Start by marking “The Sandalwood Princess” as Want to Read:
The Sandalwood Princess

The Sandalwood Princess

Determined to uncover who stole her sandalwood statue, Amanda Cavencourt - an Englishwoman living in India - is shocked to learn the culprit is a notorious rogue known as the Falcon. Why would a man renowned for his dangerous and delicate missions indulge in petty thievery? Intrigued by the mystery — and rumors of the Falcon's devilish charm and good looks—Amanda sets out ...more
Published November 1st 1991 by Avon Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandalwood Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandalwood Princess

The Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeDone With Men by Shuchi Singh KalraShadow of the Moon by M.M. KayeOlivia And Jai by Rebecca RymanZemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald
Romance in India (and/or) Indian Heroes and Heroines
61st out of 138 books — 93 voters
Amanda/Miranda by Richard PeckA Surrendered Heart by Tracie PetersonOn a Wild Night by Stephanie LaurensRogue's Widow, Gentleman's Wife by Helen DicksonWoman of Courage by Wanda E. Brunstetter
"Amanda"
16th out of 41 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dannie
Mar 25, 2016 Dannie rated it liked it
This book closes for me the 'marathon read' of all Loretta Chase books, as it was the last one on my list.
Perhaps I'd enjoyed it more if I had read it among the first ones as after all it's an early written book in her career.
However, I didn't find it disagreeable, it has quite a nice story to it, although you can feel a little bit frustrated by an erratic pace throughout the book.

It starts in India, where we meet the two protagonists, a clever thief "The Falcon" and a young aristocrat who is se
kris
Oct 21, 2014 kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda is gifted a carved fertility statue. Philip "The Falcon" is hired to steal said carved fertility statue. Which he does. Until they end up on the same boat together, traveling back to England. Except now they have feelings for each other! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

1. THIS COVER IS A MESS.

2. So here's what happens next: So Amanda doesn't realize that Philip is a dirty rotten thief face; instead, she thinks he's a valet! So their flirting is tinged with this weird sense of wrong-ness! And then Aman
Lady Wesley
I adore Loretta Chase's books. However, I do not adore: stories set in India, stories set on the high seas, and stories where the mystery overshadows the romance. Consequently, I did not adore The Sandalwood Princess.
CJ Patrick
I have wanted to read this book for years but just got the chance this week thanks to ebooks. I didn't know exactly what to expect, just that it was well reviewed and not a typical regency romance. I can honestly say that this was definitely a different read. It was unique, surprising, alternately fast and slow paced, and contained some of the best writing I have read...ever. I have put off writing this review a bit because I just didn't know where to start.

