Start by marking “When the Cookie Crumbles” as Want to Read:
When the Cookie Crumbles

When the Cookie Crumbles (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House--a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie--and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their parties. But the real-life version of their magnificent gingerbread house is about to crumble to pieces...
Tensions are running high as Chatterley Heights' 250th birthday celebr
Published August 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about When the Cookie Crumbles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Cookie Crumbles

Julie Derby
Love the characters in this cozy series about two woman who run a Cookie Cutter shop - "The Gingerbread House" and cookie catering business. The story begins with the mayor's over-the-top desire to control how their town's 250th birthday celebration goes, you kind of want to throttle her as time passes; but, eventually we learn more about why she is the way she is and how her life is woven into the mystery. Other than the mayor, I enjoy the relationships between the characters and the setting of ...more
Debbie
"When the Cookie Crumbles" is a cozy mystery that left me craving gingerbread. It's the third novel in the series, but you don't need to read the previous novels to understand this one, and this one didn't spoil the previous mysteries.

I enjoyed the characters in this cozy. There was a good variety of personality types, and the characters acted in realistic ways to the different situations. Olivia was a sensible gal who handled people well and was likable. The details about cookie decorating and
Stacy
This is the third book in the series, when I first started reading them I wasn't too sure bout em. Seems like maddi never sleeps & is always baking cookies. Livie seems to never be runnin her business but runnin round town instead. The series grew on me and it's a good read but not one of my favorite series. She casts suspicion on a variety of characters with the actual mixed in with them. This book had a lil less violence pointed at livie than the last but it was still good. Only wish is th ...more
Sue Ross
Olivia and Maddie are the co-owners of The Gingerbread House, a decorated cookie and cookie cutter store in Chatterly Heights.
When the late and the last of the Chatterly family makes an appearance back in Chatterly Heights just in time for the 250th anniversary celebration of it's founding, questions abound.
Once he takes over Chatterly Mansion again there are even more questions. Is he the real Paine Chatterly, or is he a fake? A far better question though, is who killed him and why? Was it his
Melodie
This is really a 2.5 star read, but I'm feeling generous today and going the extra .5. This series just really doesn't do a thing for me. The best character is the dog! Maybe I'd like the books better if they had recipes. I don't know, but something is definitely missing for me! Eh!!
Angela
No connection to the characters. Read first 2 books with same issue. Was hoping the series would improve as it has a good foundation but just couldn't engage. Also, too many inconsistencies in the storytelling, became distracting.
LORI CASWELL
Chatterley Heights’ is celebrating its 250th birthday and Mayor Karen Evanson is running the planning committee ragged with her demands and numerous meetings. Maddie is busy making a Gingerbread town including a house that looks like the famous Chatterley Mansion. Olivia is on cookie making duty and at Karen’s beck and call. Everyone just wants the celebration to go smoothly and maybe bring some tourists to Chatterley Heights.

The entire town gets a big surprise when Paine Chatterley shows up rig
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
The first half of this book went really slowly for me, and I had a really hard time getting into it. In part because Ms. Lowell made the mayor such a nasty, ungrateful, rude piece of work. This seems to be a very popular trend in cozies lately: add a character that is completely, thoroughly hateful, allow them to treat everyone including the protagonist like shit, then have the protagonist roll over and take it like a co-dependent abuse victim. What is this about? Has some publisher told authors ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This series is really growing on me. I still wish there was the occasional background on a specific cookie cutter but this storyline came close. We learned about an entire Antique cookie cutter collection.

Sleuth and owner of the 'Gingerbread House', Olivia Greyson, finds herself embroiled in a mystery involving the entire town of Chatterley Heights. The town is celebrating the 250th anniversary of it's founding. Center to the fete is the Chatterley Mansion, now owned by the town as the last owne
Jackie
'When the Cookie Crumbles' by Virginia Lowell is a culinary fictional mystery read. Not great writing, but I didn’t know who the murderer was until the end. It didn’t captivate my attention and I was disappointed there were no recipes especially since the author constantly talked about gingerbread cookies being a comfort and relaxing people. However, I was intrigued by the front cover- I found the picture fun and colorfully delightful.
Adrienne
I absolutely loved it! This series is easy to read but it still keeps you turning pages. She writes so well that I feel like I'm right there, in town with everybody. I feel like I am Olivia Greyson. I really appreciate the fact that you can read the books out of order and it won't spoil anything for you. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I'll indulge myself in these cookie cutter mysteries anytime!
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Bookadventurer
Loved the previous two, but this one is going extremely slow for me. I started another book, which I never do before finishing the one I'm reading, which doesn't bode well for me making it to the end of When the Cookie Crumbles (I'm about 1/2 way through).

