Start by marking “Johnny Crow's Garden A Picture Book” as Want to Read:
Johnny Crow's Garden A Picture Book

Johnny Crow's Garden A Picture Book

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Illustrated children's book; Johnny Crow has an amazing garden, jam packed with other animals who all get up to plenty of fun.

NB: Also available online as an e-book.
Published 1968 by Frederick WArne and Company Ltd. (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Crow's Garden A Picture Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny Crow's Garden A Picture Book

Gerry
What a bird is Johnny Crow! He has an amazing garden and it is shown to great advantage in this picture book, with words, of course, by Leslie Brooke.

The animals to be found in the garden are countless beginning with a cute lion with a green and yellow bow tie. The rat wore a feather in his hat but unfortunately the bear had nothing to wear so the ape took his measure with a tape, preparing to fit him out!

The crane was caught in the rain so Johnny produced an umbrella to protect him but the beav
Ladyirwin Ruffner
This was another childhood favorite. I loved the illustrations so much my mother painted a hand drawn "...crane, caught out in the rain, in Johnny Crow's Garden", which I still have.
Dominic Beckett
This short poem (with lovely illustrations by the author) is great fun and was one of my favourites as a child. I still enjoy the bizarreness of the verse, and the pictures capture the character of the animals as they all meet in Johnny Crow's (who is a crow) garden for a party. Would be a nice way to introduce a class to nonsense verse, with loads of opportunity for creativity, asking pupils to make a similar poem with the animals they might invite to their own garden party.
Connie Harrison
Having read about L. Leslie Brooke in textbooks about children's literature, I was glad to find this title. The black and white illustrations won't be engaging for most contemporary kids, but people who are interested in the history of literature will enjoy it.
Karey
One of the earliest books around, that I recall, of animals taking on human qualities. The story is delightful, the illustrations have the same emotive quality as Beatrix Potter's work, and the story line is simple, fun and memorable!
Angie
** Please support your local independent bookstore when buying this book! Buying from Amazon.com hurts your local economy. If you don't know where to go, check here: http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store... **
Angie
David
My all-time favorite book when I was a lad living in central Maine. The illustrations and text blended very well, a delightful story - one which I savor at least seventy-five years later.
Rob
A childhood favorite. My edition was a double book, with Peter Pan (an abridged version) upside down and starting from the backm or the front as it were. This part is much more worn.
Theresa
very old book have it in my library, its an interesting look at tales and history
Gail
First published in 1903. Interesting, detailed pictures. Not much of a story.
Hanneke
Old-fashioned but really nice rhyming picture book.
Simone Roughouser
best kid's book ever. best rhymes ever. best illustrations.
The Ham
The Ham marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 21, 2014
Mahmoud Alraziq
Mahmoud Alraziq marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ideasnatchers
Ideasnatchers marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Jasmin Garcia
Jasmin Garcia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Katie Barbi
Katie Barbi marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Story of the Three Little Pigs Johnny Crow's Party The Golden Goose Book The Story of the Three Bears The Story of the Three Little Pig and Other Shorts Works