First off, Ms. Chase has taken a relat
Julie
Nov 25, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
The cover advertises this book as a "Regency" romance. True, it is set during the regency period, and part of the book does take place in Yorkshire. However, this is not one of those polite regency novels about manners, "the season" or ball gowns.
The book starts off in India. Amanda is given a statue by her good friend The Rani. A legend surrounds the statue, but Amanda has no idea the monetary value of the relic. Amanda has the statue for less than an hour before she is attacked and the statue
Sandra
Jun 24, 2013 Sandra rated it it was ok
I really liked Amanda but the hero Philip was a selfish unlikeable ass who never actually improves. He steals the statue from her (assaulting her in the execution) for no other reason than money. He was a soldier and is now a lord, stealing as a spy for his country is acceptable, for cash when he has no need of the money is not. Then when Amanda cleverly steals (and is it even stealing when she is obtaining her OWN PROPRERTY) it back. Philip then rants about what a bitch she is for stealing from ...more
Oriana
Mar 28, 2009 Oriana rated it really liked it
Amanda is a feisty even if sometimes too trusting heroine, but she’s also funny and very perceptive. Just the kind of girl I love to read about. When the story starts, she is about to leave her adoptive country, India, where she lived several years with her brother. Since he married, she felt that her presence was not really welcomed by her sister-in-law and decided to return to England.
In her last night in the country, she visits a princess who gives her a very mysterious statue, The Sandalwoo
KJ, Madame Librarian
Eh. Not my favorite. I think I would have bailed out if it weren't Chase. Apparently, at some point, ListenAlaska bought her entire oeuvre. But, judging by the reviews here, some people LAHV it which...eh. Also, Padji? More than a little racist, my friends.
H2bourne
Oct 29, 2013 H2bourne rated it liked it
This is a far-fetched but engrossing read that takes you from India to England and, finally, back to India. It is more than a romance. There is intrigue, alter egos, exotic heritage and much more. Julie's review is excellent in encapsulating the storyline and I heartily agree with her perspective. I would say this is 3 - 3-1/2 stars.
Melowin
Sep 29, 2011 Melowin rated it liked it
A very solid story, the best-paced and plotted of her six traditional Regencies. As opposed to the rest, this one doesn't have much action in London, so no boring Season, beaux, etc. (which can get tiresome after a while). Instead, it's an exciting tale that begins in India and travels with the characters through to England (and back).
Lita Bouquard
Jan 12, 2014 Lita Bouquard rated it it was ok
This book has elements that should make me like it - an exotic location, a mystery, but this was the most disappointing Chase book I have read. It feels like it was written along time ago. There is only kissing romance and even that is skimpy. But the plot was confusing and a lot took place on a ship with Amanda who is leaving India without a treasure given to her by a powerful Indian woman, but was stolen within 24 hours of possessing it. The fertility stature was taken by "The Falcon" the most ...more
Maqluba
The overall story was great.. Only problem was there was a lot (and I mean A LOT) of time jumps. This whole book's time duration is almost 2 years I think.. I think the time jumps when they were traveling was necessary but after that those weren't- and that's where I started to disconnect a little bit.
I did like the hero and the heroine and all the side characters and the overall regency-style story so I have no complaints really other than the time jumps. I still def recommend this if you're l
Sharyn
Jun 20, 2015 Sharyn rated it liked it
This is an early book, 1990, which I have had in hardback on my shelf for quite sometime. Finally decided to read it and it was OK. Hard to follow in the beginning, and a strange ending. Takes place in India, then 7 months on a ship back to England, then back to India!! The "hero" is not very heroic, though I did like the heroine, although I had difficulty knowing how much she really knew about what was happening. Quite flowery language. Sometimes it is fun to read early works and see how an aut ...more
Malin

Philip Astonley, youngest son of the Viscount Felkoner, also known as the Falcon to a select few (which is surprising to me as it's not exactly a secret identity very different from his family name), is hired by the wealthy and powerful Marquess of Hedgrave to steal a sandalwood statue and bring it from India to England. He can barely believe his luck when he discovers that the statue is given as a gift to Miss Amanda Davencourt as a farewell gift from her dear friend, the Rani Simhi, a
Jane Stewart
Liked it but would have preferred more romance and passion.

I read this book a year ago, but did not get around to posting the review until now. I may have rated this a little lower than it deserved, because I was looking for romance and passion. At the time, I was disappointed that this was more women's fiction than a romance novel. Some of my thoughts about the story follow.

I laughed when Falcon became Amanda's butler for five months. I enjoyed how she said she'd never find someone able to tra
Christiana
Loretta Chase can write no wrong in my books, I loved Lord of Scoundrels, Silk is for Seduction, Scandal wears Satin, Knaves Wager. so I decided right after finishing KW to acquire SP even though I had previously read an excerpt of the first couple of pages and it didn't spark an interest then. Somehow I knew Ms Chase would not disappoint.
First and foremost I thought Padji was awesome! I just had this image of the Robin Williams as the Genie from Disney's Aladdin every time Padji spoke, except w
Alice
Nov 22, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful in every way

How can I describe original? Original plot with exotic India location and mythology. Two unique people come together: a warm, loving heroine with a core of steel and a dubious, multifaceted, damaged hero with confused ethics. And behind it all the Rani, a Hindu princess pulls the strings. Absolutely a great romance filled with surprises. My only regret is that I can't give more than five stars.
Tam B.
Jan 24, 2013 Tam B. rated it it was ok
I gather this was an earlier book by this author and it shows. Not that it wasn't a good story but for me it lacked the banter that I believe mark her later books as delightful.