I'm also extremely irritated with Olivia's relationship with Del. He seems to use her to babysit suspects and to snoop around, basically doing his job for him. She never seems to be running her business, leaving it all dumped in poor Maddie's l
Paul Lunger
The 3rd book in Virginia Lowell's Cookie Cutter Shop mystery series, "When the Cookie Crumbles" is an average fare mystery involving a death at the celebration of the Chatterly Mansion's 250th Anniversary. When Paine Chatterly turns up dead, Olivia Greyson & her partner Maddie take time out from building a replica gingerbread house to solve the mystery. Lowell's story is a bit boring in places & as far as mysteries are concerned this one basically is run of the mill with the baking as a ...more
Darlene Ferland
This series just gets more interesting with each book! Virginia Lowell's characters are well thought out as well as realistic. I can't wait for the next cozy treat.
Mary
No mystery here that I always want to bake cookies when I'm reading these.
Paula Carter
This book is the 3rd in this series. It was a good, fast read. I enjoy Virgnia Lowell's books.
Susan
An heir, long thought dead, returns to Chatterley Heights just in time to forbid tours of the mansion being lovingly restored by volunteers at the forthcoming 250th anniversary of the founding of the town. Paine Chatterley and his English wife Hermione antagonize a lot of people, and Olivia, who's on the anniversary committee, and her best friend and business partner Maddie are drawn into the investigation when they want to be baking cookies.
Allison
This series has such an interesting premise to me. Cookie cutters. Who knew they could be so interesting and apparently valuable. Guess I need to look in the baking drawer at my cookie cutters. I really love the character, Maddie, she is so fun, outgoing and a great cook. The murder mystery was good, I didn't exactly guess who done it til almost the end and even then I wasn't sure. Nice story line.
Dancing Flamingo
Certain events are unlikely to happen, nonetheless I enjoyed the book as the element of mystery is always there.
Marie
The more I read of this series the better I like it. What I really enjoyed about this one was more detail about cookie cutters, more relationship interaction and last but not least, you never REALLY know the identity of the killer till the very end. A good enjoyable read.
Rebecca
I enjoy this series.. i love Spunky.. and I enjoy Olivia and Maddie..That being said, my overall view is while this was not as good as the second book it was as good or better than the first and still an enjoyable read..will definitely continue with the series
Ali
I felt that the mystery was a little convoluted in this one, too many cooks in the kitchen. Still enjoyable, and I realized that I have a collection of vintage cookie cutters myself and this series makes me appreciate them and want to explore it further.
Brigitta {Percy Jackson Lover}
I love this series! When the Cookie Crumbles was another great installment in the series. I love the characters and the plot. Can't wait for the next book and for Del and Livie to get together! The romantic suspense is killing me!
Amy
I'm really starting to enjoy this series! As soon as I finished this book, I started the next one right away.
Darkand
Another enjoyable installment of the cookie cutter mysteries. I'm glad Maddie and Lucas are together and I love Livie's mom Ellie. Again, I would just like to see Livie and Del heating up. PS ~ I LOVE Spunky!
Gretchen
This is the third book in the series about a woman who owns a cookie shop that sells all things cookie (like cutters and cookbooks). She is always getting entangled in murder and mysteries.
Kate
This series is so fun and always super cozy. I love how Spunky, the main character's dog, is always around being adorable. Looking forward to the next in this series!
Bookishbelle
Not as exciting as the first two books. Villain was predictable and the heroine got caught because she was talking to herself on her theories....
WoW----I didn't remember how much I likes these characters! nice storyline, held the suspense till the last minute, I like that!
  • Plan Bee (A Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • How to Paint a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery, #5)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Just Desserts (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #9)
  • False Impressions (Stamping Sisters, #3)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)

A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery (6 books)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Cookies and Scream (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Men Don't Eat Cookies
Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1) A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2) One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4) Cookies and Scream (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5) Dead Men Don't Eat Cookies (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery)