Start by marking “Praying Circles Around Your Children” as Want to Read:
Praying Circles Around...

Mark Batterson

Praying Circles Around Your Children

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  747 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Based on his New York Times bestseller, The Circle Maker, Mark Batterson shows ordinary parents how to become extraordinary influencers in the lives of their children through prayer in Praying Circles around Your Children. You'll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent!
Published July 24th 2012 by Zondervan (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Praying Circles Around Your Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Circles Around Your Children

Robert Martin
I appreciate the concept of this book, that parents need to intentionally enter into a life of prayer for their children, to cover their lives with that prayer and "circle" them. So, to that extent, this is a good book to remind us as that.

However, the presentation of the concept, while peppered with "You need to make sure you're praying God's will, not your will" admonitions, still came across strongly as "If you pray for it, it will happen". The stories and examples told came across as a matte
Mandy J. Hoffman
THE OVERVIEW:

Praying Circles Around Your Kids is a short book that takes the principles of his previous book - The Circle Maker - and applies them to praying for your children. Batterson combines his personal thoughts with Scripture along with tips to apply what you learn as you read. The main point of this book is praying for your children, but this book could also be read by grandparents and others involved in the lives of children.

THE READABILITY:

As I already mentioned, this is a short book -
Steven R. McEvoy
It has been a long time since I have read a book so immediately applicable, a book that literally drove me to my knees. It is a book that instilled a greater desire and conviction of the need for prayer and ways to pray specifically. But this book is much more than just a guide book. It is amazing that a book of just over 100 pages can have so much power and an incredibly lasting impact. This book was so powerful I did not trust myself to write a review at first; I waited until after a second re ...more
Jerrod Carter
Many of the most important things in life take a lifetime to master, and many of those take only a moment to explain. Even relatively unimportant things, like golf, fall into that category. (Yeah, I know a lot of you may disagree on the importance of golf).

Prayer is definitely one of those things. Mark does a great job here of giving practical ideas of how to pray for our kids--our own biological children, and the children of the community around us. If you're interested in becoming better at in
Rhonda
Great, and important, reminder to always 'pray circles around', or pray without ceasing, for your children. I do this daily, actually at least twice a day.

Favorite Quotes:

Just as one decision can change your destiny, so can one prayer. If you were to map out your spiritual history, you would find countless answers to prayer at key intersections along the way. Before you were even born, even named, many of your had parents and grandparents who prayed for you. I believe that every blessing, every
Nicole Long
Maybe it was just the day I read it or the parenting challenges I am currently facing, but this book spoke to me. It was practical and provided answers to questions I didn't know I had. It brought clarity and gave me comfort.
Stephanie
I was with him until he said one of his most important prayers was that his son would like girls. Yet early in the book he claims we shouldn't pray for our children to be what we want them to be. I hope his son hasn't read this book. Batterson does not really seem to know what he wants to say here. I'll keep looking. If anything, it taught me some ways not to pray for my children.
Jeff
As a parent, praying for your kids is one of the most, if not the most important thing you can do.

Mark's book inspired me to keep circling in these very important, formative years in the life of Jesse and Cole.

Here are some take-aways:

* Make sure your Heavenly Father hears about your kids daily.
* You'll never be a perfect parent. But you can be a praying parent.
* Your prayers must be in the will of God and for the glory of God.
* Your worst mistakes double as your greatest opportunities.
* Psalm
Angel Roman
Originally posted in angelroman

There's something I have to confess, I don't have children, but still enjoyed the reading. You don't have to be a parent, or to be married to be interested about prayer. And this is exactly the impression I felt after few pages.

The booklet starts with an introduction about the importance of prayer, and the effects it can produce in your life and in your family. Quoting the last lines of this chapter:

Your prayers for your children are the greatest legacy you can lea
Crystal Scott
I want to begin by saying that this little book will change the way you pray for your children. Mark Batterson says, “You’ll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent!” Praying Circles around your Children will help you understand how important it is to pray for children out loud. Pray where they can hear you and you will be truly amazed at how well they will remember the prayers and the Bible verses you say during your prayers.

The five prayer circles, Circling the Promises of G
Wendy Sparkes
I came across the titles of Mark Batterson’s Circle series among the one of the lovely groups I belong to on Goodreads. Several of the group were recommending it highly, saying how it had helped their prayer life. So, when Praying Circles around Your Children became free on Kindle, I decided to download it. Not because I have children of my own (I don’t) but I figured that although the emphasis would be about praying for your children, the basic principles would be there that I could adapt for m ...more
Keiki Hendrix
A short read, but a good exhortation of the importance of prayer. The focus is more on the form or structure your prayers take. It's based on the LEGEND of Honi who prayed circles for rain.

After identifying the form to shape your prayers around (the legend of Honi), the author moves on to define types of circles to create in your prayer life. Using personal stories both from his own family and his friends, Mark Batterson lists the types of prayers for your children and why these are important.

Gr
Angie  Moore
While I understand the thought behind this book I was looking more for a 'how to' so to speak... However, the author made so many references to his previous book that this really should have not been a stand alone book but added onto his first book. Apparently you need to read that first.
Emily Ventura
The book, in my opinion, is biblically sound. The author explains five topical ways we can pray for our children (he calls each of these "circles"). These circles include:
1. Praying the promises of God
2. Making a prayer list
3. Creating a Prayer Mantra (basically a chosen verse for your child)
4. Praying in circles, (kind of making your family your prayer partner)
5. Praying through the bible
This is a great list and a wonderful way to pray for your children and grandchildren.