The setting of this book wasn't conducive to giving the hero and heroine opportunities to interact without consequences - he was almost always portrayed as a servant. So whilst they got to know each other, enjoy the others company and lay a solid foundation for a relationship, I really would have preferred less of that s
Cherie
Mar 10, 2014 Cherie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, e-book
This was good. Lots of twists and turns. However, I still don't buy into the scenario where the hero/heroine deceives the other and they still live happily ever after. Most people do not have the capacity to overcome that level of humiliation.
Nelia
Mar 29, 2015 Nelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluffstuff, mystery
3 is a little generous. A so-so offering from Chase, who I find can rise to great heights and also write some truly terrible books. This falls in the mediocre middle.
Lesli
Enjoyable fluff. Not any different from every other Regency romance. That is sort of what makes these enjoyable. A guaranteed HEA.
Larissa Campos
I'm not really sure if I should mark this as historical romance. It's historical, it's romance, but it doesn't really seem to fit the shelf.
That being said, it is a lovely story. There is actually a lenghty relationship developed in page, not based on character memories we never get to read or spur of the moment whirlwind passion. There are dangers and hidden facts on both sides and no misunderstanding or stupidity for the sake of plot.
It's a clean book, no graphic scenes, hardly ever kissing ev
Scott Roberts
Nov 22, 2014 Scott Roberts rated it it was amazing
The book cover looks like one of my favourite books of all time. I give the book 5 stars.
notyourmonkey
Aug 27, 2009 notyourmonkey rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2009-read, kindle
A solid six - three-quality, three-enjoyment. I might have even liked it better than Lord of Scoundrels. Actual intrigue on both the hero and heroine's parts; no one's made out to look stupid; the attraction is at least based partially on mututal conversation and appreciation of each other's company rather than solely raging hormones.

Knocked down from a seven or eight due to dodgy colonialism issues.
Annette Meier
Not a lot of adventure or romance in this story . . . over half the book was on the ship!
Jule
Aug 13, 2013 Jule rated it really liked it
Louise Allen
Dec 28, 2012 Louise Allen rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this because of the setting, the unusual plot and the characters and found once I had the opportunity to reflect on it afterwards, that I had happily ignored some over-exagerated characterisation (the Indian manservant) and the improbability of the hero's persona as the Falcon. The hero and heroine behaved cosnistently, their backstories were interesting and I really cared how things turned out for them.
RIF
Oct 21, 2013 RIF rated it really liked it
Read so long ago that it was almost new to me. Early work, clean, but all the hallmarks of ms chase's best. The relationship develops between multi layered characters, with intimate moments, revealing dialogue, trust, deception and redemption. The heroine especially grows and by the end we see her as the hero does, powerful alluring intelligent and loveable. Very good romance.
Dottiebears
Nov 26, 2013 Dottiebears rated it liked it
This is the worst book I've read by one of my favorite authors. In fact this is the only book of Chase's that I haven't loved. I kept on reading it hoping it would improve, but it didn't. I disliked both the h and the H and hoped that they wouldn't reproduce....
Ilze
Sep 03, 2010 Ilze rated it really liked it
A delight from start to finish. After finishing the book I had to go back to the beginning to figure out that Rani had known (in fact planned) what was going to happen right from the very start. Tons of humour and farcical touches add to the enjoyment.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 10, 2015 07:56PM
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal (Waite, #2)
  • The Indiscretion
  • The Deception
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • The Bad Baron's Daughter
  • A Christmas Collection
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...