Start by marking “Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dungeons & Dragons for...

Bill Slavicsek

Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies

Caught in traffic. Trapped in a cubicle. Stuck in a rut. Tangled up in red tape.In the real world, sometimes you feel powerless--but not in Dungeons & Dragons (D & D). In this fantasy-adventure, you have all kinds of special powers. You can slay the evil dragon, overcome the orc or the ogre, haunt the werewolf, and triumph over sinister trolls. You venture into str ...more
Published April 8th 2005 by For Dummies (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies

Amanda Pearl
May 06, 2013 Amanda Pearl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bir-2013
I'm normally a big fan of the "For Dummies" series, but this wasn't organized well at all. I picked up D&D for dummies because my friends and I decided to start a game. This was my first book on D&D and I thought the For Dummies book would be great for a complete beginner. However this book was really overwhelming and difficult to follow. Reading the player's handbook would be a better place to start.
Mark
Oct 04, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I just got curious - it's been nearly 30 years since I've played and Aldie thinks the newest version is "da bomb." So far, it's been interesting to read what feels like a REALLY long version of the article I read in Games Magazine so many years ago...

UPDATE: ...and, though it was interesting, I came to realize that I no longer have 20 hours/week to devote to the enjoyment of a RPG. The system for combat makes SO much more sense than the older system - as do the feats/powers/etc. systems... but t
Jessica
Sep 04, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from the library because I'm joining a game soon and have never played before. The book has done a great job of explaining everything so that I feel much more confident and I'm not completely lost anymore. I was a little disappointed that the book only covers some of the character classes instead of all of them. I understand that covering all of them would take much too long but the class that I decided on is not in the book so I can't steal quite as many ideas as I would l ...more
Amber
I guess as a manual it is should get 5 stars - it does what it's supposed to do very well. It's just not as much fun to read as an actual work of fiction.

So I technically didn't finish this book but it's not really what it's for.

It was super handy for me as I am slowly starting to play D&D with some dudes have been playing since they could walk are actually such fabulous, nerdy experts that they get to test out material for new games or editions or whatever.

I am still slow and have to ask
Josianne Fitzgerald
Apr 15, 2014 Josianne Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Speed read through it because my son wanted to learn to play it. I played in college and this book quickly refreshed and brought it all on. This is a good primer for people new to the game or oldies like me who hadn't played for a long time.

My son is now hooked, having played his first game with the sample in the book, DM'd by yours truly after a 10-minute read of the adventure.
Eric Bell
This 'For Dummies' book provides an overview of the mechanics and general gameplay of the fourth edition of dungeons and dragons. If they had contrasted the 4th edition with the 3rd edition and then also with the pathfinder series, it would be more informative for your typical dungeons and dragons enthusiast.
Anggitpy
Sep 15, 2007 Anggitpy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: RPG fans
Shelves: references
I'm a hardcore fans of RPG (Role Playing Game) Genre. This book gives you an interesting detail about dragons, their origin, what folklore said about dragon, and all about dragon. If you like RPG then you'll definitely like this book.
Kelly
May 31, 2008 Kelly added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd edition players/DMs
I actually quit reading this book because the game went into a new edition and some of the information in this book no longer applied. May use it as a reference in the future for some of the DMing parts but rules specific information is now outdated.
Jeff
Apr 04, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not only an excellent introduction to the 4th edition rules, but it's also an great book for anyone new to the roleplaying hobby. For experienced players the top 10 lists in the back and the chapter on min/maxing are great.
colleen
Josh Liller
Mar 31, 2009 Josh Liller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaming
This was a great introductory book for D&D 3.5

D&D has since moved on to 4th Edition, but I believe they released a revised version of this for the new edition.
Hannah
Apr 03, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculously educational.
David
Jun 18, 2011 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So, it's been about 30 years since I last played D&D, my son really wants to play, and the game has changed a lot since the 1st edition. You may address me as Merhawk the Grey, Leve1 1 Wizard....
Abraham Ray
Apr 08, 2012 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good dnd book for beginners!
Nicole Westen
Nicole Westen rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2014
Stygian Jim
Stygian Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Justin Ellenwood
Justin Ellenwood rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2015
Mknox
Mknox rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Scott Wilson
Scott Wilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Leon
Leon rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2013
Izslozne
Izslozne rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Gary Nelson Wood
Gary Nelson Wood rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2011
Lara Crum
Lara Crum rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Derek McDaniel
Derek McDaniel rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Erik Indigo
Erik Indigo rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Jordan Valentine
Jordan Valentine rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dungeons and Dragons Rules Cyclopedia
  • Forgotten Realms Atlas, The (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #8442)
  • The Darke Crusade (Lone Wolf, #15)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Monstrous Manual
  • Grey Star the Wizard (The World of Lone Wolf, #1)
  • Monster Manual II (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2016)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Manual of the Planes
  • The Shattered Sphere (The Hunted Earth, #2)
  • Ocean of Lard
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
Bill Slavicsek's gaming life was forever changed when he discovered Dungeons & Dragons in 1976. He became a gaming professional in 1986 when he was hired by West End Games as an editor. He quickly added developer, designer, and creative manager to his resume, and his work helped shape the Paranoia, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and Torg roleplaying games. He even found some time during that period ...more
More about Bill Slavicsek...