Start by marking “The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden” as Want to Read:
The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden

The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Why do you garden? For fun? Work? Food? The reasons to garden are as unique as the gardener.

"The Roots of My Obsession" features thirty essays from the most vital voices in gardening. They show that gardening is a passion and obsession that cannot be conquered or abandoned, only indulged. Each gardener tells a compelling story. Whether their muse is the quest to achieve a
Published October 2nd 2012 by Timber Press (OR)

To ask other readers questions about The Roots of My Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roots of My Obsession

Dec 07, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to give this book more than 5 stars - all the essays are good but some of them are so beautifully written that I had to order it before I had finished my copy from the library. It's amazing to me that there are people who can both write like this and garden well enough to be featured in a book about writing. Will make your see your own garden and the outdoor space you frequent in a different manner, and may even help you feel somehow more connected to the human race thru the love of ...more
Dorothy
Apr 27, 2014 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, gardening, essays
I love this little book. It speaks to my soul and to my own obsession.

Yes, I admit it - I, too, am obsessed with gardening, sometimes to the point of nuttiness, but reading this book with its short essays by thirty great gardeners (thirty-one including the introduction by the editor Thomas Cooper), some that I knew about and some I had never heard of, made me realize that this particular obsession of mine is a holy gift from the universe and from all my gardening ancestors who, somewhere, must b
Nowells
Feb 27, 2013 Nowells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished this book I wanted to start it over again. So validating to know that others are just as crazily yearning to get their hands dirty in the spring, or push the snow off their tulip bed so they can poke their beautiful faces into the sun.
Inspirational, and sweet. Some of the essays made me want to cry. Instead I will go find my trowel.
Kendra
Feb 26, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do you garden?

This may seem like a simple question to ask someone who has dedicated a large amount of their life to the cause, but in The Roots of My Obsession the answers are often complex and several authors appeared to struggle to fit the answer into their two page limit. Gardening is much more than a hobby to many, it is a way of life and a passion that many carry with them throughout their lifetimes. In this book edited by Thomas C. Cooper, thirty famous gardeners reveal a snippet of w
Audrey
Jul 16, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by the president of my mastergardener group and I love a garden book....I am listing the people covered in the book because I would like to check them out further.
Tony Avent Panayoti Kelaidis***
Nancy Goodwin** Amy Stewart
Susa
Bonnie
Jan 19, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Next to thumbing through seed catologs, reading about gardening is one of my favorite winter past times. When I discovered this new volume of essays written by well known gardeners reflecting on why they garden, I snatched it up. I was not disappointed. What I found was a well-written collection that is as diverse and as personal as their own individual gardens. Each essay is short and easily digestible and was a nice way to while away a winter afternoon encouraging me to reflect upon my own obs ...more
Diana Petty-stone
What an interesting read! All 30 of the stories were very good and I throughly enjoyed it.
Laurla2
Feb 09, 2015 Laurla2 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
couldnt finish it. so boring.
Robyn Obermeyer
Mar 06, 2013 Robyn Obermeyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great winter reading, i love the use of latin names and the fact that I know these plants also and consider the plants friends! Good to know there are others like myself who knew from a young age they were into the flora and fauna around there homes! I love to garden cause it provides beauty, interest, and passion from the soul, the earth, the flowers and the weeds all have a special place in my heart!trees also give me great pleasure, winter spring summer and fall.......come on spring!!!!!!
Carla Bayha
Dec 28, 2013 Carla Bayha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The point of my garden is to increase the value of my life"--Anna Pavord. Very hard to produce a good book in the genre of garden narrative--maybe one a year is published. This was one for 2012. I've also had the pleasure of seeing 8 of the people who contributed essays for this book give lectures--hope to see a few more of them in the next couple years.
Maura
This is a delightful book for those that are obsessed, even if just a little, with gardening. 30 short stories written by well-known gardening journalist and horticulturist, many stories are heart-warming and funny and give words to the mystery of the why we must plant and grow and get dirt in our fingernails and toes. I certainly recommend it for light, summer reading, or even winter reading as we dream of the coming spring!
Elizabeth
Many of the stories were very similar, but the book itself ushered in a feeling of intense desire to learn and grow, as these gardeners have done in their nurturing of their hobby and their gardens. While I have different interests and reasons for the hobby, the book, to me, was an inspiriation to keep growing.
David
The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden by Thomas C. Cooper (Timber Press 2012) (635) is simply a book of essays by gardeners about gardening. A few of the essays are touching, a few are clever, and the rest are filler. My rating: 5/10, finished 7/25/13.
Colleen
Dec 17, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable read that offered insight into the diverse approaches and motivations that fall within the label of gardener. As someone who has always focused on the practical, edible side of gardening I found the essays by primarily ornamental gardeners especially enlightening.
Jun 11, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thirty short pieces by thirty gardeners on why they garden. A great commute read and a great introduction to some writers I'd like to learn more about.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
30 gardeners express the "why" of their fascination of growing fascination with growing things. Usually and in-born life long passion.
Jan
Dec 04, 2012 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really did not give this book a chance. I thought I was getting a 'how to' book so this one really did not flag my interest.
Bonnie Westmark
Apr 20, 2015 Bonnie Westmark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I am not alone in my passion!
Booksingarden
Booksingarden rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Debbie Lachance
Debbie Lachance rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Maille Yarwood
Maille Yarwood marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Zinny
Zinny rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Hanah Murphy
Hanah Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Eda
Eda rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Unexpected Houseplant: 220 Extraordinary Choices for Every Spot in Your Home
  • The Backyard Parables: Lessons on Gardening, and Life
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored
  • The Garden Primer
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden
  • Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden
  • Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass
  • The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Succulents Simplified: Growing, Designing, and Crafting with 100 Easy-Care Varieties
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden