Start by marking “Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)

Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle #5.5)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
In Lord Emsworth and Others, readers are treated to a selection of familiar characters and places, in new and unfamiliar circumstances. Fans and initiates will be highly entertained.
Published May 13th 2002 by The Overlook Press (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Emsworth and Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Emsworth and Others

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. WodehouseRight Ho, Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseLeave It to Psmith by P.G. WodehouseThe Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseCarry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Best P.G. Wodehouse
39th out of 104 books — 103 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasLord of the Flies by William GoldingSir Gawain and the Green Knight by UnknownLord Peter by Dorothy L. Sayers
Lords, Dukes, Earls and Sirs In The Title
43rd out of 399 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
Sep 04, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, wodehouses
I doubt I've ever seen more mileage gotten out of an air rifle!

P.G. Wodehouse is a master at squeezing the most out of a very little bit. The reader of even a handful of his stories gets a sense of deja vu, but since those stories are always light, airy and full of fun, that's not such a bad thing.

In this collection of stories, based around a few of Wodehouse's recurring characters, it's the title story that struck a hilarious blow to my funny bone. Lord Emsworth is a hopelessly doddering old d
Alex Sarll
After another painful attempt at the BBC's current Blandings, what a balm to finish off the last few stories in this collection of the real Wodehouse. The title story is the only Blandings here, with Ukridge and the Oldest Member dominating (and, unusually, no sign whatsoever of Jeeves). Now, given my golfing knowledge extends exactly as far as crazy golf in Markeaton Park, the Oldest Member stories are far from my favourites - and yet, they retain that core Wodehouse-ness which at once soothes ...more
Janette
Sep 24, 2012 Janette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite short story ever written. It is not only hysterically funny, but it is also beautifully crafted. More is said about human nature in this innocuous little story than in many of the ponderous tomes of our time. Enjoy!
Stephen Osborne
May 26, 2010 Stephen Osborne rated it it was amazing
Leading off with the classic tale "The Crime Wave at Blandings", the book then offers tales from Mr. Mulliner, golf tales from the Oldest Member, and 3 Ukridge stories. The best is the Blandings Castle story, which is hilarious.
Anita
Aug 22, 2008 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Lord Emsworth may be the funniest of P.G. Wodehouse's characters -- all of them a ridiculous send-up the the British aristocracy. P.G. has been called the best writer in the English language. He is certainly the funniest.
Erica
Sep 04, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
Any book that begins by pompous people at an English being popped in the posterior by a mysteriously-ubiquitous airgun deserves a place on my permanent rotation of reading material.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Jul 31, 2011 aPriL does feral sometimes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, humor
Pure fun. Who knew the upperish classes of England could be laugh out loud foolish. Wait, I forgot how the Royal family actually behaves. This is still better.
Ensiform
Dec 15, 2011 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, wodehouse
Newcomers to P.G. might find this a bit bewildering, but if you have a few Bertie & Jeeves and Emsworth tales under your belt, this is a superb collection.

1. "The Crime Wave At Blandings." The Efficient Baxter may return to plague Lord Emsworth as his secretary, and his niece Jane threatens to marry a boy his tyrannical sister disapproves of, but all is set right, somehow, after Baxter is shot in the trousers with an air gun three or four times. [And that recap is all you need to know about
Ian Wood
Jan 16, 2008 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Lord Emsworth and Others’ is yet another anthology of P G Wodehouse short stories of which the fist and longest features Lord Emsworth who is not entirely blameless in ‘The Crime Wave at Blandings’. Wodehouse short stories are generally of a pretty constant length in order to satisfy the requirements of the numerous magazine editors Wodehouse would produce them for. ‘The Crime Wave at Blandings’ is nearly three times this length and the story benefits from it by allowing the plot to twist not u ...more
Jeff Crompton
Feb 14, 2012 Jeff Crompton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I turned to this book, one of my favorites by Wodehouse, when I needed a break from some more serious reading. There are nine stories in this collection: a Blandings Castle story, three golf stories told by The Oldest Member, a Drones Club story, and three concerning that resourceful scoundrel Ukridge. They're all excellent, but the honors have to go to "The Crime Wave at Blandings," the longest story here, and one of the best things Wodehouse ever wrote. The Efficient Baxter has returned to tor ...more
Sandi
Dec 27, 2014 Sandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2014
Collection of short stories including the extremely funny "The Crime Wave at Blandings". I also enjoyed the three golf stories and the three featuring Ukridge and found even the Mulliner and the Drones stories to be well worth reading.
sologdin
Oct 20, 2014 sologdin rated it did not like it
Shelves: literary, humor
Generally comical & salubrious narratives concerning British aristocrats. Some genuine humor at times, but mostly quirky lords and their servants. (No Jeeves stories in this one.) Whether it's sabotage of a lordly moustache-growing contest or a servant getting repeatedly shot in the arse with an airgun by his employers, it's all kinda light and silly and annoying. Not for me, really.

