Start by marking “The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand” as Want to Read:
The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Fantastic Learning Tool...Don't let this book title fool you. It is not an oversimplification of accounting and financial principles. It is, however, a serious and very effective examination of a very small but progressively complex business. There are not many books available on the market that make a complex and dry subject understandable and even fun. This book successf ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks (first published November 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Accounting Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accounting Game

Caleb Rogers
Sep 11, 2014 Caleb Rogers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All business, accounting, finance majors. Anybody with a job.
A good starter book for anybody interested in basic accounting. Teaches how to read the three basic accounting sheets using a Lemonade Stand example.

You literally can't not understand this book. It is so simple I'm sure a ten year old would grasp its contents. At times it can get a bit silly and repetitive with it's question-answer format, but its short, and you WILL grasp these concepts after reading.

I got it on kindle, which probably isn't effective because it has you constantly updating lit
Danail Stanev
If you are new to accounting you have to read it. Fantasticly clear
Greg
Any book that could help change my view on accounting is worth 5 stars. Granted, this book is the basics, but it's a conceptual basis that makes sense and explains a lot of accounting confusion. I took accounting for a whole semester in college and learned less than I learned in the three days it took to work through this book.

It made each of the three financial statements make sense in terms of what they show and why they exist, and gave a pretty good overview of how to organize and work with e
Bibiduck
I hate accounting because I failed this subject when undergraduate. But this book is so vivid that pull me back. I am now reading it the second time.
Vishwa Karma
This is undoubtedly one of the easiest to read and understand book about accounting.

The book is almost like playing a game, but, if you play along under the directions of the author, you will end up learning how accounting, and to a lesser extent, small business finance works.

I feel this book is a great way to start learning about accounting and finance. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Sasha Boersma
Textbooks too boring or using numbers too big to comprehend? Try this fantastic activity book for people trying to learn accounting. It's my inspiration for how to run introductory accounting courses for non-business students. Well-spent $25.

My students particularly loved the colour and that it's written in simple, fun language - how to run a lemonade stand!
Megan
Love it. It's my go-to for entry level training purposes. I used this book to assist biz major (other than acctg) undergrads who had a difficult time understanding accounting. I now use it to tutor staff who don't have accounting degrees, but find themselves in accounting roles. It provides a wonderful solid base, and makes a world of difference to those in need.
Let me begin by saying that i am in no way shape or form a math person, nor am I really good at it. It is just one of those subjects that has evaded me most of my life. That said, my husband bought me this book to help with a legal accounting course. What a life-saver!!!!

While it is a very basic story - setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard, this book breaks down every part of accounting and balance sheets into easy to understand concepts. The childish drawings add to the story but the
Mahesh
This must be he first book for non finance folks to learn accounting.

The style followed in this book is the most effective way to teach any subject to anybody irrespective of age.

I hope I will follow this approach in my personal and professional life to explain/teach things to others.

Kaloyan Drenski
I highly, highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in learning the basics of accounting in a fun and productive way. I will definitely re-read this in the near future!
Kevin Payne
A good book to go through and do the activities as well. Now if you are so so on stuff like accounting the Lemonade approach does help. However you may have to stick to it to finish.
Dave Peticolas
A simple but very easy to understand introduction to accounting using a lemonade stand.
Fatima Mahdi
Anyone in need of basic accounting skills this is the book for you. Language is easy to understand. The graphics and the colours makes it more fun. Who would've thought accounting would be this interesting?
Siti Rahmah
This book provides a way to start a small business - it is rather comprehensive. But it is not a good book to study for examination. Comparing to my workbook, I found out that topics gone through by this book is Income Statement and Balance Sheet only. I think this book needs improvement, by going through all the topics I have learned in school. Then it would be a good reference to keep records for a small business.
Kara
This is kind of a primer for the language of accounting. If you have any accounting knowledge, you'll probably hate this book. However, if you haven't the slightest idea about financial statements and want a step-by-step guide to what goes on a balance sheet, for example, this is the book for you. Extremely easy to follow and bases itself on running a lemonade stand!
Sid
well read most of it just before starting my bookkeeping course, and it really helped. The authors did a great job introducing the concepts in the view of a lemonade stand owner/ entrepreneur and introducing the financial statements. A little dumbed down and repetitive, but I'll take that any day over something unreadable, mundane and dry.
Amir
Ignore the funny pictures. This book is a great little treasure that explains basic accounting and financial terms. You will learn about the three key financial statements and the relationship between them. It is a great beginner's book to understand accounting, the language of business.
Michelle
Never thought I would finish this one. Very helpful, and a strong reminder of why I never cared for the education system. CASH RULES EVERYTHING
Lonnieandmelanie Wibberding
This book does a great job explaining accounting in an understandable way. The best book I know for the entrepreneur who needs to learn accounting
Brian
for a very basic understanding of accounting and financial reports, this book was incredible. I knew nothing, now I know something
Michael Bond
Good to bring your from zero knowledge to some knowledge about accounting. For anything more serious, you will need to study more.
Amanda
Hesitate to give this five stars because it's about accounting, but credit where credit is due. This was really well done.
Kunal
One of the best books to nail down the basics of Accounting.
Catherine Leathley
I learn to appreciate accounting because of this book .
Filipa
An awesome book to learn basic accounting!
Costa
Fun and down-to-earth way to learn accounting.
Projection
Good book to understand the accounts basics..
Prayogi Rahmad
pengen beli tapi kok mahal ya............ :(
Danail Stanev
Excellent book for beginners
Mills College Library
657 M9598 2008
  • Financial Statements: A Step-by-step Guide to Understanding and Creating Financial Reports
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home
  • Financial Accounting, with CD-Rom
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Multiple Streams of Internet Income: How Ordinary People Make Extraordinary Money Online
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro
  • The Science Book: Everything You Need to Know About the World and How It Works
  • Painless Algebra
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time
O Jogo da Contabilidade Getting Ready to Sell on Ebay: Your Guide to Prepare for Internet Auction Sales

“Gross Profit is sales minus cost of goods sold. (Net Profit is something different, which we’ll get to shortly.)” 0 likes
“Net Profit is often called the...? Bottom line.” 0 likes