Start by marking “Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth” as Want to Read:
Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth

Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
SA's super detective shares his life and his most famous cases
Published August 26th 2011 by Umuzi (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Byleveld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Byleveld

Wenchy
Oct 26, 2012 Wenchy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To give a book a five star rating, means it comes highly recommended.

If you reading this book, you either fascinated by the legend which is Piet Byleveld or you read crime novels or non fiction regarding. To me, the book was Patricia Cornwell on steroids. The book is as much about Mr Byleveld as it is about each of the victims, murderers and their respective families.

I read the book in a total of four hours and yes, I wanted to go make sure the back door is locked by the end. Mine dumps, high h
Phillipa
So this is the book I bought from the dinner I went to with a friend. I've just got round to reading it now because my boyfriend borrowed it first. I ploughed thru it in 2 days. It was an easy and fascinating read. Honestly. I had no idea South Africa was so high up there on the Serial Killer list ... I mean we watch all these tv shows and movies set in America and I guess somehow I always associate most Serial Killers with there. But after reading this I know we could have our own tv show or mo ...more
Derek Baldwin
3.5/5 Interesting though unsettling look at some of the key cases worked on by the renowned eponymous South African cop. There are some appalling people described within these pages. unfortunately the author is all too fond of cliche and sensationalist tricks to make the book work as a whole and the cases, while fascinating, only have a very loose biographical thread linking them. this is a great shame as Piet is a genuinely interesting and admirable man, clearly with great intelligence and inte ...more
Diane V-R
Mar 04, 2012 Diane V-R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grizzly but compelling reading. Everyone in my Bookclub has rated this book 9/10. I tend to agree.
Grant
Whilst learning about history, regardless of era; whether more recent or ancient. One is taught that the author is subject to bias; perception is influenced at the time writing; and personal opinion. Hanlie Retief takes this to the extreme though. Although there are blithe attempts to cover up this fact, it is pitifully obvious that she has more than a school yard crush on Byleveld. The reader is slogged along for the ride; often at times gratingly so.

It is such a pity as the subject matter is
Donovan van Eetveldt
A swift factual telling of the stories of some of South Africa's most notorious serial killers. Simultaneously Retief guides the reader through the rise of super cop Piet Byleveld.

For me the book does not as much highlight Byleveld's superhuman talents, as much as his drunken dedication, and his simple human passion to see justice served in a nation that has slowly begun to awaken from the dream of a "rainbow nation", to a reality of violent crime and widespread governmental incompetence.

Bylevel
Amanda
May 03, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piet Byleveld, baasspeurder, oudbrigadier. Almal het al van hom gehoor en gelees. Op die boekomslag word geskryf hy 'word wêreldwyd gereken as een van die beste speurders van ons tyd'.

Die boek is nie net 'n biografie nie maar vertel ook van die sake waaraan hy gewerk het en opgelos het.

'n Deeglike speurder kom 'n mens agter terwyl jy die boek lees, terwyl hy besig is om 'n saak op te los sowel as by die hofsake. Hy het telkemale sukses behaal en geregtigheid laat geskied.

Die boek vertel ook va
Eddy
I liked this book. Why? Well, because local is lekker. I would give this book 3.5 stars.

It's an interesting read with a lot of insight into the old school police force in South Africa. It's a quick and easy read with well organized chapters. The cases are frighteningly scary and it is very sad to see what actually goes on on our doorstep. Yea sure this kind of thing happens every where in the world, but you don't read about it every day and to read some of the cases that took place is really eye
Zani
Love the man and his stories but at times I absolutely cringed at the writing. Hopefully a true master of crime writing will some day rewrite his stories.
SwanSongRebeL
Jul 21, 2014 SwanSongRebeL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it tremendously. An easy read and quite terrifying to think that serial killers are all around us. Thanks to Byleveld so many cases were solved. I recommend it!
Eugene
Nov 17, 2015 Eugene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will have you locking your doors and considering everyone you meet with suspicion.
Colette Pienaar
May 03, 2015 Colette Pienaar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dark side of humanity exposed. Horrific, but incredibly interesting.
Nina
Enjoyed it a lot for what it was. If you like crime and serial killers.
Tamarin Dowling
4.5
This was a page turner of note!
I read Micki Pristorius's "Catch ME a killer" first and found it very interesting reading about some of the same crimes from different perspectives (the investigator and the profiler).
I did think it strange that Byleveld doesn’t mention Micki in his book but Micki mentions Byleveld...makes you wonder!?!

