Start by marking “Downtown Green: Gone to Green Series - Book 5” as Want to Read:
Downtown Green: Gone to Green Series - Book 5

Downtown Green: Gone to Green Series - Book 5 (Green #5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Does Lois care enough about Green to follow someone else's ideas to save it?
Published April 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Downtown Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downtown Green

Molly
Mar 14, 2012 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: PUYB
Sometimes when a series continues past book 3 or 4, things just don't sit well anymore and it feels like the author is making an attempt to "drag" the story out. But, Judy Christie has bypassed that and created a FIFTH book that doesn't drag or bore the reader! I've read the other books in Ms. Christie's Green series and this one, well, this one is my favorite of them all! I think it's because the plot line reminds me a little of the movie Cars :-).

There's a new bypass that's diverting the traff
Barbara
Having read all five books in this series, I've come to really like the town of Green and it's many citizens. And I mean MANY citizens; these people float in and out of each book, and sometimes it's hard to keep them straight.

The only big disappointments I have are that their all-too-real problems are presented in a too simplistic way and are too easily and quickly solved. I know these books are supposed to be uplifting, but life just doesn't happen this way.

My other issue is that while most o
Pat W. Kirk
Lois Craig, owner of the Green News-Item newspaper, new mother, and proud citizen of Green, watches the downtown businesses wane without customers. Zach Price, her ex boss, wants to acquire the newspaper to merge with his large one. Major Wilson, newly released from prison, and Jerry Taylor fight to bring an industrial development to replace the main streets. Meanwhile, the scenic lake becomes not as scenic as the weed, giant salvinia, doubles, rapidly covering it.

Lois and concerned friends str
Kathleen
Green fans .... are you ready for the next installment from the friendly citizens of Green, Louisiana? In the fifth installment of the Green series, the treasured small southern town is in danger of going to the wayside due to the construction of a bypass loop. With the opening of the bypass loop, the traffic has decreased and has had a negative impact on the livelihood of the businesses in the town. Lois Barker Craig, owner of the town's newspaper, The Green News-Item, becomes the town's champi ...more
Melanie
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Downtown Green is the first book I've read by Judy Christie and the fifth book in her "Green" series. While some things were slightly confusing at first (like the characters), I did end up enjoying the novel and didn't feel too lost.

There were two things I personally didn't like in Downtown Green. The first thing was how the preacher was a woman - I believe a woman shouldn't be the pastor of a church (i.e. 1 Timothy 2:12). The other thin
RivkaBelle
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
Book provided by publisher for review.

Note: Downtown Green is the fifth book in a series about Green, Louisiana. I somehow managed to miss this detail until I started reading, but thankfully it can be read as a stand-alone.

As Downtown Green opens, the town is just preparing to celebrate the opening of a new bypass loop - one with more opponents than advocates. With a quicker way to get around town, downtown traffic drops off dramati
Lisa Vira
I've read all books in the series. Fan of main character Lois. I enjoyed the "everything works out in the end" storyline even if a bit unrealistic. I want to escape from reality a bit and these books do that. I think you would need to read past ones in order to appreciate this one. As a stand alone this was a bit too simple . I think it really needed more depth to characters and story. What kept me reading is that I cared about the characters and wanted to know what they would end up doing. I wo ...more
IrenesBookReviews
This book is actually number 5 in the series. I have not read the others and feel like if I did I might have enjoyed the story even more. I loved the town and the characters and will be sure to pick up the others in the series and read them as well.

This book centers on Lois the owner of the towns’ newspaper. Changes are coming to the town and she has to decide whether she wants to support these changes or walk away from it all. How the town people interact with each other and react to the differ
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Downtown Green was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library in 2013. This is the fifth book in the series. I did not read books 3 and 4, and there was just enough backstory in this book for me to understand what happened in those books.
I only gave this book 3 stars because I no longer have enough enthusiasm about this series to recommend it other readers. I found myself disagreeing with the solutions Lois gave to the community. Her imagined nostalgia, for what she hopes will be the childhood
Janice
Barbara
Although I did not grown up in a "small town", the city I did grown up in during the 50's and 60's had a "small town" feel to it. I guess that's why I related to all the books in this series. However, I must say that this book was my favorite. If you haven't read the other four, not to worry. This could be read as a stand alone book, you just wouldn't have the rich history of the characters. But the struggles of the small town of Green are ever present today in towns and cities across America. T ...more
Sue
I loved this series...really got to know each character, entered into their world, shed some tears & laughter, too! I will miss "Green LA", would really like to stop in for a chocolate malt at the Freez! Thank you, Judy, for putting these fun thoughts into stories to be enjoyed by all! :D
Reina Williams
Really enjoyed the Green series. I'm kind of sad it's not going to continue, to see what happens to some of the secondary characters, but Christie did a great job wrapping up the various threads. And I can't be too sad, as I look forward to the continuation of her new Sweet Olive series! Christie's books got me out of my two-year-long reading funk...so if you're looking for feel-good, genuine reads, look no further!
Lillie
Entertaining and heart-warming but not quite as much fun for me as the beginning of the series.
Brenda
I loved this entire series. My grandmother and grandfather owned a newspaper in a small town up north and I used to spend summers there. Sitting in the love seat in the apartment over looking main street. Helping to fold papers for the insert to the Sunday edition.

