A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery #1)

A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  83 reviews
"Winter is big business in small-town Snowflake, Vermont. Tourists arrive to hit the ski slopes--and what could be more satisfying after a chilly day of carving powder than a steaming bowl of soup?
"
When Lucky Jamieson inherits her parents' soup shop, By the Spoonful, she realizes it's time to take stock of her life. Should she sell her parents' house or move in herself? Do...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Spoonful of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spoonful of Murder

Rane

I'm not big on cozies that center around food. Maybe because the author tends to focus alot on the food? Maybe because I get hungry reading about all the said food?
Either way I went into reading this not all hopeful. Connie Archer hooked me into the story and didn't let go! Everything was written with just the right amount to keep the reader page turning.

Lucky Jamieson is at a hard cross road in her life. Her parents tragic deaths has left her to pick up the pieces and taking over their Mom...more
Debbie
"A Spoonful of Murder" is a cozy mystery. It started out well, but I stopped enjoying the story once the murder happened.

I did not like spending time with Lucky. She was extremely self-centered. Lucky was upset when people repeated that a murder victim was found in the alley behind her shop because she felt this was ruining her shop's good reputation. Yet basically on the basis of a vague bit of gossip, she accused three men to their face of having an affair with and murdering the victim and als...more
LORI CASWELL
Welcome to Snowflake, Vermont. Tourists arrive to hit the slopes and stop into By The Spoonful for a nice hot bowl of soup and a sandwich.

Lucky is forced to return from Wisconsin when she inherits the restaurant after an accident claims both her parents. She has a lot of decisions to make about her Grandfather who seems to be developing Alzheimer's, the restaurant, and basically her future.

When a blonde tourist is found behind dead and frozen behind the soup shop and her chef is the number one s...more
Vicky
What is it with editors and publishers these days? Just to make a buck is it? Well the discrepencies are blatant in this novel. The questions as to why Lucky didn't just move into her parents' house are there. Why is she painting the apartment in one chapter and then nothing is said again about that? It is all just filler. I don't like filler. I want a story that flows. This one doesn't. Random conversations draw me out of the story and say "what?" Interviewing "lovers" of the murder victim and...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I read this book in one evening. For a debut book, it truly caught my attention.

A young woman returns to the family business after the tragedy of losing both parents in an automotive accident. Lucky Jamieson hardly feels worthy of her name, but, to her luck, her grandfather Jack is still with her and helping greatly. Jack isn't in the best of health but his spirit and strength helps our Lucky keep the 'By The Spoonful' soup restaurant open and thriving.

Until one day, when one of the restaurants...more
Shelley Giusti
Lucky Jamieson left everything behind to move back to Snowflake Vermont. Since the death of her parents she inherited the family business, By the Spoonful, a Soup Shop in the busiest tourist season of the year. With a lot on her plate she takes the responsiblity of running the shop with the helpof her grandfather Jack and her chef Sage. But did she take on more than she could handle ? When a tourist is found dead behind the shop, business is no longer heating up. Sage is taken into custody for h...more
Julie
Ok first outing. I'll take a page through the second book to see how things shape up.

The small town and setting were fine. The support characters were ok. There wasn't a strong secondary character or "sidekick". Hopefully one will come along in the future - preferably a new one that brings some humor or sense (as in common sense) to the lead. The main character was exceptionally bullish, if that's the right word. What she did seemed a bit trite. The standard cozy mechanisms were overdone - too m...more
Laurie Stevens
I don't normally go in for cozy mysteries, but I know a lot of people do. I really liked this book. Most of the stuff I read is tantalizingly disturbing, but after reading A Spoonful of Murder, I can see why these cozies are so popular. Connie Archer knows her genre and you will be craving a creamy cup of coffee after you read this. The mystery is sound, the characters true to life, and it's a lively, fun jaunt which will cause no mental disturbances!
Lisa Kelley
In A SPOONFUL OF MURDER, my first visit to Snowflake, Vermont was a delightful one. You know, with the exception of a dead body. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Lucky Jamieson, her grandfather Jack, the entire staff of By the Spoonful, as well as Dr. Elias Scott and Mayor Elizabeth Dove.

The entire story held my attention and the search for the killer kept me guessing. There were plenty of suspects to go around and so little to know about the victim, that anything was possible.

