Max & Maddy and the Bursting Balloons Mystery

Max & Maddy and the Bursting Balloons Mystery (Max & Maddy)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Max and Maddy Twist have a flair for solving crimes. You might even say it's in their blood. That's because their parents once ran a thriving detective agency--until the notorious Professor Claude Sardine shut them down. But now Max and Maddy are ready to pick up where their parents left off.

When an eccentric balloonist enlists their help in finding out who is sabotaging a...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA (first published December 12th 1997)

Dolly
Jan 14, 2013 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who enjoy mysteries
This is the second book in the Max & Maddy series by Alexander McCall Smith. There are only two books in the series, so I'm guessing this series just didn't take off. I can kinda see why.

The story is very odd and implausible and despite the action and drama, the plot falls flat. The book begins ater the first story and still alludes to the conflict and history that precedes this tale, but with very little details. That story begs to be told, but from what I can tell, it's not going to be.

Ov...more
Maria
Max and Maddy solve mysteries, it's something that they learned from their parents. In this adventure Mr. Hellium needs help finding out who is trying to stop his ballooning race. They travel across the country to solve the case.

Why I started it: I have enjoyed Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series and I wanted to read his children's books.

Why I finished it: This books is for middle elementary school students and was a breeze to read through. Simple and direct, it was a little amazin...more
JoDean
Dec 23, 2008 JoDean rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers who like to laugh with their kids.
This is the 2nd book in the Max and Maddy Mystery series by Alexander McCall-Smith. My kids and I found it to be appropriately suspenseful and laugh-out-loud funny. It is refreshing to find a modern book for children that is well written. I sure hope the author has plans for continuing the series.

Max and Maddy are employed to find out who is sabotaging a cross-country hot air balloon race with a million dollar purse. Might it be their arch-enemy, Professor Claude Sardine, the melodrama-esque vil...more
Michele
Jun 05, 2008 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 1st-2nd grade
Shelves: children
Where have I been! I never realized how prolific Alexander McCall Smith is(author of The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, among many other things!). The Max and Maddy mystery adventures are delightful. You might want to check these out for Sophie, Kellie. They are great first chapterbooks. I only wish I'd discovered them in the days when Christian was reading the Magic Treehouse. The audio version with McCall Smith narrating is just delightful. I'm going to get these for my nieces.
Abigail
Really quite dull. Though narrated by the author in his delicious British accent, it was so undelightful and uninspired I was fighting to stay awake and keep the car on the road (it put all 3 of my kids to sleep too- I mean they literally slept through the entire book starting from chapter one- so if you're looking for a sleeping aid, give this a whirl).
M.
Book 2 of a new Alexander McCall series appropriate for a 2nd grade chapter book although some of the language might be more appropriate for late 2nd grade reading. Max and Maddy are sibling detectives who are pitted against that archvillain, Professor Claude Sardine. Interesting plot and some funny moments.
Heather Richard
One of the better early chapter books we've read lately - we listened to it, actually, and the audio book was quite good. This age reader is a new world for me, so I don't have much to compare it to, yet...
Thomas
Please get more Max & Maddie mysteries. What is an impostor?
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
EJ
EJ added it
Jul 07, 2014
Karen Robertson
Karen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Zoe
Zoe added it
Mar 26, 2014
Bindsy
Bindsy marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Abdullah
Abdullah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Mickey Grosso
Mickey Grosso marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Amber Splettstoesser
Amber Splettstoesser marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Tina Frostell
Tina Frostell marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Ruth
Ruth added it
Oct 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what...more
More about Alexander McCall Smith...
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency  (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1) Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #2) Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3) The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #4) The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #5)