Start by marking “Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World” as Want to Read:
Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World

Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Controversial and bestselling economist Dambisa Moyo tackles one of the most vital geopolitical stories of our time: China's aggressive global crusade to secure natural resources.
Published June 1st 2012 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Winner Take All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winner Take All

Book
Winner Take All: China's Race for Resources and What It Means for the World by Dambisa Moyo

"Winner Take All" is an even-handed assessment on China's race for resources and the implications this has for the rest of the world. The book's spotlight is on China's central role in the commodities dynamics. Best-selling author, international economist and a native of Zambia, Dr. Moyo has written a professional yet accessible book that tackles the following broad themes: economic implications of China's
Liz Murray
This is probably the first economics book I've read, but it goes far beyond simple economics. I saw Dambisa Moyo on The Daily Show and I remember thinking she was maybe a bit pro China. While in South Africa a couple of people I met mentioned the Chinese influence and they didn't speak highly of it however after reading this book I see it in greater perspective. China is helping build infrastructure in many parts of Africa, including hospitals, schools and roads. There will always be reservation ...more
Dan
I enjoyed Winner Take All as an economics primer where the commodities markets are concerned; there was much attention given to such things as speculation in the commodities markets, when and how governments should intervene and what such intervention does to commodity prices.

China almost seemed to be a secondary focus after the basic explanations of commodity markets, although such explanations to a layman such as myself were invaluable to understanding the overall thesis of the book.

Where I f
Andrew
One-Minute Review
Big bad China? In Winner Take All, Dambisa Moyo, who burst onto the literary-political scene with Dead Aid, suggests that China’s growing influence isn’t all bad. While recent books like Mark Steyn’s After America and Niall Ferguson’s Civilization exhibit concern about the West's declining economic and political clout, Moyo’s new book describes more nuanced global changes. China’s increasing consumption of and control over the world’s finite resources do drive up commodity costs
David Bruns
I saw the author interviewed on Bill Maher and decided to pick up the book before my next trip to China.

I'm glad I did. It helped to put snippets of news stories about China and expansionist plans in developing countries into real context. China has a plan - it's a long-range, comprehensive, global reaching quest for raw materials that will fuel the engine of their economy for decades to come. Theirs is not a mission to improve the global standard of living, but if a country needs a new port to
Max
Good book! Personally, I have loathed the European centrism towards Africa and the seemingly unbreakable aid-cycle and victimization. Very rarely do I read a book that shares this view, and DM's WTA is one of the few. She shows that China approaches African countries as trading partners, providing cash and infrastructure projects in exchange for their commodities. Not as helpless victims that need pity. I'm so happy to see Africans like DM have also opened their eyes.
However, this was not DM's m
Venky
Writing with a great sense of alacrity and an even greater adroitness, Dambisa Moyo lays down with immense precision, China's untrammelled, but inevitable rampage in resource ravage and the attendant consequences for the rest of the world.
Bailey Urban
I first saw Dr. Moyo at TCU last month. I am so glad I read this book. I was hesitant at first to read something that I feel like I could learn about in a WSJ article, but I learned a lot about the commodity depletion issue that will become more of a problem in the coming decades. China is smart and investing in countries, especially in Africa, that have these resources that they specifically will need as their population continues to grow. Meanwhile, the US cannot even solve our debt problems a ...more
Daniel Simmons
I will be the first to admit that books on economics are not my usual cup of tea. And the main thesis of this book -- that China's increasing dominance of commodities markets have potentially massive consequences for the global economy and the future of humanity's access to much-needed arable land, water, and energy -- was already familiar to me before I started in on chapter 1. But if I was already aware of the broad strokes of Moyo's argument, nevertheless I found this book chock full of eye-o ...more
Oliver
This was the second book I've read by Moyo, the first was Dead Aid and htis left me equally as impressed. She tackles another deeply interesting and relevant topic- China's entrepreneurial efforts in the world and what implications it will have.

I really thought her discussion of monopsony was really interesting, not only for the word itself, but for the concept. Could it really be possible that China is a singular buyer for key resources? Wouldn't market forces impede that? Unless China was able
Ndeye Sene
For the Full review, Visit: http://booksundertheneemtree.com/2013...

We have all heard strange stories about China’s presence in Africa. From
The major question here I think is: What is China exactly doing in Africa? What does it mean for us Africans? And for the world? Luckily, my favourite economist decides to write a book and answers these very important questions.
The Truth of the matter is that the reasons for China’s presence in Africa are far from obvious. There are a lot of contradictory re
Jonathan Lu
iOutstanding book that really does not tell much truly novel, but aggregates into a story of China that makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of behavioral economics; after living a while in Beijing, it is this book that really opened my eyes to the brilliance of the Chinese government's long term strategic plan that they are really in a singular position to execute as "china inc." in the global marketplace. Some of china's individual actions may seem sinister or illogical when taken out of c ...more
Graham Mulligan
Winner Take All, China’s Race for Resources and What It Means for the Rest of the World
Dambisa Moyo, Harper Collins, 2002