Here's what I didn't li
Loraine
This was a very insightful read. Wish I had read it when my son was small, but found much that will be helpful in praying for my grandson. Full of good ideas and nuggets of wisdom. I have already recommended this book to several young moms I know. Every parent should read this book.
Amydeanne
This book gave me a lot of encouragement to get back to praying for my children and more importantly with my children. Mark has some great ideas on how to build up your prayer life- I will read again and again as a reminder of my job as a parent!
Marci Anthony
this is a must read as a parent. I wish that I had read it when my kids were young but its never too late to start. My mom just read it and is praying for her grandchildren.
Khamneithang Vaiphei
Raising children is easier said than done. And being a parent is no less easy. Mark Batterson bluntly writes, "You'll never be a perfect parent," yet he exhorts, "...but you can be a praying parent."

Mark Batterson, the lead pastor of one of America's most innovative churches authors an equally innovative little book Praying Circles Around Your Children, published by Zondervan, which is ostensibly an offshoot of his earlier New York Times bestseller The Circle Maker.

Praying Circles Around Your Ch
Spencer Cummins
Mark Batterson, author of The Circle Maker and pastor of National Community Church in Washington D.C. has written a timely and insightful on prayer and your children called Praying Circles around Your Children. Batterson in the opening chapter spells out for parents in practical ways some basic truths: one, you will make a lot of mistakes and second, “your worst mistakes double as your greatest opportunities” (10-11). Batterson goes onto state that “every blessing, every breakthrough, every mira ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
Betsy
This book really opened my eyes to how easy it is to pray circles around my girls. It offered different ways to not only uplift them in prayer but also their friends, classmates, future partners. I didn't expect this book to be like it was. I guess I was expecting more of a how to. This gave me more of why I should pray circles around my children. I know it is important to do so, they are the future of our world, and they are entrusted to me while on this planet. This book made me see that I not ...more
Stephanie Sheaffer
A breezy read, "Praying Circles Around Your Children" is a mere 103 pages. The book itself is pocket-sized and I easily read the whole thing cover-to-cover in about an hour in one evening (maybe less?).

Good refreshers; lots of ideas for possible implementation by different families.

I was reminded anew to pray specifically, pray daily, pray fervently, pray with, and pray for my children.
Becky Giovagnoni
This is an average book. It's a quick read ... I read the entire thing in a morning before my kids got up. But I gave it four stars because I found it very motivational. I struggle with prayer in general, but know praying for my kids is important. This book moved me to start doing several things that will help me pray for my kids. That aline is the reason for the rating.
Tracy
Grab a highlighter, some index cards, and a cup of coffee. God is going to move some mountains! It's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

"You don't become praying parents by default. You do it by design, by desire, by discipline. Spiritual disciplines take sheer determination, but if you determine to circle your children in prayer, you will shape their destinies. Your prayers will live on in their lives long after you die." pg 18
Can I share one more? "You need a vision for your children. With your physical eyes yo
Kate
This book falls somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me...there were some excellent truths and ideas relating to praying for our kids...but there were some theological things that I couldn't quite line myself up with...so 3 stars with a hearty recommendation to those able to read a book in a discerning manner.
Becky Acheson
Going to start praying for my kids today!!!

Not that I haven't already prayed for them already but this book gives you a new calling to praying for your kids. With many practical ways to praying for them and many scriptures to back up God's promises. I love this book!
Angie
Great, simple read on how to pray into your children's destinies now and in the future. Author gives some practical tips alongside his anecdotes about what he and his wife for their kids. A book I will read again once the baby comes so that I can put these habits into practice!
Amy
There were lots of great take-aways...practical take-aways from this book. (and it was a very short read too so no excuses for not finishing it!) Don't forget to grab your high lighter too because you'll want to remember some of the concepts and ideas you read. "You don't have to do everything right as a parent, but there is one thing you cannot afford to get wrong. That one thing is prayer...Prayer is your highest privilege as a parent. There's nothing you can do that will have a higher return ...more
Michelle Tapec
Nice supplement to the original

Read the Circle Maker first. This is a good supplement that specifically focuses on your children. I am not sure it would work as well as a stand alone though. The Circle Maker is a. incredible full length book that changed my whole perspective on prayer. I would also recommend getting the print version of the children's book, the story is terrific and the art work is amazing.

Marla
I read the book when it was offered as a free ebook. I had never heard of Mark Batterson but I now plan on reading every one of his books. We plan on giving some of his books as Christmas presents to our family and friends this year.
Christian Fiction...: * January - Praying Circles Around Your Children 23 95 Jan 26, 2013 08:55AM
Christian Books: Praying Circles Around Your Children 1 10 Jan 15, 2013 09:54PM
  • Desires of My Heart - Meditation on Psalm 37:4
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • The Four Seasons of Marriage
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • God Can't Sleep: Waiting for Daylight On Life's Dark Nights
  • PrayerWalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength, and Discipline
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Kingdom Journeys: Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline
  • Heaven for Kids
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
Mark Batterson serves as lead pastor of National Community Church (www.theaterchurch.com) in Washington, DC. One church with seven locations. NCC is focused on reaching emerging generations and meets in theaters throughout the DC metro area. NCC also owns and operates the largest coffeehouse on Capitol Hill. Mark holds a Doctor of Ministry degree from Regent University and is the New York Times be ...more
More about Mark Batterson...
The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge All in: You Are One Decision Away from a Totally Different Life

“All of us need Aarons and Hurs in our lives. We need people who are strong when we’re weak. We need people who are full of faith when we’re running on empty. We need people who will fight for us on their knees. We all need a prayer circle!” 1 likes
“100 percent of the prayers I don’t pray won’t get answered.” 1 likes