Start by marking “The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand” as Want to Read:
The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

"Fantastic Learning Tool...Don't let this book title fool you. It is not an oversimplification of accounting and financial principles. It is, however, a serious and very effective examination of a very small but progressively complex business. There are not many books available on the market that make a complex and dry subject understandable and even fun. This book success ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks (first published November 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Accounting Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accounting Game

Danail Stanev
Jan 27, 2011 Danail Stanev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are new to accounting you have to read it. Fantasticly clear
Caleb Rogers
Sep 11, 2014 Caleb Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All business, accounting, finance majors. Anybody with a job.
A good starter book for anybody interested in basic accounting. Teaches how to read the three basic accounting sheets using a Lemonade Stand example.

You literally can't not understand this book. It is so simple I'm sure a ten year old would grasp its contents. At times it can get a bit silly and repetitive with it's question-answer format, but its short, and you WILL grasp these concepts after reading.

I got it on kindle, which probably isn't effective because it has you constantly updating lit
Bibiduck
Aug 25, 2012 Bibiduck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate accounting because I failed this subject when undergraduate. But this book is so vivid that pull me back. I am now reading it the second time.
Ingrid
A. MUST. READ. FOR. EVERYONE.

As a clueless teenager and prospective undergrad student invested in my financial education, I picked up this book with low expectations. How I underestimated this book so much. Usually I'd skip past books like these with comic-sans font and "kid-friendly" sesame colors--under the impression that while these books generally had good intentions of explaining complex concepts, they only watered it down to simplex and useless jargon--I saw so many 5 star community revie
David
Jan 12, 2017 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Ehhh. This book is extremely elementary and may be a good starting point for those with zero accounting background. It only provides high level overviews of the three financial statements. For someone who wants a more comprehensive overview of accounting, I would recommend a much more detailed and advanced alternative. Mike Piper's Accounting Made Simple, although also with its own flaws, is a better read for those with a little accounting background.

Pros:
+ Short read
+ Hits all the bare basics b
Jan 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me begin by saying that i am in no way shape or form a math person, nor am I really good at it. It is just one of those subjects that has evaded me most of my life. That said, my husband bought me this book to help with a legal accounting course. What a life-saver!!!!

While it is a very basic story - setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard, this book breaks down every part of accounting and balance sheets into easy to understand concepts. The childish drawings add to the story but the
Greg
Apr 09, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book that could help change my view on accounting is worth 5 stars. Granted, this book is the basics, but it's a conceptual basis that makes sense and explains a lot of accounting confusion. I took accounting for a whole semester in college and learned less than I learned in the three days it took to work through this book.

It made each of the three financial statements make sense in terms of what they show and why they exist, and gave a pretty good overview of how to organize and work with e
Siti Rahmah
This book provides a way to start a small business - it is rather comprehensive. But it is not a good book to study for examination. Comparing to my workbook, I found out that topics gone through by this book is Income Statement and Balance Sheet only. I think this book needs improvement, by going through all the topics I have learned in school. Then it would be a good reference to keep records for a small business.
Kara
Jul 23, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is kind of a primer for the language of accounting. If you have any accounting knowledge, you'll probably hate this book. However, if you haven't the slightest idea about financial statements and want a step-by-step guide to what goes on a balance sheet, for example, this is the book for you. Extremely easy to follow and bases itself on running a lemonade stand!
Sid
May 18, 2012 Sid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well read most of it just before starting my bookkeeping course, and it really helped. The authors did a great job introducing the concepts in the view of a lemonade stand owner/ entrepreneur and introducing the financial statements. A little dumbed down and repetitive, but I'll take that any day over something unreadable, mundane and dry.
Lucy Ho
Oct 20, 2016 Lucy Ho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting. It would helpful for people who just start beginning know about accounting. In term of people who already approach with accounting information, this book might be too bore. It contains very basic accounting information with clearly and fun example about a boy 'establishing' his own business - lemonade stand in his summer. And that's all.
Megan
Feb 26, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-fiction
Love it. It's my go-to for entry level training purposes. I used this book to assist biz major (other than acctg) undergrads who had a difficult time understanding accounting. I now use it to tutor staff who don't have accounting degrees, but find themselves in accounting roles. It provides a wonderful solid base, and makes a world of difference to those in need.
Sasha Boersma
Dec 31, 2014 Sasha Boersma rated it it was amazing
Textbooks too boring or using numbers too big to comprehend? Try this fantastic activity book for people trying to learn accounting. It's my inspiration for how to run introductory accounting courses for non-business students. Well-spent $25.

My students particularly loved the colour and that it's written in simple, fun language - how to run a lemonade stand!
Fatima Mahdi
Mar 13, 2015 Fatima Mahdi rated it really liked it
Anyone in need of basic accounting skills this is the book for you. Language is easy to understand. The graphics and the colours makes it more fun. Who would've thought accounting would be this interesting?
Brendan Funk
Oct 08, 2015 Brendan Funk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me the childhood I never had.

Thank you Judith and Darrell for being my proxy parents. Thank you for loaning me money and letting me start my lemonade stand this summer. I truly appreciate it.
Mahesh
Jul 24, 2015 Mahesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must be he first book for non finance folks to learn accounting.

The style followed in this book is the most effective way to teach any subject to anybody irrespective of age.

I hope I will follow this approach in my personal and professional life to explain/teach things to others.

Amir
Apr 09, 2012 Amir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ignore the funny pictures. This book is a great little treasure that explains basic accounting and financial terms. You will learn about the three key financial statements and the relationship between them. It is a great beginner's book to understand accounting, the language of business.
Michelle
Never thought I would finish this one. Very helpful, and a strong reminder of why I never cared for the education system. CASH RULES EVERYTHING
Kunal
Oct 29, 2012 Kunal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books to nail down the basics of Accounting.
Mills College Library
657 M9598 2008
Lonnieandmelanie Wibberding
This book does a great job explaining accounting in an understandable way. The best book I know for the entrepreneur who needs to learn accounting
Dave Peticolas
A simple but very easy to understand introduction to accounting using a lemonade stand.
Costa
Aug 22, 2010 Costa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: accounting
Fun and down-to-earth way to learn accounting.
Brian
Jun 03, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for a very basic understanding of accounting and financial reports, this book was incredible. I knew nothing, now I know something
Yang Zhang
A perfect starter on accounting.
David
from motley fool
Kevin Payne
May 30, 2014 Kevin Payne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to go through and do the activities as well. Now if you are so so on stuff like accounting the Lemonade approach does help. However you may have to stick to it to finish.
Filipa
An awesome book to learn basic accounting!
Michael Bond
Jun 19, 2013 Michael Bond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to bring your from zero knowledge to some knowledge about accounting. For anything more serious, you will need to study more.
Forest Tong
Sep 06, 2015 Forest Tong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really clear, fun, and readable introduction to accounting that can be read in a few hours.
  • Financial Statements: A Step-by-step Guide to Understanding and Creating Financial Reports
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It: A Woman's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • Financial Accounting [with CD-ROM]
  • Long & the Short of It: A Guide to Finance & Investment for Normally Intelligent People Who Aren't in the Industry
  • Multiple Streams of Internet Income: How Ordinary People Make Extraordinary Money Online
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • Legal Guide for Starting and Running a Small Business
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • Asian Godfathers
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today
  • One Billion Customers: Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »