Start by marking “Don't Say a Word” as Want to Read:
Don't Say a Word

Don't Say a Word (Don't Cry #2)

Cross Your Heart. . .

One by one, they will die. He has waited patiently, planning their final moments. Their tortured screams, their pleas for mercy--all will be in vain. . .

And Hope. . .

Homicide detective Julia Cass has witnessed plenty of crime scenes. But the murder of a Chattanooga judge is shocking in its brutality. Teamed with FBI agent Will Brannock, Julia delves i
Published July 31st 2012 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Say a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Say a Word

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I enjoyed this romantic suspense novel from Beverly Barton, who passed away not too long ago (may she rest in peace, leaving the literary world with many of her wonderful books as a legacy). The mystery was well done, and so was the developing relationship between Julia and Will. I'd recommend it to romantic suspense readers.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur in the August issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
This is the last book we will ever get from Beverly may she RIP. I dont know if it was knowing that or what but this was a great book. This is the sequel to Don't Cry.

Homicide detective Julia Cass (J.D. sister) decides to move to Chattanooga to start a new life with the Homicide Division and be closer to her brother after losing her partner in the line of duty. JD has asked his partner FBI agent Will Brannock to pick her up at the airport. After seeing him send off his one night stand she doesn
Marj
Oct 16, 2012 Marj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Great read! the story is about a serial killer called tongue slasher who murders people by hanging them and cutting their tongue. special agent will bannock and chatanooga police detective julia cass team up to investigate the murders and find killer.
I did feel that the pacing between victim one and two was slow (ran for half of the story). And there were too many scenes building the romance of will and julia that i think the writer was confused if she was writing a suspense thriller or a love s
Alex is The Romance Fox
I really wanted to like this book...I have really liked a lot of her previous ones and being the last book the author wrote before she died, I was actually looking forward to it.

But somehow, the story and the characters failed to ignite me.
There was such a lot of things going on that after a while I had to page back to check who was who and what was what.
Also felt the writing was a bit stilted...at times I felt it was someone else writing this book.

It's sad we won't get more books by this author
Blender
Jun 16, 2014 Blender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is intense, a serial killer with a point to prove. The suspense held me all the way to the end, I totally did not see the killer being who it was. Loved the romance of Will & Julia.
Daphne
Jul 19, 2016 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t say a word, the 2nd series to Don’t cry; the story begins with the introduction of J.D. Cass sister, Julia Cass who is a homicide detective have decided to move to Chattanooga to be nearer to her family i.e. her brother, niece and her brother’s fiancé Audrey Sherrod. Julia’s brother was stuck in a trial and have asked Will Brannock, his partner to fetch Julia from the airport, this is where things were interesting, Will who has a no-strings-attached relationship with an air stewardess was ...more
Lucy Dosch
Aug 05, 2012 Lucy Dosch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Homicide Detective Julia Cass transferred to the Chattanooga Police Department to be near her big brother, FBI agent J.D. Cass, she didn’t realize that she would be grabbing her first case on the way home from the airport and that she would be teamed up with her brother’s partner, Will Brannock. The guy looked more like a GQ model than an FBI agent, but once they get to the scene of the grizzly homicide, Will is all business.

The killer is definitely trying to send a message cutting out the
Nani
Oct 18, 2015 Nani rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-2015
Unlike the last book I read, which was a new writer’s first book, this one is an established writer’s last work. Beverly Barton died in 2011. Don’t Say A Word is the sequel to Don’t Cry, but having not read Don’t Cry, I can promise it’s holds its own as a stand alone book.

I knew going in that this was "suspense romance" or something like that, but I got the book as a freebie, or maybe a daily pick Nook deal so it wasn’t a great financial investment and I thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't too
D.M. Kilgore
Highlights- the two main characters were likeable. Yes, I get it, Will is one good looking man. It's always fun reading about easily recognizable places right here in my own backyard. I always loved that Barton's books were set in this area. The addition of some doggie supporting characters was endearing. Overall, I just wasn't all that impressed. The book felt rushed. It seemed to have a great skeleton, but then it just kind of fizzled out. I figured out who the killer was by chapter 12. He was ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Aug 22, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it was my first book from Beverly Barton.

Imagine Julia Cass decides to move back to Chattanooga to spend more time with her friends and family, who she dearly misses. Plus losing a partner whom she is still trying to get over from the police dept she figures a new start in a new town. WELL......
As soon as she lands in Chattanooga and is picked up by the hunk Will Brannock, things greatly change. As adorable and Catherine Zeta-JOnes she resembles they end up working a
Emma
Dec 31, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although its an enjoyable enough read, I found Don't Say A Word a little too predictable and far too clichéd. With characters names straight out of a 70s cop drama (Max Hazard, really?) and a dialogue to match, I unfortunately couldn't get my teeth into this one as much as I'd hoped. That said, the story itself is fast enough paced that I kept wanting to pick the book up to find out who the Tongue Slasher was, what the secrets were surrounding Will, and of course to see the romance between Will ...more
Samantha Hopkins
Fantastic edge of your seat suspense thriller! Although the ending was disappointing because it well ended so quick with no epilogue to explain what happens next and believe me, it needed something with all the details the author had put into the relationships of the characters. But, I found out the Author died before finishing the book and a secondary person had to complete the story. Perhaps this is why the ending is so abrupt? Either way, I loved it throughout, but I would have loved an epilo ...more
Holly (Gladriel Fae)
I liked the familiar characters, and there was a bit of a twist at the end, but I didn't like how the author kept repeating the characters hesitancy to get involved with each other. She also referred to an incident that happened in the very beginning so much that I began to get annoyed.. She left a few things hanging and could have focused more on different aspects of the plot rather than the characters attraction to one another that they continually fought and she repeatedly pointed out. It was ...more
Julia
Oct 16, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable book. I have only recently discovered the books of Beverly Barton and I really enjoy them. The serial killer was creepy, but the big reveal did not come as a total surprise. There were not many characters in the book, so unless the killer is totally random, there are not many suspects for the reader to choose from.