This book is about supply and demand. Commodities, specifically arable land, water, energy and minerals are in demand as the global population grows and gets wealthier. More people living in cities and with middle class expectations means increased demand for goods and services – everywhere. One of these commodities, the global supply of arable land, is not entirely available
Orion
This book's main thesis is that China has established control on the majority of the world's limited physical resources and that the rest of us will have to ultimately deal with the repercussions. The author demonstrates an amazing facility for pulling data from various sources to support her conclusions, and does it in a relatively simple manner for the popular audience to understand.
It took me a long time to finish reading this 225 page book because it is so depressing. For me some of the fin
Joe Chernicoff
Another book which should be read by our presidential candidates. As one who has had some undergrad and graduate work in agricultural economics, I readily appreciate her practical concern re: commodities, ad real-life look at economics, which, as Dr. Moyo succinctly informed a questioner during her presentation on BookTV, the class room is one look, but reality is what you need; too often, as I quickly realized while taking some graduate courses, there is often no relationship between what is re ...more
Stormy
Reading this book by International economist, Dambisa Moyo helped me to know more about the minerals in short supply, and China's awareness of their value & more about China's long term planning, as well as their efforts in Africa.
They are now doing what the U.S., U.K. and other European countries have done in the past. They have the finances and have set long term goals for the benefit of their country and seem to be helping other countries without setting the kinds of restrictions the U.S.
Colin Sloand
Poorly researched and massively oversimplified. Written by an economist with a very weak understanding of geopolitics and commodity markets. I'd be embarrassed to attach my name to this work as a professional economist.
Potty
This book shows you the fact the world will face a looming financial crisis in regard to "commodity." Now, China has strong power in it's resource strategy, especially in Africa. Dambisa Moyo used to be a worker of Goldman Sachs, then she can explain from fer experience what's going on within the commodities market, and forecast the future,or scenario in accordance with the recent trend. China's investment to resources in developing countries isn't limited around the mines. China is constructing ...more
Richard Duncan
Interesting and truly important, though Moyo has an academic's tendency to be sidelined by discussions of commodities and economics, seeming to lose track of the very real human and political consequences of China's rush to control the world's resources.
Stefan Fergus
Alternates between deeply flawed and highly readable and detailed. Uncritical of Beijing's propaganda, which leads to some disconnects between author's rhetoric and argument. Skepticism of Western media (not controlled by states) does not exist for Chinese media (almost totally under government control). But, very good contextual and theoretical sections. In other words, take actual stuff about China's global quest for resources with a pinch of salt (detailed examples to support her arguments ar ...more
Robert Chapman
This book does deliver that it promises. I gave it a low rating as I found it to be very dry, longer than it needed to be, and generally hard to stay engaged with.

It does a good job of describing in great detail how China is moving to protect it's future in terms of fuel, food, commodities, and resources. If a detailed breakdown including statistical charts is what you need, then this book will provide it, however, I did not find it to be a leisurely read for someone who has a passing interest i
Candy
This sounded like an extremely interesting book given my love of current events/politics/history. Found it extremely dry and boring. The author overwhelms you with so many statistics that unless you have a background in finance or economics you end up not really getting what she is trying to point out. Found myself reading pages over and over trying to make sense of it.
Kerry
Fascinating. I really enjoy the way this lady writes. So many lessons in here that we ignore at our peril. So much of what she predicts already coming true for Australia in the couple of years since the book ws written. Good to see an economist who bases her arguments on real world events rather than the fantasy economics of the neo-liberals. Excellent read.
Rick Austin
Fascinating read about the race for a scarce set of commodities and how impacting this will be sooner than we realize. Somber reflection on how ill prepared our country is compared to China. Whether you agree or not, China is preparing for their future while we continue to race to the edge of a potential cliff at full speed.
Sergio
This book could be much better if it was written in a simpler way. If you are not very familiar with economics you will get tired of so much jargon; in spite of that it has some very interesting facts regarding China´s interest in the world´s commodities.
Rohit
Too good book

It's scary to know how China has manipulated the world order , somewhat and is in buying spree for all resources ..
Well told , about the unequal allocation of minerals and greed of the world ..
Jeremiah Ross
Moyo gave an excellent, well researched, report on the current state of Chinese activities without fear-mongering or moralizing. Certainly one of the most enjoyable reads I have had of late.
David Cowhig
A well-balanced China in Africa book. Naturally China is following its own interests -- the new players on the block can by its presence gives African countries new opportunities for development.
Colleen
Kind of changed my perspective on China a bit to a more positive perspective. That surprised me. But I think her answers to ending hunger were rather flippant and un-researched.
  • Every Nation for Itself: Winners and Losers in a G-Zero World
  • China's Second Continent: How a Million Migrants Are Building a New Empire in Africa
  • The Dragon's Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa
  • Full Planet, Empty Plates: The New Geopolitics of Food Scarcity
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • The Coming Jobs War
  • City of Gold: Dubai and the Dream of Capitalism
  • Greedy Bastards
  • Economic Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy
  • Capitalism with Chinese Characteristics: Entrepreneurship and the State
  • The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World
  • When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order
  • The Tyranny of Experts: Economists, Dictators, and the Forgotten Rights of the Poor
  • The Benefit and The Burden: Tax Reform-Why We Need It and What It Will Take
  • What Does China Think?
  • False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism
  • Identity Economics: How Our Identities Shape Our Work, Wages, and Well-Being
  • Paper Promises: Debt, Money, and the New World Order

Dr. Dambisa Moyo is an international economist who writes on the macroeconomy and global affairs.

She is the author of the New York Times Bestsellers "Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa", "How The West Was Lost: Fifty Years of Economic Folly And the Stark Choices Ahead" and "Winner Take All: China s Race for Resources and What It Means for the World".

Ms. Moyo

More about Dambisa Moyo...
Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa How the West Was Lost: Fifty Years of Economic Folly--and the Stark Choices Ahead