 2005 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living

Natali
Jan 12, 2008 Natali rated it did not like it
This book was just not good. It is a diary, not a life anthem. The author organizes the book into seven sins but he barely articulates what they are. Instead he talks about his own life in egregiously touchy feely detail. I would only forgive this kind of writing if the author is on shrooms or ecstasy. I swear I tried to find a lesson that I could use from this book but I failed miserably. If I could unread this book, I would.
Kristy
Sep 10, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it
There were several quotes in this book that inspired me. I'll share a few:

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell

"Not being perfect allows us to feel empathy and compassion, not just for ourselves but also for others. We see our own frailties and shortcomings in our friends and spouse, or we see that they stumble in their own way just as we do in ours. Not being perfect together joins us in our humanity."

"Not kno
Aubree
Feb 05, 2009 Aubree rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs to read this book. It touched me in a very profound way. The author talks about the seven things that we can do that most see as wrong or a waste of time, such as the "sin" of beign foolish, the "sin" of not knowing your direction in life, the "sin" of doing nothing, and more. As a person with three jobs and a goal of savings in mind, this book really made me think about what's truly important...having love, being yourself, enjoying the moment, etc.
Some fantastic quotes from the
Katie
Apr 08, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
If simple pleasures are your thing, read this book. Housden basically addresses the little things in life and how to ensure you don't miss them as you rush around in your harried day to day activities, because experiencing these simple pleasures is what will help you to truly enjoy life. It's a quick read and just a little reminder to stop and smell the roses from time to time. (I own this so let me know if you would like to borrow it.)
Susan
Dec 29, 2007 Susan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: life searchers
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
My husband gave this to me with a silly inscription (he liked the word "sins" mainly) but I only made it two thirds through... thoughtful thoughts but I am finding these type of books annoying lately. Probably why I can't read Eat Pray Love lately or watch Oprah anymore. Maybe it's an age thing.
Diane
Sep 08, 2008 Diane rated it liked it
My cousin and I hooted over this. Yes, it is self-indulgent and he is so in love with his much younger wife who has two small children. We'd like to catch up with him when the children are teenagers and he is teaching them to drive, in New Jersey, no less. Great quotes though and good jumping off point for other books to read.
Darleen
Apr 23, 2008 Darleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
Self-indulgent, me me me, type of "spirituality" book....The author used quotable quotes from various thinkers as a platform to talk about his own "enlightenment"....I loved the quotes, but not much in between. This book got way too much positive press. I'm glad I checked it out of the library rather than buying it.
Carol Ansara
Sep 12, 2007 Carol Ansara rated it liked it
Interesting reading. Somewhat self indulgent at times, but certainly approached life from a different angle. Refreshing look at life as worth experiencing to the full and embracing the enjoyment of life.

Good paradigm shift for anyone brought up a heavy dose of responsible guilt!
Jenny
Sep 20, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
I would have given this book 5 stars, but I don't agree with everything the author says from a religious point of view. I really liked this book, and loved several of the thoughts and insights the author shared.
Brenda
Sep 21, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
instead of focusing on achieving, having it all, doing more--this book recommends slowing down, learning who you really are--not what everyone says you should be, appreciating life, doing less. I have the 7 sins hanging up at work--to remind me....good advice for everyone.
Dyan
Jul 14, 2008 Dyan added it
two favorite "sins" - being foolish, and doing nothing. for instance, take a walk for no reason - i still need to try this.
Yariella
Dec 14, 2013 Yariella rated it liked it
apparently, this was my year of self-help reads. this was a nice, healthy read and reminder to appreciate the 'little things.'
Kathy Doll
Interesting and valid premise, but I found the execution to be too flighty and ethereal. Like a lace handkerchief. Maybe that metaphore only makes sense to me...
Paul
Jun 22, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
Housden's reflections on living a life with meanig, purpose and fulfillment was an enjoyable read and a great affirmation of what life ought to be all about.
Deb
Nov 10, 2010 Deb rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It makes you realize that every ordinary, mundane, precious moment of your life deserves to be savored and appreciated. I highly recommend reading this.
Louisa
Jan 29, 2008 Louisa rated it liked it
Although pretty preachy, the quotes throughout are worth it. An easy enjoyable read with good ideas.
Michellehthorne
Mar 10, 2010 Michellehthorne rated it it was ok
This book is a very easy read. Although it does have a few interesting insights it wasn't my favorite.
Aug 17, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
A series of essays celebrating "the little things in life" and why they should be part of one's spiritual practices.
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Jason Gruhl
Jason Gruhl rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Jose Cordero
Jose Cordero rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
M.
M. rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2007
Rabia
Rabia rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2009
Manal Abou-ghaida
Manal Abou-ghaida rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
emilio reguerin sr.
emilio reguerin sr. rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Anne Kingston
Anne Kingston rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Doug
Jul 08, 2008 Doug rated it really liked it
This is a nice, thoughtful read.
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Frida Kahlo And Diego Rivera
  • All my best friends
  • Every Shot Must Have a Purpose: How GOLF54 Can Make You a Better Player
  • History of Far Eastern Art, A (Trade Version) (5th Edition)
  • Joy's Way, A Map for the Transformational Journey: An Introduction to the Potentials for Healing with Body Energies
  • Explaining Creativity: The Science of Human Innovation
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • A Grateful Heart: Daily Blessings for the Evening Meal from Buddha to the Beatles
  • Get a Grip on Philosophy
  • Marilyn and Me: Sisters, Rivals, Friends
  • Joy: The Surrender to the Body and to Life
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
  • Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person
  • A Legacy of Stars
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • The Green Leopard Plague and Other Stories
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...

“All I know, lying in this bed or not lying here, is that this is the life that was given to me. The life that throbs along through any and all of my moments: this is it! If ever I wonder what my life was meant to look like, I have only to look around me. This, whatever I am doing or not doing, is what it is. This, right here, is as good as it gets! Your "one wild and precious life," as Mary Oliver says. And when you follow its movement, without trying to direct it with preconceived plans for the future, your life will lead you where you need to go. When you trust it, your body, rather than your mind, will walk you through the life you are meant to be living, whatever it may be.” 18 likes
“When you die, God and the Angels will hold you accountable for all the pleasures you were allowed in life that you denied yourself.” 13 likes