I'm glad that I read it, though, if only because now I see where Joe Abercrombie picked up his aristocrats' ma
Maddie
Jul 09, 2012 Maddie rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
This Wodehouse collection broadened my experiences beyond the Bertie and Jeeves to which I am accustomed. The title (as it clearly indicates) starts with Lord Emsworth (of Blandings Castle) and continues with "others" in this case the tales of several Drones Club members, and the scoundrel Ukridge. This was my first taste for Ukridge and I must say I do not care for him much as he seems a character only concerned with himself. Bertie gets into quite a number of scrapes but it is usually with goo ...more
Jeremy
May 14, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
Wodehouse is now going to be a vacation go-to author. Clever stories, masterful use of language, pleasant plot twists, wonderfully colorful characters.
Brooke
Mar 29, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has a sense of humor
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
P.G Wodehouse is so therapeutic for when life is a little too serious, it has been a life saver recently. Laugh out loud funny at times. My favorite story was The Crime Wave at Blandings . . . Buried Treasure was great too . . . so was The Masked Troubadour and the last three short stories with Mr Ukridge. Oh, my goodness, it was all great, definitely something I'll keep on my bookshelf and read again. Stories where the charaters get themselves in the most ridiculous predicaments and every endin ...more
Neil
Aug 02, 2010 Neil rated it it was amazing
Nine short stories, well one of them is actually a long-short story, but never mind. One Blandings Castle, one Mr. Mulliner, three oldest member, one Drones club and three Ukridge's.

Wodehouse throughout at his most typical and consequently best. Special praise has to go to "The crime wave at Blandings" the long one (70 pages instead of the usual average of 25) probably next best the Ukrodge story "the level business head" but there's so little in it it's hard to choose.
Katherine
Oct 26, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
“His pince-nez, as always happened when he was emotionally stirred, had leaped from their moorings” (9).
“Lord Emsworth sought feverishly for arguments which would quash this frightful scheme” (11).
“A short-sighted man whose pince-nez have gone astray at the very moment when vultures are gnawing at his bosom seldom guides his steps carefully” (12).
“...and his soul shrank into itself like a salted snail” (17).
“Lord Emsworth was in no mood for yoo-hooing nieces…” (34).
“And Lord Emsworth was in wors
Jackie Summers
Jan 26, 2014 Jackie Summers rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed many of the Jeeves and Wooster novels and this was my first non-Jeeves Wodehouse and I really enjoyed. Amused me greatly the only negative was there are 3 stories in a row pertaining to golf. I'm not a big fan of golf and don't know a lot of the terminology so those 3 were a bit tough to get through but the story behind the playing of golf was wonderful.
Krisette Spangler
Feb 18, 2011 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This is a collection of short stories. There is only one story from the Blandings Castle series, and it was laugh out loud funny. The other stories weren't quite as clever, but I still enjoyed reading them. I would recommend reading the Blandings Castle from the beginning. It has some of my favorite Wodehouse characters.
Devil
Oct 16, 2013 Devil rated it really liked it
Another delicious Wodehouse audiobook. This is a kind of book that really benefits from a narrator telling you the story. These are 9 short stories, some of them related to each other and some are about golf, which is a little harder to follow if you don't know much about it.
Rae
May 05, 2008 Rae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-stuff
Nine short stories including The Crime Wave at Blandings in which Baxter gets pinged with an airgun by (a)George (b)Beach the butler and (c)Lord Emsworth himself, twice. This was the very first Wodehouse I read. I was hooked! Hilarious British humor.
Susanna
Aug 31, 2012 Susanna rated it liked it
Several of these stories were especially humorous and entertaining, but I was tired of hearing about golf at the end of it. So many of the stories centered around this sport - and I know nothing about it. Overall, very good read, though.
BJ Rose
Mar 27, 2011 BJ Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, humor
What's not to like about P.G. Wodehouse?!
Lord Emsworth was the jewel in the crown of these short stories, and by itself would have a 5* rating. But a a non-golfer, I didn't really enjoy the humor in some of the other stories.
Jacqueline
Dec 02, 2008 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Very funny, in an old fashioned kind of way that I like. Not a big fan of the golf stories but love the Ukridge character and his aunt Julia. Need to look out for the Jeeves collection.
Andrea
May 06, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of British humour
Recommended to Andrea by: Rachel
Definitely funny British social commentary, would probably be more funny if I knew more about golf. These would make great radio plays or TV episodes (someone's probably already done it).
Steve Mitchell
Aug 01, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories from the Master of Mirth, this book has some serious laugh-out-loud moments. This is another instant classic from one of my favourite authors.
Matt
Jul 10, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, classics
Clever, witty and just plain fun to read. You have to get used to his style at first and then it's all down hill from there.
Bunnyhugger1
I really enjoyed the first - and longest - story, "The Crime Wave at Blandings" but somehow couldn't get into the others.
Sayeda Rebeka
Mar 11, 2014 Sayeda Rebeka rated it it was amazing
This one is one of my favorite short stories of all times. It is not only funny, but it is also awesomely written.
Roshni
Dec 21, 2010 Roshni rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy-and-humor
Wodehouse always makes me laugh, the antics of his characters and the fantastic dialogues make this book a must-read
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Christmas at Fairacre
  • The Old Bank House
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • Chocolate: The Consuming Passion
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm
  • The Third Mind
  • A Little Learning
  • The Chronicles of Clovis
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3)
  • Dorothy Parker Stories
  • Beware of the Trains (Gervase Fen, #9)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Blandings Castle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • Leave It to Psmith
  • Blandings Castle
  • Summer Lightning
  • Heavy Weather (Blandings Castle, #5)
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Full Moon (Blandings Castle, #7)
  • Pigs Have Wings (Blandings Castle, #8)
  • Service With a Smile
  • Galahad at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #10)