Start by marking “Your Church Is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside-Down” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Your Church Is Too Saf...

Mark Buchanan

Your Church Is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside-Down

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Drawing insights from his study of the book of Acts, Buchanan challenges churches to 'turn the world upside-down'---to be both good news and bad news, an aroma and a stench -- a disruptive force to whoever or whatever opposes the Kingdom of God, and a healing and liberating power to those who seek it.
Published March 1st 2012 by Zondervan (first published February 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Your Church Is Too Safe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Church Is Too Safe

Josh Miller
The first book I read from Mark Buchanan was entitled "Your God Is Too Safe." That book blew me away and was one of my top books that I read in 2013. When I found out he had penned a similar book about the church, I had to get it. I was not disappointed in the least.

Buchanan sets the stage in his introduction by stating, "When did we start making it our priority to be safe instead of dangerous, nice instead of holy, cautious instead of bold, self-absorbed instead of counting everything loss in o
Your Church is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside Down, by Canadian author Mark Buchanan is a call to churches everywhere to return to their roots - I think. I read this on a Kindle and it was so badly formatted that at times I found it very hard to follow. Pages and pages of blank space were followed by sentences that started in the middle. So my first word of advice - DO NOT BUY THIS ON A KINDLE!!!

Now, on to my review...

I love Mark Buchanan's writing and have been a fan for
Gregory Soderberg
Mark Buchanan is fast becoming one of my favorite Christian authors. His book, Spiritual Rhythm, was spiritual and pastoral prose of the highest order. Buchanan is clearly a gifted writer--honest, God-soaked and reveling in life, even in the dirt and filth of humanity. But, Mark Buchanan knows a secret and he's letting everyone know it--the local Church is God's plan for redeeming this dirty world. This is the burden of his latest book, Your Church Is Too Safe. He urges us to come out of "Christ ...more
Harold Cameron
"Why Following Christ Turns The World Upside Down"

"Your Church is Too Safe is a biblical reflection and roadmap to making the earthly church more like the heavenly Kingdom it is called to represent. Part celebration and part manifesto, this pull-no-punches book by veteran pastor Mark Buchanan is a plea for churches to return to their roots: to be both good news and bad news, an aroma and a stench ... a disruptive force to whoever or whatever opposes the Kingdom of God." (From the Zondervan Publi
John Collier
How Mark Buchanan has written six books before Your Church Is too Safe (2012, Zondervan) and I have not read any of them is a mystery to me. Buchanan is a Pastor (New Life Community Baptist Church, Duncan, British Columbia, Canada) first—and that fact shines through. These are not the words of an academic in an ivory tower; they are the heart-cry of a shepherd of God’s flock.

Buchanan has one purpose for this book: He wants the church to reflect the Kingdom. He simply wants Christians to be Chris
Ryssmiles
Buchanan starts off with a question. "When did we start making it our priority to be safe instead of dangerous, nice instead of holy, cautious instead of bold, self-absorbed instead of counting everything loss to be found in Christ?"

I learned much from this book. In this work Buchanan addresses topics of self-absorption, prayer, the Triune relationship, extravagant love, naming and overcoming evil, intimacy with God, disciples verses believers, Biblical hospitality, in-between places and vision.
Gail Welborn
Your church is too safe, by Mark Buchanan, Zondervan Publishers, 2012, 240 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-0310331230, $18.99

“When did we [as a church]…make it a priority to be safe instead of dangerous…nice instead of holy… cautious instead of bold…self-absorbed…” instead of loving and Christ centered? Asks Pastor Mark Buchanan in the introduction to Your Church is too Safe.

If the love in your church doesn’t draw the world to your church, “it’s irrelevant,” he says. Because “…love is the music of heaven…a
David
I came into possession of this book as a church I infrequently attend decided to do a series of sermons based on its content. I assumed that this book would attempt to overturn some of the concepts which I see as crippling to the contemporary church: the "frozen chosen," Christians who condemn others while condoning "popular" sins, people who "believe but don't act," or simply seem to be swindled by the success of America, twisting Christianity to fit "the American dream," something which I beli ...more
Michelle Bodle
Some chapters were a miss but overall a great cry for the church to both become a safe place of welcome and not so safe for those who are members.
Jason Stonehouse

A very well written, couldn't put it down book on the church and what it could be. I loved this book! As a pastor who reads a lot of books on the subject I'd say this is one of the best in the last few years!!
John Palandri
Another excellent book and well worth reading to try and get a better perspective on how the Church can be more relevant to the world. Not perfect by any means but very very challenging.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Joshua Woodward
Joshua Woodward is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Nick Debrey
Nick Debrey is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Jared Brock
Jared Brock marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Magda David
Magda David marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Mark Kennicott
Mark Kennicott marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Nov 25, 2014
Megan H
Megan H marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Aj Olson
Aj Olson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Matthew Miller
Matthew Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Starla Gooch
Starla Gooch marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mark Buchanan lives in Calgary, Alberta, with his wife, Cheryl. They have three young adult children, Adam, Sarah, and Nicola. He was a longtime pastor, an author of many books, and now serves as a professor at Ambrose University College in Calgary.
More about Mark Buchanan...
The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath Your God is Too Safe Spiritual Rhythm: Being with Jesus Every Season of Your Soul The Holy Wild: Trusting in the Character of God Things Unseen: Living in Light of Forever

“Forgiven people "prove" they're forgiven by walking in newness of life. They walk in the light, walk by faith, walk by the Spirit. Forgiveness sets us in motion. It acts upon us to make us act. It gets us up and gets us going. It does not indulge one more minute of lying around waiting for things to happen, waiting for others to do something, blaming others for the way I am. "Get up, take your mat, and go home." This getting up, taking our mat - once the symbol of our inability to move at all - and going home in full view of everyone is what every forgiven man and woman is supposed to do every day. When we're new creations, we act like it.” 1 likes