Start by marking “The Glorious Pool” as Want to Read:
The Glorious Pool

The Glorious Pool

First Edition. Illustrated by Herbert Roese.

Note: Speculative, although, very likely that this is the correct cover for this edition. (Cloth/Jacket color, embossed cloth illustration/ inside illustration point to possible correspondence).
Not 100% Verified. Edition cloth detail does not scan well to color.

Verification needed for dust jacket.

[Summary]
60 year old Rex Pebble i
240 pages
Published 1945 (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about The Glorious Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glorious Pool

Henry Avila
Aug 28, 2016 Henry Avila rated it liked it
In the backyard of Spray Summers's house, (I'm not making these names up) there is a green pool, in the wonderful garden, a statue of a naked, pretty nymph on a pedestal, in the middle of the water, standing there alone, but not lonely, Baggage, she's called that by Mr.Rex Pebble, who bought it, I mean her, and put in the pool. A frequent visitor, to his longtime mistress's, Spray's, home, the married, wealthy man, has two females in his life , Miss Summers, and the wife, (in name only, as they ...more
Tosh
May 18, 2008 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been collecting Throne Smith books for the past two years. What an incredible writer and super hysterical. His stories usually have drunks, living statues and lots of nudity. The lighter side of F. Scott - but still really twisted. Bring all his books back to print. Right now!
Jeff Anderson
Aug 10, 2013 Jeff Anderson rated it really liked it
I liked this. "The Glorious Pool" is Smith's last completed novel("The Passionate Witch" being completed after his death by Norman H. Matson). In "The Night Life of the Gods" Hunter and Hawk and Mageara end the book in a last and lasting embrace, frozen for all time in stone. Here Rex Pebble is left running after the enchantress known as Baggage, eager for what will come next. Smith's inconclusive ending deprives us of yet another courtroom scene, but leaves us with a richer appreciation of life ...more
Neil
Aug 23, 2010 Neil rated it liked it
Probably the weakest of Smith's comic fantasies, after a highy enjoyable start it goes downhill and never really gets anywhere.
After finishing I discovered that it was actually completed by Thorne's wife after his premature death I don't know if she just polished the manuscript or how much she wrote but I found myself getting rather bored after they depart on the fire-engine and only occasionally enjoying what came after.
The book is however vastly better than "The Passionate Witch" which is almo
Kay
Dec 17, 2009 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor-whimsy, fiction
Distinctly disappointing Thorne Smith. Seemed forced and disjointed. Luckily, it's easy to skim. The usual barrage of cocktails and hijinks -- imagine the sort of banter from a Thin Man movie with Smith's much-used device of statues that come to life... well, that worked in Nightlife of the Gods but it fell short here.
Chris Jones
Dec 01, 2012 Chris Jones rated it did not like it
Man, you really need to be a lot funnier than this if you're going to be so outlandishly racist on like, every single page.
Descending Angel
Apr 02, 2016 Descending Angel rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Not quite as good as the other smith book i read, but i enjoyed it.
Brent
Sep 06, 2013 Brent rated it did not like it
Awful, awful book. I stopped about a third of the way in. I just couldn't go on.

Rex Pebble has a wife and a mistress (Spray Summers - the names of the characters are ridiculous) who know about each other, and are apparently OK with the situation. Rex keeps his mistress in a separate home with a backyard pool that becomes magical after their 20-30 year relationship. After a dip they're both about 25 years younger!

What makes this book unreadable is the awful, awful, awful dialogue. It's as if the
Karen
Aug 29, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago. Thorne Smith has such a way with his humor in his writings. I laughed so hard at parts of this book that family members asked what was so funny!
Katitude
Katitude rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2010
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Bernie
Bernie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Francie Shoemaker
Francie Shoemaker rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Pen Fairchild
Pen Fairchild rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2009
John Silbersack
John Silbersack rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
James W.  Harris
James W. Harris rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Tomaz
Tomaz rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Carol Maloney
Carol Maloney rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Chris Ewen
Chris Ewen rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2012
Bob Griffith
Bob Griffith rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
barbix
barbix rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
David Bingham
David Bingham rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Demerara
Demerara rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Leland Gilsen
Leland Gilsen rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli
More about Thorne Smith...