Start by marking “Your Church Is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside-Down” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Your Church Is Too Saf...

Mark Buchanan

Your Church Is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside-Down

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Drawing insights from his study of the book of Acts, Buchanan challenges churches to 'turn the world upside-down'---to be both good news and bad news, an aroma and a stench -- a disruptive force to whoever or whatever opposes the Kingdom of God, and a healing and liberating power to those who seek it.
Published March 1st 2012 by Zondervan (first published February 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Your Church Is Too Safe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Church Is Too Safe

Josh Miller
Feb 28, 2014 Josh Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read from Mark Buchanan was entitled "Your God Is Too Safe." That book blew me away and was one of my top books that I read in 2013. When I found out he had penned a similar book about the church, I had to get it. I was not disappointed in the least.

Buchanan sets the stage in his introduction by stating, "When did we start making it our priority to be safe instead of dangerous, nice instead of holy, cautious instead of bold, self-absorbed instead of counting everything loss in o
Susan Barnes
Mark Buchanan is one of my favourite authors, however I initially struggled to connect with Your Church is too Safe until chapter eight. On reflection this was probably because I read a lot of books about churches and up until this point Buchanan was setting a scene I know well. However from this point on the book came alive for me and I found it fresh and engaging. Buchanan shared some changes they made at his own church as well as insights from Biblical texts.

Buchanan's fictitious description
Aug 22, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your Church is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside Down, by Canadian author Mark Buchanan is a call to churches everywhere to return to their roots - I think. I read this on a Kindle and it was so badly formatted that at times I found it very hard to follow. Pages and pages of blank space were followed by sentences that started in the middle. So my first word of advice - DO NOT BUY THIS ON A KINDLE!!!

Now, on to my review...

I love Mark Buchanan's writing and have been a fan for
Gregory Soderberg
Mark Buchanan is fast becoming one of my favorite Christian authors. His book, Spiritual Rhythm, was spiritual and pastoral prose of the highest order. Buchanan is clearly a gifted writer--honest, God-soaked and reveling in life, even in the dirt and filth of humanity. But, Mark Buchanan knows a secret and he's letting everyone know it--the local Church is God's plan for redeeming this dirty world. This is the burden of his latest book, Your Church Is Too Safe. He urges us to come out of "Christ ...more
Harold Cameron
Dec 27, 2012 Harold Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Why Following Christ Turns The World Upside Down"

"Your Church is Too Safe is a biblical reflection and roadmap to making the earthly church more like the heavenly Kingdom it is called to represent. Part celebration and part manifesto, this pull-no-punches book by veteran pastor Mark Buchanan is a plea for churches to return to their roots: to be both good news and bad news, an aroma and a stench ... a disruptive force to whoever or whatever opposes the Kingdom of God." (From the Zondervan Publi
John Collier
Sep 19, 2012 John Collier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Mark Buchanan has written six books before Your Church Is too Safe (2012, Zondervan) and I have not read any of them is a mystery to me. Buchanan is a Pastor (New Life Community Baptist Church, Duncan, British Columbia, Canada) first—and that fact shines through. These are not the words of an academic in an ivory tower; they are the heart-cry of a shepherd of God’s flock.

Buchanan has one purpose for this book: He wants the church to reflect the Kingdom. He simply wants Christians to be Chris
Rachelle Sperling
Feb 13, 2016 Rachelle Sperling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buchanan starts off with a question. "When did we start making it our priority to be safe instead of dangerous, nice instead of holy, cautious instead of bold, self-absorbed instead of counting everything loss to be found in Christ?"

I learned much from this book. In this work Buchanan addresses topics of self-absorption, prayer, the Triune relationship, extravagant love, naming and overcoming evil, intimacy with God, disciples verses believers, Biblical hospitality, in-between places and vision.
Gail Welborn
Apr 20, 2012 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Your church is too safe, by Mark Buchanan, Zondervan Publishers, 2012, 240 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-0310331230, $18.99

“When did we [as a church]…make it a priority to be safe instead of dangerous…nice instead of holy… cautious instead of bold…self-absorbed…” instead of loving and Christ centered? Asks Pastor Mark Buchanan in the introduction to Your Church is too Safe.

If the love in your church doesn’t draw the world to your church, “it’s irrelevant,” he says. Because “…love is the music of heaven…a
David
Jan 23, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I came into possession of this book as a church I infrequently attend decided to do a series of sermons based on its content. I assumed that this book would attempt to overturn some of the concepts which I see as crippling to the contemporary church: the "frozen chosen," Christians who condemn others while condoning "popular" sins, people who "believe but don't act," or simply seem to be swindled by the success of America, twisting Christianity to fit "the American dream," something which I beli ...more
Brent MacDonald
Buchanan seldom disappoints. As is the case with each of his books, the ideas he presents are more crafted than written, causing the reader to look at what he's saying rather than just listen to it. His discussion on "In-between" places is most valuable here.
Michelle Bodle
Some chapters were a miss but overall a great cry for the church to both become a safe place of welcome and not so safe for those who are members.
Jason Stonehouse
May 27, 2012 Jason Stonehouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very well written, couldn't put it down book on the church and what it could be. I loved this book! As a pastor who reads a lot of books on the subject I'd say this is one of the best in the last few years!!
John Palandri
Aug 20, 2013 John Palandri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book and well worth reading to try and get a better perspective on how the Church can be more relevant to the world. Not perfect by any means but very very challenging.
Charity Lovelace
Charity Lovelace rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Jeanenne McCloskey
Jeanenne McCloskey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Janet Hetrick
Janet Hetrick marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Euan
Euan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Emily Charter
Emily Charter marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Donna Walker
Donna Walker rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Elisa F.
Elisa F. marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jonathan Storment
Jonathan Storment rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Don Hunter
Don Hunter marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Geoff Gobbett
Geoff Gobbett marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Letters To A Future Church
  • The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now
  • Everyday Church: Gospel Communities on Mission
  • The Fidelity of Betrayal: Towards a Church Beyond Belief
  • Why Not Women?: A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership
  • Why Men Hate Going to Church
  • The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus
  • Jim & Casper Go to Church: Frank Conversation about Faith, Churches, and Well-Meaning Christians
  • Creation or Evolution?: Do We Have to Choose?
  • Jazz Notes: Improvisations on Blue Like Jazz
  • The Love Wins Companion: A Study Guide for Those Who Want to Go Deeper
  • The Power of Vision
  • Messy: God Likes It That Way
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • The Grand Paradox: The Messiness of Life, the Mystery of God and the Necessity of Faith
  • The Best Kept Secret of Christian Mission: Promoting the Gospel with More Than Our Lips
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • The Coffeehouse Gospel: Sharing Your Faith Through Everday Conversation
Mark Buchanan lives in Calgary, Alberta, with his wife, Cheryl. They have three young adult children, Adam, Sarah, and Nicola. He was a longtime pastor, an author of many books, and now serves as a professor at Ambrose University College in Calgary.
More about Mark Buchanan...

“Forgiven people "prove" they're forgiven by walking in newness of life. They walk in the light, walk by faith, walk by the Spirit. Forgiveness sets us in motion. It acts upon us to make us act. It gets us up and gets us going. It does not indulge one more minute of lying around waiting for things to happen, waiting for others to do something, blaming others for the way I am. "Get up, take your mat, and go home." This getting up, taking our mat - once the symbol of our inability to move at all - and going home in full view of everyone is what every forgiven man and woman is supposed to do every day. When we're new creations, we act like it.” 1 likes