They were a few typos...more
Kimberly
This first installment of the Soup Lover's Mystery series is sure to chase away the winter chills! Set within the small, ski resort town of Snowflake, Vermont, the By The Spoonful Soup Shop has been bringing customers in from the cold for many years...that is until a tourist is found dead at the back door and the primary suspect is the shop's very own chef himself! Pushing aside her heavy heart and desire to mourn the loss of her parents, Lucky is determined to discover the identity of the real...more
Fanficfan44
I picked up A Spoonful of Murder on a whim from my local indie bookshop. I really knew nothing about the series or the author. I usually go in with a list that I am looking for but I didn’t that day. I went home and checked the reviews on Goodreads and they were a mixed bag, but with some very critical ones. I decided to give it a shot anyway. I am really glad that I did!

I really enjoyed this mystery. A fun cozy with interesting characters. I liked the theme, a soup based restaurant, more of a s...more
Cindy
Lucky Jamieson inherits her parent's soup restaurant after their sudden death. She returns to her small hometown in Vermont to run the family restaurant, and decide what to do with her life, and her parent's estate. Life suddenly gets interesting, as a body is found behind her soup shop, and her chef is arrested for murder. Her customers have abandoned her business and she must solve the murder to save her chef and her parent's legacy!

This is the first book in the Soup Lover's Mystery series.

T...more
Norma Huss
I won this book, and got to choose between the first and second of the series. Since it was a new series to me, I chose the first, naturally. For a soup shop, winter in a town called Snowflake, is ideal. Lucky, the protagonist who has taken over the shop and her Grandfather when her parents died, is not necessarily all that lucky. There's a body in the snow, a lot of suspects, attack from un unknown assailant, a man who makes her heart go thump, former friends and new friends, as well as an empl...more
Fred
This is the first book in the Soup Lover's Mystery series. An entertaining series it looks to be.

Lucky Jamieson has returned to her hometown of Snowflake, VT. after her parents have been killed in an automobile accident. Her main priority is to decide what to do with her parents house and really foremost, what to do with family business, By The Spoonful. Her grandfather, Jack, spends his time helping out at the restaurant and who might be showing the onset of Alzheimer's.

The little soup shop has...more
Danna
Lucky moves back to her hometown, Snowflake, VT, after both her parents pass away in a horrific car accident. Her parents were the proud owners of By the Spoonful, a cozy kitsch soup and sandwich shop. Jack, her veteran grandfather, has been holding down the fort while Lucky debated whether or not to take over the family business. Her decision is made more difficult because her chef, Sage, has been arrested as the prime suspect for the murder of Patricia Honeywell, wealthy socialite and ski bum....more
Heather

Title: A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover’s Mystery #1)

Author: Connie Archer

Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group

Synopsis (from bn.com):

Winter is big business in small-town Snowflake, Vermont. Tourists arrive to hit the ski slopes—and what could be more satisfying after a chilly day of carving powder than a steaming bowl of soup? When Lucky Jamieson inherits her parents’ soup shop, By the Spoonful, she realizes it’s time to take stock of her life. Should she sell her parents’ house or move in hersel...more
Planchette
Lucky is forced to return to her hometown and take over her parent's soup shop. But business gets iffy when a tourist with a less than stellar connection to her cook turns up dead.

Any ambivalence Lucky feels for staying in this small town is overrided once she gets motivated to protect her friend, and the reputation of her parent's restaurant.

I loved this book. In a word, it was delightful. I read it in less than three days. The story pulled me through. Most of all, it was just what I was in th...more
Linda Langford
Lucky inherits her parents soup shop, By the Spoonful, after they are killed in a car accident. Her grandfather, Jack, still helps run the shop. They have a great soup chef, Sage, who makes the most unique and delicious homemade soups and sandwiches for their customers. When Sage is accused of killing wealthy Patricia Honeywell, a winter visitor at the local ski resort, he's arrested, and Lucky's left without a soup chef. The majority of her customers stop coming to the shop to eat. Fearing bank...more
Leya
Lucky comes back to her hometown to run her parents business after their sudden death. I have a soft spot for this type of character, I love the way they feel somewhat guilty that they didn't spend enough time with their loved ones while alive that they need to move back home and take over the family business. Yes, I'm a sap.... Ok, I'm not too bad. I loved the way she took care of her grandfather, she was concerned about the possibility that he has Alzheimer's. Plus taking care of a business, a...more
Kaye
Lucky Jamieson inherited her parent's soup shop in Snowflake, Vermont, and is running it while she decides what to do with the rest of her life. Does she sell her parent's house or move into it? Along with that goes lots of other questions. However, when her soup chef finds the body of a blonde in back of the cafe, the game plan radically changes. Then when he is arrested for her murder, Lucky goes into investigative mode.

