Blank-133x176
Spirit Rising: Tapping...

Jim Cymbala

Spirit Rising: Tapping Into the Power of the Holy Spirit

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Award-winning author and Brooklyn Tabernacle pastor Jim Cymbala combines biblical insights about the work of the Spirit with powerful stories of how the Spirit is moving today in order to help readers experience more of the Spirit's power and presence in their lives.
Published March 6th 2012 by Zondervan (first published February 21st 2012)

Jeremy Garber
Jim Cymbala, pastor of the successful Brooklyn Tabernacle, issues a call to revivify the actual working power of the Holy Spirit in the contemporary Christian church. Cymbala (aided by his co-writer Jennifer Schuchmann) intersperses personal reflections with the stories of people from his congregation who have been affected in tangible ways by the power of prayer and spiritual intervention. Cymbala argues for an understanding of the Holy Spirit that makes literal change in the world and empowers...more
Trevor Lund
Thoughts…I need God, not church. How can I give the Spirit pre-eminence in the church? It’s not about talk, it’s about power. I cried a lot reading this book. Reading about ordinary people doing supernatural things so naturally…it’s what my heart longs for. How do I gently lead this Spirit? I guess I need to live it and you’ll show me :)
Sandra
"Every Sunday millions of people sit bored in church services." And this is just the Forward!

I have read two books this summer that say basically the same thing in different ways and from different perspectives. The first was "Pagan Christianity?" and this is the second.

They both address the subject of boring church services and how many of us have been lulled into thinking that because this is what we're used to, we should continue down the same path.

Since Jim Cymbala pastors a very large churc...more
Bree
Notes:
Pastor Cymbala came to our area with a Franklin Graham crusade and I wanted to know more about his beliefs so I read this book. Since the Holy Spirit isn't missing from my church this book seemed rather like common knowledge but I can see how it could help a lot of dead religions. The Francis Chan intro was my clue that it would be a watered-down universally accepted message and it was -- he does not support speaking in tongues, but says that the Holy Spirit is simply 'power.'

I do agree th...more
Edith
"But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." Acts 1:8.

When the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were fill...more
Pat W. Kirk

Spirit Rising talks about the Holy Spirit and the work of the third person of the trinity. “The Holy Spirit is God’s agent on earth” author, Jim Cymbala says. He: “chooses people for ministry assignments;” “searches out the deep things of God to make them known to believers;” “makes Christ a living reality to the believer;” is “coequal with both the Father and Son.” We can struggle to be like Jesus but unless we give our lives to the Holy Spirit, everything spiritual will remain a struggle.

The...more
IrenesChristianReviews
The Holy Spirit is not talked, preached or even written about very often. This book is a great addition to the subject. Have you experienced the Holy Spirit? Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit highlights some great times where the Spirit has moved Christians to do things not totally knowing why but the results were amazing. Have you felt the need to pray for a certain person or situation and not found peace until you did? The author, Jim Cymbala, says this is the moving of...more
Josh Mccoy
I must disclose the fact that I am an avid Jim Cymbala lover. His first book Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire is one of the few books that I would say changed the course of my life. This is important to know ahead of my review.

