Hunters of Gor (Gor, #8)

Hunters of Gor (Gor #8)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Tarl Cabot ventures into the wilderness of Gor, pitting his skill against brutal outlaws and sly warriors.
Published March 1st 1998 by Masquerade Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Hunters of Gor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunters of Gor

Kate
The worst of the Gor books so far. The story was turgid, the only highlight being that Tarl Cabot is seriously injured at the end of the book. He totally deserved it the arrogant arsehole.
E.D. Martin
Nathan
I'd read that the Gor books have a steady decline from fantasy tinged with a bit of kink to full blown misogyny tinged with some fantasy. And here is evidence that this is true. Probably about 100 pages of fantasy adventure with pirates and amazons and the rest repetitive, oft-disturbing slave/rape fantasy. In earlier books you could pretend that women were valued (in a way) on Gor. But no longer. Treated like animals is a fair comment. Approaching vile status. Rated MA for torture, sex scenes,...more
Alexander Katrompas
Hunters of Gor is good but not great. Unlike its immediate predecessor its a decent installment to the Gor series. The writing quality and complexity of this book is somewhere between the first and second book, which is not a bad thing after Captive of Gor. Unfortunately like its predecessor, the story telling of Hunters is a little thin. If Captive of Gor could have been one chapter in a good Gor book, then Hunters could be three. The story of Hunters starts at the end of Captive when Bosk (Tar...more
Shane
Ah, so then, #8 - Hunters of Gor. How on earth did I ever get to book number 8 without going entirely nuts? Anyway, this one sees bosk of Port Kar(as Tarl Cabot calls himself these days) going into the Northern forests to hunt for and supposedly rescue Talena who has been taken as a slave by the Panther girls. On the way he encounters one of his seemingly numerous past ladyfriends, now living out her life as a paga slave in a tavern. She turns out to be Elizabeth Caldwell, someone whom he was qu...more
AmbushPredator
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man of Port Kar in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a Free Companion.”

And so Tarl Cabot, hearing that his old flame is held captive by panther girls, resolves to find and free her and wed her. For political power, of course. The old romantic...

And so we are off to 'the Northern forests', a sort of temperate jungle that seems not to fit with any of the other thinly-disguised Earth regions Norman often uses. Hi-jinks, hilarity...more
Rick
I remember liking the Gor series well enough in junior high and high school when I read them but I don't think I would enjoy them as much 25+ years later so I will recuse myself from rating any in the series.
Darth
This might have been the best Gor book to date. Tarl Cabot / Bosk of Port Kar gains more depth of character, more experience, and though he spends all book coming off like Jack Know-it-all, in the end he finds out he could have saved himself a lot of time and trouble if he had just listened to his friends who know better - but I get it, it IS hard when you think you know better than everyone else... I share his weakness.
Christopher Walls
I read this whole series in a marathon session, while stationed in England. The depth and volume of the stories is humbling for any writer and I consider this series very influential in my own approach to writing and world building in general; generic post for all the books in this series as I am finally getting around to recording my reading list in Goodreads.
Charles
Following "Captive" with this one nearly killed the series for me. At least it had Tarl Cabot and there was some adventure, but again the focus was on female slavery, although not quite as much as in Captive. I did think this book had more purpose than Captive, at least.

It was pretty sexist.
Butterflykatana
Having read Hunters of Gor the 8th book. It's showing signs of page count boosting, with repeat paragraphs or sentences showing up. One or two paragraphs or sentences later. So it could have been four or six pages smaller. With repeat paragraphs or sentences showing up.
Keith
Ah yes, the first of the Daw editions where we get two parpagraphs of story and ten pages of philosophy.
If I remember right Tarl loses all three of the women in his life. That is not very good for a hero.
Scotia
not as much action as the last book lots of detail for such a short peroid of time. also found a few editor errors of direct repitions of the same paragraph on the same page.
J.M.
No more Vallejo covers. I was sad. But I learned to appreciate the new artist, although I don't remember his name.
Eric Brown
That's it. Starting to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day - every book is the same.
Kione
STUpid!!
What a freakin' waste of time.
Grr!
Luna
Looking forward to the next one.
Jason Sewell
Jason Sewell marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • Sojourn: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Duke Elric (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #4)
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • Tong Lashing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #3)
  • Night Arrant (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #2)
  • Master Wolf (Greyhawk Adventures, #3)
  • Retief! (Retief)
  • Winter Witch

John Norman was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1931. His best known works, the Gor novels, span 31 books written 1967 to 2012, plus three installments of the Telnarian Histories, two other fiction works and a non-fiction paperback. Mr. Norman is married and has three childre...more
More about John Norman...
Tarnsman of Gor (Gor, #1) Outlaw of Gor (Gor, #2) Priest-Kings of Gor (Gor, #3) Nomads of Gor (Gor, #4) Assassin of Gor (Gor, #5)