Anyway really good storyline, great writing!

I really, really, really hope this is not the last we hear from Byleveld and Hanlie – I’m sure Byleveld has many more
Craig
May 04, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Brings it home.
Maria
Feb 12, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant! Easy to read and simple. Insightful in that it is as much about the detective's personalty as about the cases. An inside view into his character and methods for detecting.
Sally Seymore
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. Many of the stories were familiar as one hears the cases progressing on the news, but here was an in depth account of how the killers were tracked down. I think SA is poorer for losing Piet Byleveld as he has retired from the police force. He iwas a magnificent and dedicated detective and well done to Hanlie Retief who put all this information into an enjoyable, albeit grim book.
Lesetja
Aug 20, 2013 Lesetja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great non-fiction book revealing the personal life/history of a South African super detective, Piet Byleveld, who successfully solved horrifying serial homicides in the country. It also unveils on how he became one of the top detectives in the world with his creativity when it comes to catching suspects.
It is a lovely book to read if you are fascinated by true crimes and enjoy non-fiction.
Jacquelyn Anderson
Not great literature but pretty compelling reading despite the gruesome subject matter. I was gripped from the first case which happened to involve a victim from my home town. I had no idea there were so many serial killers in South Africa and I really admire the skill,persistence, and determination of Piet Byl. He seems to have a six sense for getting to the truth where villains are concerned.
Stacey Walter
Mar 21, 2013 Stacey Walter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely thrilling read! It made me feel quite ignorant of the things that happen all around us here in SA and definitely made me wish this man didn't have to retire, although he definitely deserves it. I would recommend this to everyone but definitely to my fellow South Africans! :)

Riana Snyders
Aug 26, 2013 Riana Snyders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: afrikaans
Baie goed geskryf. Dink die sal een van die beste boeke wees wat ek die jaar gelees het. Kon nieophou lees nie, met elke bladsy moet jy net sien wat gebeur op die volgende bladsy. Het my so biekie wakker gehou in die nag ook so wees gewaarsku.
Kim
yeah - this was okay
i did expect it to be less boring considering the man and his history - and what he does
i wonder if the author or the man was the problem
the result was a bit like swimming in jelly
Lebo Bucibo
Nov 13, 2013 Lebo Bucibo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a read. Beside his personality which entices his suspect to develop trust and open up to him, Piet does not say much about what else has made him sleuth superstar.

But was a very good read after all.
Robyn
Jul 05, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book as close to home so it has you on the edge of your seat. Warning: you will lock your doors and go check on your children once you are done reading this.
Sean de la Rosa
I didn't know of Byleveld till I stumbled onto this book at Exclusive a few weeks ago. Byleveld is such an unassuming character. Excellent contents, but the narration was weak.
Francois Pienaar
Scary look into the underbelly of crime in South Africa.
Anemari Jansen
Hanlie Retief kan `n lekker storie vertel, en haar onderwerp in Byleveld leen homself by uitstek daartoe. Die boek het my gefassineer. ...more
Tania
Sep 12, 2014 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, be prepared to finish this in a day or two, as you won't be able to put it down. Obviously also upsetting
Nina Mensing
Jan 23, 2013 Nina Mensing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved the writing style, linking the interviews and his personality to the crimes that he investigated over time.
Barend
Mar 23, 2012 Barend rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting facts about crime in our country and due to nature of the topic, pretty dark.
  • Dis Ek, Anna
  • Moerbeibos
  • Devil's Valley
  • Die staat teen Anna Bruwer
  • Griet skryf  'n sprokie
  • Killing Kebble: An Underworld Exposed
  • The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa
  • Raka
  • 7 dae (Bennie Griessel, #3)
  • Like Clockwork (Clare Hart, #1)
  • Vaselinetjie