In Spirit Rising, Cymbala addresses the issue of the lack of the Holy Spirit in many believer's lives and in our churches today. He begins his book with an amazing story of how the spirit moved Him to begin praying for the believers in a remote village in Pakistan. Although he was p...more
Eric Wright
Sated and rather disappointed by a video series of Cymbala used by our church's small group ministry, I put off reading this book for weeks. I don't like the sub-title. It struck me as turning what should be Spirit-centred into how we can find power for ourselves. Then one Sunday, I sat down and read it almost through. I came away with a new appreciation for Cymbala and our need of the Holy Spirit. I'm often put off by the books and videos put out by famous and highly promoted preachers. So I'm...more
Pathway Midland
"The answer to your spiritual dryness comes from embracing the Holy Spirit's work more fully. The best intentioned Christian will miss out on God's power without the Holy Spirit. The most devout pastor will miss out on new life for the church without the Holy Spirit. The biggest church, with the best worship team and the strongest congregation, will miss out on God's purposes without the Holy Spirit." (From the front cover)
Spirit Rising is an amazing book that discusses the Holy Spirit. It is wr...more
Frank Peters
This is another excellent book by Jim Cymbala, along the line of his book: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire. I absolutely love the way Cymbala wants all glory to go to God, and makes it clear that all the power, love, hope and direction that we desire and need comes from God. In this particular book, Cymbala focused on the Holy Spirit and His role in His church and in His children. As with all Cymbala books, we are encouraged to desire God to be in total control, and to devote more of our time and effort...more
Wakenia
Awesome read and I will be reading it again. The third person of the Holy Spirit is so under utilized in the lives of so many believers but so readily available to lead and guide in every area of our lives. I've come to call upon Him more now since reading this book.
Courtney
Upon seeing this book on the list of choices for girls' group, it was my least favorite. After reading it, boy am I glad we picked it. Cymbala is the pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle, a church where the Holy Spirit just flows through the congregation. Who better to examen the work of the Holy Spirit than Mr. Cymbala? This book really helped me to better understand the Holy Spirit and his role in the Trinity. Full of biblical examples as well as powerful testimonies, this book can be kept on the...more
Wendy C
I believe he has the pulse of what is missing much in the modern church. I once sat in the scoffer's seat of the HOly Spirit's ministry until I engaged with the Holy Spirit. This is one of the better and balanced books about the Holy Spirit I have read. I agree with the author's comment, that we have so "staged" church whether contemporary seeker or traditional liturgical that there is little room for the Holy Spirit. Great read.
Jade
I gave the book five stars not because of the sophistication of writing, although it does flow elegantly, but because the writing itself is spirit-filled, and the stories are packed with real struggles and the ultimate triumph and glory of God. It grips your heart as you read and immerse in the Spirit. The book draws me near God and helps me feel His presence. Anyone who seeks to enrich their spiritual life should read this book.
Mathias Seiwert
This extremely informative yet easy-to-read book is helping me to get to know the Holy Spirit better. Though at first I started reading this book as a way to “harness” the Holy Spirit’s power (as if He were a horse that I am supposed to “use” and “tame”), I am finishing the book with much more humility as I treat the Holy Spirit as a Person to be known not a tool to be used.
Rich
Awesome book... I very much enjoyed this and it really woke me up to our lack of corporate prayer and my low expectation of the Holy Spirit's power. I may have believed it, but never expected it. I ended up reading this book twice in a row and will probably read it again soon (too many good books to read).
Milton Moon Louie
It is about the Holy Spirit. The third person of the Trinity. Little talked about and less aware of. The author tells us that the Holy Spirit is the quiet but most important person in our lives today. B+
Cathy H.
Excellent challenge to ask the Holy Spirit's help and guidance in daily living and especially prayer. Good start to prayer week!
Cynthia
I enjoyed the testimonies in this book. Really nothing different than all the other books about the Holy Spirit.
Dave
Almost done with this book...simply amazing. The Holy Spirit is so neglected...especially in Baptist circles.
Christy Bloom
Great book. Love all of Jim Cymbala's books. Especially love the "real-life" stories that he includes.
Heather Lundwall
Great book! I especially appreciated the real life conversion stories. So powerful and encouraging:)
Taryn
Jul 27, 2012 Taryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians seeking a more powerful relationship with God
Recommended to Taryn by: My Pastor
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I very much enjoyed all the personal stories and the unique frank descriptions of how the Holy Spirit works.
Carol
The best chapters were the stories of real people just living out their faith.
Stefanie Carner
Stefanie Carner is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God Breakthrough Prayer: The Secret of Receiving What You Need from God The Life God Blesses: The Secret of Enjoying God's Favor