I enjoyed the blossoming romance between Will and Julia. It was a nice part of the story, without overshadowing the thriller part.
Amy Mcdonald
Jul 29, 2013 Amy Mcdonald rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a dissapointment to me, I loved all of Beverly Barton's book that i have read!! I know mrs. Barton passed away in 2011, and her voice in the romantic suspense genre will be missed!!! But i found out this book was not written by her after i read it, that was very unfair to her fans, her family should not have released this book!! When it was written by someone else, in her memory!! Skip this book, and read the eariler books, that was written by mrs. Barton!!!!!
Kaitlin
This one was MUCH better than Don't Cry. Julia was a much more realistic heroine. It was still a bit over the top (Will's wealth, their cold-cold-cold-hot romance) but all in all I liked it a lot. I wish there had been more at the end that wrapped up Will's personal issues though. I was sad when it ended because I wanted more. I dinged one star because it was still really predictable (I've found all of her books very predictable so this isn't anything unexpected just mildly disappointing)
Nykol
Aug 17, 2015 Nykol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand how this book has accomplished 4 stars. Her writing is atrocious. All of the characters are superficial, she repeats too much, about asinine things in an asinine manner. She focuses WAY too much on the main characters' relationship instead of the actual murder investigation. Easily one of the worst things I've ever read. At least it was a fast read.
Kerrence James
Jan 02, 2013 Kerrence James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a great writer, this is my second BB book. I wasn't very happy with the end, it just ended!!! but I will go on to read her other books now. with bb she gives you everything you want,mystery,suspense, romance and a bloody good murder.
Carrie
Jan 14, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the suspense, twist and turns and how I had to keep guessing who the killer was. Still didn't get it right! This was one I had to read with the covers tucked up to my chin. A great story for sure.
Ann
Aug 19, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. I really enjoyed the characters in this latest series from Beverly Barton -- its a shame that we can't follow their story further. Hard to believe there will be no more books from this wonderful author. RIP Beverly Barton.
Lili
Sep 25, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This police procedural is also a dark thriller, but above all it is a romance between two cops, both who have past demons to fight. This enjoyable read was Beverly Barton's last book and for me a fitting tribute to her long career.
Nyss
Nov 29, 2012 Nyss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book scared me a little even though it does not talk about supernatural things. The only thing I don't like is that the lead character left her too-kind-therefore-boring husband to be for someone who is mysterious-and-suplado. Come on girl, where's your common sense?
Iyanna
Aug 24, 2012 Iyanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading Beverly B,books she will be missed,no more will her vision have a voice(RIP)This book started strong,but toward the middle the pace slowed down,the plot is good,Don't give up when it slows,it only get better the more that u read
Lanaont30
Aug 23, 2012 Lanaont30 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books! I loved it! I enjoyed the fact that you got to continue following J.D and Audrey's story. I was a little sad to finish this book because I'm sure it will be the last in this series due to Beverly's passing.
Robin simpson
80% of this book is about two people that have the horneys for each other. And that's it, and they act like two 16 year old teenagers . The other 20% is a lame . too bad it was a good idea
Marla
Jul 23, 2014 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I was so sorry to hear about Beverly Barton's passing. Her books will be sorely missed. This was a really good book. Both a thriller and a romance all rolled into one.
Judi
May 10, 2013 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up to Don't Cry. Too bad it's Beverly's last book ever. I think she could have turned it into a trilogy.
Clare
Aug 20, 2014 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was OK, but I found it hard to care about the characters which is starnge as I normally love Beverly Barton's books but this one just didn't seem to have the magic in it.
♥ Nell ♥
A great romantic-suspense! Only downside is that the investigation side of things was a bit slow at the beginning, It wasn't until the second murder that the ball really got rolling.
Edward
Sep 17, 2012 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters, good plot, but some strange glitches in the writing style which made me wince and threw me off at times.
  • Nowhere to Run (Nowhere, #1)
  • The Seventh Victim (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (Tara Holloway, #3)
  • Vortex (Cutter Cay, #3)
  • Dead Surround (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • The Widow's Daughter: A Novel
  • Serial Games (Virginia Justice, #1)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • Logan's Outlaw (Men of Defiance, #4)
  • Twisted (Tracers, #5)
  • Vanished (Edgars Family, #4)
  • The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid, #5)
  • Killer Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #3)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Afraid To Die (To Die #4)
  • Highlander's Bride (Heart of the Highlander, #1)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton...

Don't Cry (2 books)