Start by marking “Serving Up the Harvest: Celebrating the Goodness of Fresh Vegetables: 175 Simple Recipes” as Want to Read:

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When height-of-the-season farmers' market offerings are irresistible; when backyard gardens are exploding with what appear to be hundreds of perfect tomatoes; or when the same old methods for cooking green beans or corn don't offer enough flavor, Andrea Chesman is ready with a bounty of creative recipes that bring out the best in fresh produce.
Chesman knows what it's lik
Published July 13th 2012 by Storey Publishing (first published April 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Serving Up the Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serving Up the Harvest

Fredrick Danysh
Most nutritionists agree that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables and many people agree that home grown are better tasting than the mass produced ones. This book gives 175 recipes from across the country for fresh vegetables along with sidebars about them. There are bound to be some recipes for everyone's individual tastes [I don't eat squash but love okra and tomatoes].
Molly
Jul 11, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go-to book for CSA season. I've been in three different CSAs over the past six years, and I almost end up with some vegetable I'm not quite sure what to do with (turnips, kale, parsnips...). I love the fact that this book not only has recipes, but also includes a general how-to about most of the major vegetable types, so that I have general preparation instructions regardless of whether I make one of the recipes in the book or a recipe online. It also has weight conversion (e.g. 1 pou ...more
Jeanne
Feb 23, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vegetable cooking at its best! I've been looking for a book that would expand my horizons beyond broccoli and green beans and I think this is it. I don't want to be a vegetarian, just incorporate more veggies into my diet. There are terrific recipes here, including Spaghetti Squash Salad with Citrus Dressing (never thought about using it in a salad!), Pasta with Arugula Pesto, Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Wilted Greens, Tuscan Kale with White Beans and Garlic, Pan-Roasted Green Beans with Warm ...more
Mrs. Musrum's Mum Keleher
A very useful book if you're a member of a CSA or a farmers' market regular. The recipes are listed in the order produce comes into season, so you have asparagus and greens at the beginning and squash at the end. The first chapter covers recipe basics, such as stir frying, grilling, steaming, pasta and various sauces and dressings. Everything I've tried is tasty, and I expect it will continue to be a useful book as the growing season unfolds.
Ruth
Sep 06, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Birthday present from Katie to Jack. This is a great cookbook/reference for someone who already knows the basics of cooking, but is eager to start utilizing fresh vegetables from a local market or their own garden. I love the way the index is set up according to which vegetables are in season. This seems like a great next step for those whole really enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and want to take their local eating habits to the next level.
Elizabeth
Oct 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mike, perhaps?
Shelves: cookbooks
While I didn't finish my cover-to-cover read, I've consulted this cookbook enough in the last four months that I think it has to count for something. Well written and nicely organized - by season, and then by type of produce - I found it really conducive to local eating and preserving.
Marie
Jan 27, 2010 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Receipes are delcious and there are tidbits and explanations for how each vegetable grows. Good pick for anyone who wants to try to eat with the seasons.
Stephanie
Aug 05, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
Wonderful, broken down by season and particular veggie. Lots of great tips for growing and picking. This needs to be in my home collection:)
Kathleen
Thank goodness for ILL! Got some good recipes/ideas, clear info.
Jack Barraclough
Sep 06, 2009 Jack Barraclough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Present from Katie! Thanks sis!
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Sep 02, 2015
Julaine
Julaine rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Judy Koplan
Judy Koplan rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Grace Pokela
Grace Pokela marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
C. W. Wilson
C. W. Wilson rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Sarah Lundquist
Sarah Lundquist rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I write cookbooks. I also edit them. I am grateful that I have found work that I enjoy.

Pickled Pantry is my newest book. I am very excited about it, and it is already generating favorable reviews.

Mostly I have written about vegetables, but I took a break from them to write 250 Treasured Country Dessertswith my co-author Fran Raboff on, which came out in 2009. The book is an update and expanded ve
More about Andrea Chesman...