Start by marking “Sightings: The Gray Whales' Mysterious Journey” as Want to Read:
Sightings: The Gray Whales' Mysterious Journey

Sightings: The Gray Whales' Mysterious Journey

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Traces the lives of gray whales during their migrations between Alaska and Mexico, from their summer feeding grounds in the Bering Sea to winter birthing lagoons in Baja, examining their rich history including the conflict between their hunters and environmental protectors. Reprint.
Published July 1st 2003 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Sightings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sightings

I read this because a friend of mine works on whale watch tours in Puget Sound, and the season for gray whale migration in my region was approaching, and I wanted to know more about the whales. I appreciated how this book contained two perspectives, and through the authors' experiences and interviews, brought more opinions together into one volume. A pro-whale thread definitely pervaded, but the space was held to learn more about Native cultures with a connection to whaling – which could, I supp ...more
electrickerrain
I recommend Linda Hogan's People of the Whale to people who like this book for further reading .
Iris (The Sheep and the Wolf)
I gave this book to my dad as a gift, and at some point decided to read it for myself. This book might not be for everyone, but personally I loved it. It is very descriptive and many-stranded. Linda Hogan's language is extremely poetic and makes for a nice contrast with Brenda Peterson's slightly more detached account.
Cindy
This book touched my heart so very deeply and I've dreamed of visiting the breeding grounds near Baja ever since. What incredible creatures they are. I need to re-read this book soon.
Lauren
A wonderful book. I would recommend this to anyone who is passionate about gray whales.
Perfumesofarabia
Nice, but dropped it. I'd rather read fiction, this is not my kind of writing at all.
Lauren Piechota
Lauren Piechota marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Brianna Russell
Brianna Russell marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Nina P
Nina P marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Raquel Somatra
Raquel Somatra marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jody Hackerott gibney
Jody Hackerott gibney marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Economoose
Economoose marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Ine
Ine marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
learnreadimagine
learnreadimagine marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Caity
Caity marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
retusa
retusa marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Liza
Liza is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda K. Hogan (born 1947 Denver) is a Native American poet, storyteller, academic, playwright, novelist, environmentalist and writer of short stories. She is currently the Chickasaw Nation's Writer in Residence.

Linda Hogan is Chickasaw. Her father is a Chickasaw from a recognized historical family and Linda's uncle, Wesley Henderson, helped form the White Buffalo Council in Denver during the 1950
More about Linda Hogan...
Solar Storms Mean Spirit Power People of the Whale Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World