Start by marking “Learning to Fly” as Want to Read:
Learning to Fly

Learning to Fly

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this delightful new novel, popular author Roxanne Henke (the Coming Home to Brewster series, "The Secret of Us"), offers readers a wonderful story of mothers and daughters.

Susan Shaffer is a new mom filled with doubt as she and her husband, Seth, welcome little Lily into their lives. Each time Susan thinks she just might have a handle on this "mothering thing," Lily dis
Published February 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Fly

Michelle
This engrossing novel is better than a parenting book! And if you you see a frustrated, self-conscious mom in the store with a kid having a conniption fit, do her a favor and tell her about this book. Seriously. You may just save her some heartache.

Learning to Fly is about parenting and the heart of a mother. But it's even more than that. It's about marriage and friendship and peer pressure. It's about the consequences of not speaking up and of letting your child get what they want all the time.
Teresa
Jul 16, 2008 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teresa by: Lisa
I learned that some moms are good, and some are clueless. One of the moms, I just wanted to smack up side the head for all the ridiculous things she did (and didn't do) while raising her kids. It also helps you see that to be a good mom, you don't really have to be a perfect mom.
Marcie
I'm almost at the end. I've learned so much from this book.
Beth Peninger
I thought this book was a great parenting manual! Henke did a superb job in showing the results and consequences of parenting styles - namely being a parent or being a friend. And the truth is you cannot be both. Children need a parent not a friend. They can, and should, get their friends elsewhere. Two parenting styles are represented in the book and the one made me so angry and so disturbed and frankly so disgusted that I almost had to put down the book! What I also loved about the book was He ...more
Brianna Lewis
One of my favorite books and the best book I have read on parenting bar none. It is encouraging, uplifting and has great advice. I cannot recommend it to highly! I love this author! Her books are real and have wonderful, relatable characters.
Jan
May 18, 2008 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any female
I just started this book, and I already know it will be a favorite. It is about a mother raising a daughter and her reflections as her daughter grows up.

From the very first page, I could relate to her and her feelings of suddenly being a mother. Reading this has been like traveling back in time to when I was suddenly a mother to a baby girl and feeling again all the overwhelming love and fear that I felt when she was first handed to me. And then I am reminded of how quickly the time has flown, a
Kate
I'm remembering just why I really enjoy Roxanne Henke's work. She writes well, and isn't afraid to tackle sensitive subjects. This book dealt with underage drinking, drug use, and other challenges that youth face, but it dealt with it in a way that was honest, yet clear on what God wants of those who have chosen to follow Him.
I also really loved the way the characters were written. Lily was my favourite, but I loved Susie too, and hoped that JoJo and Tiffany would eventually figure things out. I
Connie
I absolutely loved this book! Any one with daughters should read it. It is about two mothers and their daughters it follows them from birth to graduation. The one mother is very lenient with her daughter and lets her do what she wants. She has money so she buys her daugthter anything she wants and is more of a friend then a mother the other mother gives her daughter guidelines and values to follow but also gives her lots of love. It shows the different ways these girls lives go because of the wa ...more
Donia
Sep 24, 2010 Donia added it
I'm giving this book 4 stars....although I'd really like to give it 3.5. The plot was like reading stereotyped characters from 2 extreme viewpoints....making the story rather predictable and not too gripping. However, the plot did keep my interest enough, was very CLEAN, and most importantly made me think more about the way I parent and areas that I should improve upon. It also made me want to enjoy my own children so much more!
Beth
Roxanne Henke's books are all easy reads with a positive message and always clean. I keep reading Henke's books in hopes that she'll write another one as good as her first book (After Anne), but that hasn't happened yet. This book tells of two mothers and their journey through motherhood. The two mothers are friends but have very different parenting styles.
Amy
This was a quick, sweet, book that really re-affirmed my commitment to raise my children the way God teaches us to. (Well I am trying my hardest anyway). I enjoyed the format of the book, it changes who tells the story each chapter. It is a fiction book but I almost forgot that. I think any mother would enjoy this book.
Kirsten
A good Christian book that stresses laying a strong foundation for your child so that they can grow into successful adults. It also helped me realize that having girls means that you should not only save up for their college years but also for their "fashion fund" for junior high and high school!
Terri
I loved this book as it follows two moms and daughters from infancy to college. One girl goes one way and the other goes another way. It was interesting to see the struggles each girl goes through and how they related to my own daughter.
Lisa
I loved this book! A parenting book and great novel in one! Prompted a lot of self reflection about the way I parent. I really enjoyed the two women's very different parenting styles and experiences. It was a really good thought-provoking read!
Marcia Wuest
Although this is a fictional story, it has much wisdom for parenting and faith throughout. I like how it was told from multiple perspectives as well.
Pat
A really interesting book that contrast 2 styles of parenting. It is a little too black and white, but I still enjoyed reading it.
Jenna
The book was decent but there were too many points in general. I didn't like the parts when Lily wrote. It was not a great read for me.
Sheri
Jul 31, 2008 Sheri added it
Good reminder to me to set limits for my son now, it only gets harder as he gets older. Really enjoyed this uplifting book.
Melissa
A little preachy about the right way to parent, but overall sweet story about 18 years of parenting and learning to let go.
Kimberly Maynard
Jun 10, 2008 Kimberly Maynard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms, friends, family
Shelves: 2008-reads
This was a pretty good book on parenting..what to do and what not IMO. I learned a thing or two.
Christine
An absolutely amazing book, yet again, from Roxy!!
Linda
A perfect book for moms everywhere, very touching story...
Tonja Jensen
Tonja Jensen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Jennifer Palmer
Jennifer Palmer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Diane Simpson
Diane Simpson is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Till Morning Is Nigh (Country Road Chronicles #3)
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • One More Sunrise
  • Illuminated (An August Adams Adventure, #1)
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • Wagered Heart
  • Splitting Harriet
  • Miss Invisible
  • A Day with a Perfect Stranger
  • All for One (The Four Lindas, #3)
  • It's Not About Me (Second Glances, #1)
  • The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney
  • The Elevator
  • Falling for You Again
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Baptists at Our Barbecue
  • The Independence Club
  • Heart Echoes
After Anne (Coming Home to Brewster, #1) Finding Ruth (Coming Home to Brewster, #2) Becoming Olivia (Coming Home to Brewster, #3) With Love, Libby (Coming Home to Brewster, #5) Always Jan (Coming Home to Brewster, #4)