Start by marking “Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction” as Want to Read:
Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction

Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction

The infamous pain at the pump runs much deeper than our wallets, argues Terry Tamminen, former Secretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency and current Special Advisor to California Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Petroleum may power our cars and heat our homes, but it also contributes to birth defects and disorders like asthma and emphysema, not to mention ...more
Published October 2nd 2006 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Lives Per Gallon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives Per Gallon

Greg
Aug 07, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it
If you've been thinking about how bad you think oil is in general and want some further quantification of it, this book is just the ticket. Tamminen spoke at one of my friend's grad school graduations, and she was particularly moved. Believe me after reading this you will be too.
Robin
This is not an easy read.
Babies born to smokers have cancer-causing (non-natural) chemical compounds (such as benzene and toluene) in their umbilical cord blood before they are even born.

Car exhaust is just as bad for you as cigarette smoke. Keeping the windows closed won't help. In some studies, inside car air is as bad or worse for your health than the air outside your car.

Riding the yellow school bus is especially unhealthy. Research has shown that a child riding inside a diesel school bus
Francisco Valdes
Jan 17, 2016 Francisco Valdes rated it it was amazing
An exhaustive account on the social costs of the private car. Full of useful information. I did not know that a parked car pollutes the air with dangerous fumes containing cancer-causing chemicals, for example. A must for anyone interested in health, the environment and mobility.
Tracy
Feb 27, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
My comments: This is a powerfully informative book that really changed my perspective on how our society gets energy. It will make you feel really disgusted, but it's important knowledge.
Will
Sep 02, 2011 Will rated it it was ok
Learned a bit about how much pollution one is exposed to while driving or stuck in traffic... that's about it.
Ben
May 08, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is immediately relevant to anyone who, I don't know, drives a car, pays taxes, or lives in the United States.
De
Jan 02, 2012 De rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you angry at oil companies, auto manufacturers, and others that profit from oil.
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Nilla
Nilla rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2009
Gennadyi
Gennadyi rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Kriyakid
Kriyakid rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2009
Zandra
Zandra rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Brian Stillman
Brian Stillman rated it liked it
May 07, 2008
Say
Say rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 07, 2009
Absurdnerd
Absurdnerd rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Rocio
Rocio rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Skylar
Skylar rated it really liked it
May 27, 2013
Christine Casali
Christine Casali rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Isaac Robb
Isaac Robb rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Shafiq
Shafiq rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Allison Brown
Allison Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Phie
Phie rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2008
Ozzie Zehner
Ozzie Zehner rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2011
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Sue.anderbois
Sue.anderbois rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2009
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2007
Jerry Wall
Jerry Wall rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016