Object-Oriented JavaScript

Object-Oriented JavaScript

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The book requires no prior knowledge of JavaScript and works from the ground up to give you a thorough grounding in this powerful language. If you do already know some JavaScript, you will find plenty of eye-openers as you discover just what the language can do. This book takes a do-it-yourself approach when it comes to writing code, because the best way to really learn a...more
Published July 23rd 2008 by Packt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Object-Oriented JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Object-Oriented JavaScript

Craig Cecil
I bought this book on the promise of its subtitle—specifically, that it would provide useful information regarding building a robust, custom JavaScript library for an enterprise. I was hoping that it would provide an ongoing example library that would be built up over the course of the book. No such luck. But, that doesn't mean it isn't a good book—just that the subtitle may be a little misleading. Stefanov does a good job of describing important JavaScript concepts such as prototype chaining, a...more
Daniel Lee
Apr 25, 2014 Daniel Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning to intermediate programmers
The book is great for beginning to intermediate programmers who want to start working in JavaScript. I found it made for pleasant, light reading without lacking in substance. It's full of general information and good tips explained easily enough that you can read it through and remember most of what you've read, but organized so that you can easily find details if you need to look them up later.

It starts by explaining some of the basic concepts of working with JavaScript, what kinds of concepts...more
Georgi
Pretty thorough overview of JavaScript and its object-oriented features. Covers some well-known design patterns, including ones from the "Gang of Four". I'd recommend it to anyone who's serious about the language.

I wish it didn't draw so much attention to trivial stuff, related to the language itself. Given the title, I was surprised to see that half of the book deals with "JavaScript 101". Nevertheless, the intermediate JS developers can easily skip the first chapters.
Andrey Zaharov
This is nice entry-level book, that includes not only description of what object-oriented JavaScript is, but also has a very good introduction of JavaScript language fearures itself . I found the book rather usefull, and reccomend it for every beginners in JavaScript world, because the author use many usefull examples about how many important language features work. It's very easy to read and understand.
Iman Mh
The only star that I don't give to this book is because of last chapter "Design Patterns". It is not complete and attractive enough but the rest of the book and specially OO parts are the best I've ever seen.
Pandu Pradhana
Essential for those who want to master the JavaScript programming language
Amet Alvirde
Lo leí por recomendación de Jeffrey Way, menciona que es su libro favorito sobre el tema, y aunque no sé si sea el mío, al menos expande tus horizontes de una manera increíble, Javascript, como sabemos, dejó de ser un lenguaje para convertirse en EL lenguaje de un tiempo para acá. Cualquier desarrollador con ánimos de triunfar en el medio debe dominarlo y este libro es una gran ayuda. Va desde lo básico hasta cosas muy específicas que solo podría ser adquirido fuera de este libro por medio de la...more
Joe White
excellent for organized presentation of syntax; oo concepts; coverage of closures and patterns. Complaints: the pattern info was very brief and felt very rushed; more examples would have helped. Throughout, the examples were very brief but very pertinent to the point being explained. However if you don't immediately catch how something is working then you will have to search elsewhere.

This book combined with something like the javascript bible + lots of practice could make a very good js program...more
Alessandro Pellizzari
Molto approfondito e completo, soprattutto per quanto riguarda l'argomento proncipale: la OOP.
Forse un po' confuso il capitolo su DOM e BOM, ma viene comunque trattato in tutti gli altri manauali di Javascript. Volendo se ne sarebbe anche potuto fare a meno, se non fosse servito come ampia spiegazione del pattern observer.
Le appendici sono tanto utili che forse meriterebbero di essere un manualetto a parte.
Vlad Piersec
It's definitely one of the best dive into JavaScript books I've ever read. If you've just begun using JS there is no other book I would recommend.

It is a beginner/intermediate level book so if you are looking for something much more advanced it's not the perfect choice although there are some things that you might learn from reading it..
Miroslav
This was my first OOP Javascript related book. I had to do with OOP javascript before and it was a bit difficult for me to understand the way it is achieved in this language.

This book cleared my questions and helped me dive into that great language.
Nick Carter
Absolutely the JavaScript book I recommend everyone read. Shows damned near every way of doing things like inheritance, lazy functions, encapsulation and more, but manages to be very enjoyable and accessible.
Tyler
Great introduction to object-oriented Javascript. If you're familiar with Javascript, you'll fly through the first bit, but it's a good build up to the basic concepts behind Javascript plugins and frameworks.
Ivo Stoykov
Another great book! Great author. Must read for every web (and not only) programmer
Steve Blades
perfect for those just learning, or taking the step to higher practice
Evgeniy Vasilev
Nice introduction to JavaScript.
Zachary Feuerborn
Must read for JavaScript devleopers
Dileep
Dileep is currently reading it
Christopher Millward
Christopher Millward marked it as to-read
Abdulhamid AlAttar
Abdulhamid AlAttar marked it as to-read
Eddie
Eddie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
vircode
vircode is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Islam
Islam marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Rasheed
Rasheed is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Victor Foster
Victor Foster marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
author questions welcome 2 8 Sep 06, 2008 03:18PM

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
JavaScript Patterns Web Performance Daybook Volume 2 JavaScript for PHP Developers Object-Oriented JavaScript - Second Edition Phpbb: A User Guide