Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction

Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The infamous pain at the pump runs much deeper than our wallets, argues Terry Tamminen, former Secretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency and current Special Advisor to California Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Petroleum may power our cars and heat our homes, but it also contributes to birth defects and disorders like asthma and emphysema, not to mention...more
Published October 2nd 2006 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Lives Per Gallon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives Per Gallon

Greg
If you've been thinking about how bad you think oil is in general and want some further quantification of it, this book is just the ticket. Tamminen spoke at one of my friend's grad school graduations, and she was particularly moved. Believe me after reading this you will be too.
Robin
This is not an easy read.
Babies born to smokers have cancer-causing (non-natural) chemical compounds (such as benzene and toluene) in their umbilical cord blood before they are even born.

Car exhaust is just as bad for you as cigarette smoke. Keeping the windows closed won't help. In some studies, inside car air is as bad or worse for your health than the air outside your car.

Riding the yellow school bus is especially unhealthy. Research has shown that a child riding inside a diesel school bus...more
Tracy
My comments: This is a powerfully informative book that really changed my perspective on how our society gets energy. It will make you feel really disgusted, but it's important knowledge.
Will
Learned a bit about how much pollution one is exposed to while driving or stuck in traffic... that's about it.
Ben
May 08, 2007 Ben rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is immediately relevant to anyone who, I don't know, drives a car, pays taxes, or lives in the United States.
De
This book will make you angry at oil companies, auto manufacturers, and others that profit from oil.
Erin
truly enlightening and inspiring. pertinent referencing that covers a wide range of sources.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mokoyo
Mokoyo added it
Apr 15, 2014
Sarina
Sarina marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Steve Bedford
Steve Bedford marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
W
W marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Laam Yoonyul
Laam Yoonyul marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Erin
Erin added it
Feb 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Ultimate Guide to Pool Maintenance The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual: Spas, Pools, Hot Tubs, Rockscapes, and Other Water Features, 2nd Edition Cracking the Carbon Code: The Key to Sustainable Profits in the New Economy The Ultimate Guide to Above-Ground Pools The Pool Maintenance Manual