Lucky and her friends all pull together to keep the soup shop open, and t...more
Katie
I am not sure why I liked this book so much. It surprised me how she would be able to solve the mystery given she was new to town and the first third of book she was either in the resturant or alone in her apartment. I liked the imperfect heroine. I liked her May-December quasy romance. I was motivated to make soup and sandwiches while reading and I didn't figure out who did it. It wasn't a great mystery but was a good story. I'll continue the series.
Emilia
I've read lots of cozies recently :) this one "caught" me from the very first lines and there was no dull moment. no stretchy descriptions etc. line up of suspects pretty convincing, kept me guessing to the end, there was a moment I thought the killer was the one that it actually was, but I thought, nah, can't be... ;)
very fast read! got to check for the next ones in the series (hope there are some???)
Jess
A charming little mystery and not bad for a first edition. I loved reading about the charming town of Snowflake, it really had me wanting to visit Vermont (although maybe in the summer time instead lol!). I also quickly fell in love with the the "By the Spoonful Soup Shop" and the cast of great characters surrounding the story. The book was a little slow in the beginning but I think that might be because it's a new series and the author took time to introduce you to the characters, but once the...more
Jen
I usually can't wait to get back to a book, but this one was tough to get through. It drug on quite a bit and the main character was a bit immature. She accused numerous men she came across of murder, only going off her imagination in some cases and not evidence or clues. I'll read the next one since I pushed through this one and now I know the characters. Hopefully it'll have a little more depth to it.
Text Addict
Sorry, book, but I'm leaving you for another. She also runs a restaurant, but more importantly, she's funny, in that wacky kind of way that I particularly like. You, alas, are not funny, you kind of annoyed me with the gloomy infodump and the quickfix of Lucky's friendship with whatshername, and, well, basically, I just don't think we're compatible. But you're not all that bad, really - I'm sure you'll find other readers who do love you!

Best of luck,

Text
Michele
Somehow, this mystery just fails to convince me of much. The idea of a soup shop seems far-fetched to begin with. Why the owner was so convinced the cook wasn't who dunnit totally didn't ring true at all. The victim wasn't likeable and the amateur sleuth's behavior was lame in the extreme. For me, the book didn't work at all.
Nola Arganbright
Yummy! A great read for Culinary mystery lovers. Sage, the talented chef for the Spoonful Soup Shop has been arrested for murder leaving Lucky and her Grandfather Jack to muddle through. This cozy mystery has great characters and a who done it puzzle that keeps the reader guessing. I hope others enjoy it as much as I did.
Rachel
This was a great cozy mystery by a new author for me and thought Ms. Archer did a fine job. I have already purchased the second book in the series so I can continue with the characters - she kept me in suspense until the very end and included some wonderful soup recipes too!
Nora-adrienne
Lucky Jamieson is not feeling too lucky in this first book of a very cute and enjoyable series. She had a life in Madison Wisconsin when her parents died in a tragic automobile accident. Inheriting their restaurant, and the care of her aging grandfather is taking a toll on her. Adding another layer of pain and anguish a dead body is found by the dumpster behind the kitchen by her chef, and the Chief of Police arrests him for the murder.

To save the restaurant and her sanity Lucky must put on her...more
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Iced Chiffon
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • A Chili Death (Classic Diner #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girl Mystery #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery #1)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
  • Hearse and Buggy (An Amish Mystery, #1)
Connie Archer is the national bestselling author of the soup lover’s mystery series from Berkley Prime Crime: A SPOONFUL OF MURDER, A BROTH OF BETRAYAL and A ROUX OF REVENGE. The fourth book in the series, LADLE TO THE GRAVE, will be released in April 2015.
Connie was born and raised in New England. She now lives on the other coast.
Visit her website at http://www.conniearchermysteries.com
www.Face...more
More about Connie Archer...
A Broth of Betrayal (Soup Lover's Mystery, #2) A Roux of Revenge (Soup Lover's Mystery #3) Ladle to the Grave (Soup Lover's Mystery #4) The Cozy Cookbook