Sightings: The Gray Whales' Mysterious Journey

Sightings: The Gray Whales' Mysterious Journey

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Traces the lives of gray whales during their migrations between Alaska and Mexico, from their summer feeding grounds in the Bering Sea to winter birthing lagoons in Baja, examining their rich history including the conflict between their hunters and environmental protectors. Reprint.
Published July 1st 2003 by National Geographic

I read this because a friend of mine works on whale watch tours in Puget Sound, and the season for gray whale migration in my region was approaching, and I wanted to know more about the whales. I appreciated how this book contained two perspectives, and through the authors' experiences and interviews, brought more opinions together into one volume. A pro-whale thread definitely pervaded, but the space was held to learn more about Native cultures with a connection to whaling – which could, I supp...more
electrickerrain
I recommend Linda Hogan's People of the Whale to people who like this book for further reading .
Cindy
This book touched my heart so very deeply and I've dreamed of visiting the breeding grounds near Baja ever since. What incredible creatures they are. I need to re-read this book soon.
Perfumesofarabia
Nice, but dropped it. I'd rather read fiction, this is not my kind of writing at all.
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Caity
Caity marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
retusa
retusa marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Liza
Liza is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Butterflywolf
Butterflywolf marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
kyliemm
kyliemm marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Berma
Berma marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Adria Dodici
Adria Dodici marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Abigale
Abigale marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Elissa Washuta
Elissa Washuta marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Diana W
Diana W marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda Hogan, Writer in Residence for The Chickasaw Nation, is an internationally recognized public speaker and writer of poetry, fiction, and essays.

Linda Hogan was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for her novel Mean Spirit. Her other honors include an American Book Award and a Guggenheim Fellowship. A former Professor at the University of Colorado she now lives and works in Oklahoma.
More about Linda Hogan...
Solar Storms Mean Spirit Power People of the Whale Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World