The bypass went through and no one is coming into down town Green. Lois ends up buying a business, she has a baby boy now, and she gets up to her ears in trying to save down town Green from extinction!
LadyCalico
I just couldn't get into this book. I forced myself through it a few pages at a time, an experience equivalent to trying to slog through pluff mud, and it took forever--but today I finally made it--free at last! Much of the book just seemed to ramble on and on about nothing, and I found it impossible to care about any of the multitude of shallowly-drawn, uninteresting characters who populated this town. This series seems to have run out of steam.
Betty
I just loved the Green series and hope there will be a 6th...There are loose ends, so I feel confident we'll see another. While this series takes place in the computer/cell age, the hometown spirit takes one back to a childhood in the fifties when life was simpler and children played outside till nightfall. Delightful read; highly recommended to those who appreciate hometown concerns, warm friendships, and Christian values.
Wmd9800
Easy read. No major surprises, but I find that these books are less about "surprises" and more about, "Oh, yeah...maybe I shouldn't think like that either..." (I mean, really, they ARE Christian fiction.) And even though it's Christian fiction, you are not beaten over the head with it...it's IN the book because, guess what? It's a part of LIFE. I feel like I've gotten to know the characters after five books. :)
Peg
I just finished reading the entire Green series (books 1-5) and loved the strong character development (including flaws that real people have) and story lines and how well they meshed and felt real. Loved the News Item bits at the beginning of each chapter throughout the 5 novels, and how Judy blended real faith issues into the storyline without bonking the reader over the head.
ChrisGA
Last of the 5-book series--delightful conclusion with revitalized downtown, more romances for secondary characters, and a new business venture for Chris and Lois--and their baby, Eddie, who magically appeared between book 4 and 5. The series had a lot to say about the value of small town living, working together on a common goal, and faith-in oneself, one's friends and God.
Margaret
The drama in Green, Louisiana is always over the top and the influence of newspaper owner Lois is no doubt overplayed, but I still love visiting Green every time a new book in the series comes out. The characters are real, quirky at times, and as some favorite characters leave, new ones arrive so that each book is fresh and interesting and much anticipated.
Ashley
Another lovely book about the lives of those in Green, Louisiana. As Lois Barker Craig sets out once again to solve the problems in their small community, we become better acquainted with some of the characters and say goobye to a few dear friends. I am hoping that this isn't the final installment though, because I still have a bunch of unanswered questions.
Lisa
I enjoyed this series, this being book 5. I wasn't as impressed with this one. The characters are still wonderful, but I though the storyline jumped too much and wasn't cohesive like the other books. I would have liked the ending to be a bit less vague, I was a bit confused. There is supposed to be another book it the series, so we will see.

Marilyn
This has been a good series to read. I have enjoyed following the growth of the characters. I do not read many christian novels, but this series was not overdone. Lois is a good female character to follow in this day and age. Love the fact that there were many good family connections. Very good read.
Heather
This is a charming story about likeable characters. Because there's so much going on with various plot developments, there's not much emotional depth. I would have preferred fewer story lines if, in exchange, we could get into Lois' head and learn more about her feelings.
Glad to see the town comes together but I think I'm done now as well. This series has just hung in the mediocre range for me the whole time. I just want to move on to something that really feels like a retreat to an oasis when I sit down and read it.
Sherry
Finally #5 was free for nook! I've enjoyed each of these books, hopefully this isn't the end of the series. the only thing, when was the baby born?? Missed that part.
Hal
A light pleasant read. Should really get another half star. This books wasn't quite as good as some of its predecessors. In my opinion it was a bit too predictable.
Bonnie Mcdonald

Hated to see the last book end but I feel like there will be more to come. A lot of loose ends. Still an enjoyable series.
Maryann
The only sad thing is that this is the last in the series. It was fun to see the growth in Lois and others in the town of Green.
  • Always the Designer, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #3)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • Delivered with Love
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Long Time Coming
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Stars Collide (Backstage Pass, #1)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #1)
  • Beside Two Rivers (Daughters of the Potomac, # 2)
  • The Mother Road
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
  • One Imperfect Christmas
Judy Christie is an author and consultant who lives in Northwest Louisiana.

She writes inspirational fiction and nonfiction. Her popular Green series chronicles the goings-on in the small Louisiana town of Green and is part of Abingdon Press’s new inspirational fiction line.

Judy is also the author of the popular Hurry Less, Worry Less nonfiction series, published by Abingdon Press.

Wreath, published
More about Judy Christie...

Green (5 books)
  • Gone to Green (Green #1)
  • Goodness Gracious Green (Green #2)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Rally 'Round Green (Green #4)
Gone to Green (Green #1) Goodness Gracious Green (Green #2) The Glory of Green (Green #3) Rally 'Round Green (Green #4) Sweet Olive (Trumpet & Vine, #1)